CSNbbs
Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? (/thread-672114.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - GaSoEagle - 01-13-2014 09:18 PM

We have 3 guaranteed spots next year. It would be nice to have 4 in 2015 when 2 more Sun Belt team become eligible to go to a bowl.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - gostAte870 - 01-13-2014 09:21 PM

I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - AppfanInCAAland - 01-13-2014 09:29 PM

(01-13-2014 09:21 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.

That's why I want that Charleston bowl, perfect for App and GaSo to alternate.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - chiefsfan - 01-13-2014 09:49 PM

Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

As for Little Rock...its still being worked on, but without a 2nd conference, the chances are slim.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Usajags - 01-13-2014 09:54 PM

Just give it time. There are bowls out there, like the BBVA Bowl in Birmingham, that so far doesn't have a sponsor for next season and may be willing to move the bowl to a city that they can get a sponsor. Lots of things can change over the next 30 days in college sports.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - HCJag - 01-13-2014 09:59 PM

(01-13-2014 09:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

As for Little Rock...its still being worked on, but without a 2nd conference, the chances are slim.

What's that all about? The flag thing?

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - chiefsfan - 01-13-2014 10:00 PM

(01-13-2014 09:59 PM)HCJag Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

Yep. NCAA has to be politically correct. A Bowl game in Charleston would most likely start a debate with the NAACP, and that is something you don't want.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - UnitedWeFanTXST - 01-13-2014 10:05 PM

We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Usajags - 01-13-2014 10:08 PM

(01-13-2014 10:05 PM)UnitedWeFanTXST Wrote:  We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.

+1

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - trojanbrutha - 01-13-2014 10:09 PM

(01-13-2014 10:00 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:59 PM)HCJag Wrote:  

Yep. NCAA has to be politically correct. A Bowl game in Charleston would most likely start a debate with the NAACP, and that is something you don't want.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Georgia_Power_Company - 01-13-2014 10:09 PM

I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - chiefsfan - 01-13-2014 10:11 PM

(01-13-2014 10:09 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?

Our best hope is to get the AAC involved I think, but as of right now the AAC still thinks they can get a bowl with a P5 team.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - CajunFanatico - 01-13-2014 10:12 PM

(01-13-2014 10:05 PM)UnitedWeFanTXST Wrote:  We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.

The Belt needs to just buy those two conferences, keep the good teams and send the others to the Taint.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - HogWolf - 01-13-2014 10:46 PM

Little Rock has done a beautiful job with their downtown and entertainment district. It would be a great bowl city.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-13-2014 10:51 PM

(01-13-2014 09:21 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.

Hey we got our own bowl too... The Camellia bowl in Montgomery is just 40 mins down the road... Not to mention the 2nd largest Troy University satellite campus is in Montgomery.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - HogWolf - 01-14-2014 10:55 AM

(01-13-2014 10:09 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?

The MAC, AAC, and CUSA would be a great roatation with fans that could easily get to LR. LR has a good airport with Southwest Airlines to keep the rates low. I think Little Rock could be a very good bowl with plenty to do in the area. The SBC teams in the region would easily travel to LR.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Usajags - 01-14-2014 11:19 AM

Securing bowls that are all inside our footprint work great for fans. Keep schools close to home and sure to get a big crowd. The problem is the MAC side of it. They don't travel well historically and these bowls that are in Mobile and Montgomery are a long ride for them. We share a footprint with AAC and CUSA, would like to see more matchups with them.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - HogWolf - 01-14-2014 11:49 AM

(01-14-2014 11:19 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Securing bowls that are all inside our footprint work great for fans. Keep schools close to home and sure to get a big crowd. The problem is the MAC side of it. They don't travel well historically and these bowls that are in Mobile and Montgomery are a long ride for them. We share a footprint with AAC and CUSA, would like to see more matchups with them.

You make some good points about the MAC travel. The MAC teams do ok on TV rating though. The old CUSA was a great fit, but the new one is less so. As for CUSA- Marshall, LaTech, and Tulsa may catch some viewers, but UNT, Rice, USM, and UAB to a lesser degree. Travel wise- UNT, Latech, Tulsa, USM, UAB, and Rice would travel well to LR bowl.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - Usajags - 01-14-2014 12:09 PM

Yeah, that is why a few days ago I had suggested a bowl for the MAC in Indianapolis. Right in the middle of their footprint and if they tied it to CUSA or AAC could get some nice regional travel out of it. In this economy games closer to home is just better for a large turn out. A game in St Pete, in a bad building and a MAC team coming in just doesn't seem to work.

RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead? - HogWolf - 01-14-2014 03:22 PM

(01-14-2014 12:09 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Yeah, that is why a few days ago I had suggested a bowl for the MAC in Indianapolis. Right in the middle of their footprint and if they tied it to CUSA or AAC could get some nice regional travel out of it. In this economy games closer to home is just better for a large turn out. A game in St Pete, in a bad building and a MAC team coming in just doesn't seem to work.

That is a good idea.