Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville agrees to pay 11 million
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Louisville agrees to pay 11 million
To the AAC in order to leave league on July 2014 according to the AAC and McMurphy
11-13-2013 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Louisville agrees to pay 11 million
(11-13-2013 02:35 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  To the AAC in order to leave league on July 2014 according to the AAC and McMurphy

Here us the link

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...Conference
11-13-2013 02:37 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
$11 million plus approximately $18.5 million in left over NCAA credits.

Damn divorce is expensive.
11-13-2013 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

Louisville Reaches Agreement To Leave American July 1st, 2014
http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/11/13/...uly-1-2014

According to ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy, Louisville has agreed to pay a total of $11 million to the AAC so that it can part ways without issue. The agreement guarantees that Louisville's league transition will take place without the same court proceedings and appearances that have plagued conference realignment for the past few years.

I was 100% wrong on this one. I thought for sure UofL would wait and pay whatever Rutgers paid but it looks like Jurich decided to just settle things without waiting or involving the courts.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 02:43 PM by UofLgrad07.)
11-13-2013 02:40 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
wonder how much each team gets and if newbies like ECU, Tulsa, Tulane get any?
11-13-2013 02:40 PM
Lloyd64 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-13-2013 02:39 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  $11 million plus approximately $18.5 million in left over NCAA credits.

I know UfoL wants to be diplomatic about leaving, but why did they agree to pay more than Pitt and Syracuse?
11-13-2013 02:41 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Tom Jurich:

"I'm glad to have been able to work face-to-face with Mike Aresco to reach a fair settlement for us to depart the league a year early. All of us at the University of Louisville appreciate what the former Big East and American Athletic Conference have done for us and I see greatness ahead for the league under Mike's leadership."

Mike Aresco

“I am pleased to announce this agreement and pleased that Tom Jurich and I worked together in a spirit of friendship to complete it. I have great respect and admiration for Tom and for the manner in which Louisville conducted itself in our negotiations. We wish Louisville the best and appreciate what they have meant to our conference.”

It's expensive but glad we're not going out with lawsuits and hatred.
11-13-2013 02:43 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
If all sides are happy so be it...this settles any of the stuff that Dr. Ramsey put out last Friday.
11-13-2013 02:43 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-13-2013 02:40 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  wonder how much each team gets and if newbies like ECU, Tulsa, Tulane get any?

Since Louisville announced the split PRIOR to the entry of Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCF---Im going to guess that it gets distributed in the same 60-40 split as the rest of the realignment fund.

60% USF, UConn, Cincy

40% everyone else, with a slight advantage to schools here longer.
11-13-2013 02:44 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

RE: Louisville Reaches Agreement To Leave American July 1st, 2014
Few other tidbits:

http://louisville.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1574632

Sources told CardinalSports.com that Louisville's previous two $2.5 million payments will be included in the AAC exit fee. Louisville will pay $1.5 million per year in 2014-17 to settle their account with the AAC.

[...]

Rutgers and the AAC are still in negotiations for Rutgers move to the Big Ten. Boise State and the American Conference are set to enter a jury trial on July 1, 2014 to try to determine the proper exit fee for the Broncos.

West Virginia's messy divorce from the Big East ended up costing the program more than $20 million in exit and lawyer fees. Louisville's total will be $11 million.

[...]

Sources also told CardinalSports.com that Louisville's deal with the AAC was reduced in price because Louisville's willingness to work with the league to keep the dispute out of the courts.

So it looks like Louisville has already paid almost half their exit fee. The rest will be paid out over a multi-year period.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 02:47 PM by UofLgrad07.)
11-13-2013 02:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 02:43 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Tom Jurich:

"I'm glad to have been able to work face-to-face with Mike Aresco to reach a fair settlement for us to depart the league a year early. All of us at the University of Louisville appreciate what the former Big East and American Athletic Conference have done for us and I see greatness ahead for the league under Mike's leadership."

Mike Aresco

“I am pleased to announce this agreement and pleased that Tom Jurich and I worked together in a spirit of friendship to complete it. I have great respect and admiration for Tom and for the manner in which Louisville conducted itself in our negotiations. We wish Louisville the best and appreciate what they have meant to our conference.”

So, why was it so easy to work out a deal with Louisville, but we have a lawsuit with Rutgers? Does Rutgers just sign on for the same deal and withdraw the law suit?
11-13-2013 02:46 PM
Advertisement

TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
(11-13-2013 02:41 PM)Lloyd64 Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 02:39 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  $11 million plus approximately $18.5 million in left over NCAA credits.

I know UfoL wants to be diplomatic about leaving, but why did they agree to pay more than Pitt and Syracuse?

I think the contracts were re-negotiated after Pitt and Cuse announced they were leaving and the exit fee was increased.

I think it's a fair price to pay. The Big East / AAC was very good to us, and I'm glad Jurich is negotiating this our exit professionally.
11-13-2013 02:47 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 02:43 PM)Maize Wrote:  If all sides are happy so be it...this settles any of the stuff that Dr. Ramsey put out last Friday.

This may be why Ramsey said what he did. He didn't want to step on any toes when a deal was practiacally done.
11-13-2013 02:48 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(11-13-2013 02:46 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 02:43 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Tom Jurich:

Mike Aresco

So, why was it so easy to work out a deal with Louisville, but we have a lawsuit with Rutgers? Does Rutgers just sign on for the same deal and withdraw the law suit?

In short... I think the three main points may be:
1) Leadership at Louisville vs at Rutgers
2) Rutgers feels that they have somehow been wronged
3) Louisville has the money to pay and be done with it, Rutgers lacks cash and is desperate to try and lower the departure amount, even though it may end up costing more in attorney fees, etc than if they just settled.
11-13-2013 02:50 PM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
Kudos to Jurich and Louisville for not dragging this through the mud like West Virginia and Rutgers. It sucks you're leaving, but at least you're leaving with class.
11-13-2013 02:50 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-13-2013 02:44 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 02:40 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  wonder how much each team gets and if newbies like ECU, Tulsa, Tulane get any?

Since Louisville announced the split PRIOR to the entry of Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCF---Im going to guess that it gets distributed in the same 60-40 split as the rest of the realignment fund.

60% USF, UConn, Cincy

Not sure if this matters, but Louisville's departure was AFTER those teams were added to the conference but before Tulsa. It was prior to all but Temple actually playing in the BE/AAC, but after they were invited. ECU and Tulane were added as the replacement for Rutgers, and the (likely) loss of one more, but they were all added before Louisville was added to the ACC save for Tulsa.

But I am not sure how that figures into the equation.
11-13-2013 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
It's nice to see an amicable separation, even though I'll miss the UC-Louisville rivalry. BB and FB were always great games, played with a lot of emotion. 5 Dec should be electric!

Who knows what the future holds for both teams - we may meet again.
11-13-2013 02:54 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-13-2013 02:50 PM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  Kudos to Jurich and Louisville for not dragging this through the mud like West Virginia and Rutgers. It sucks you're leaving, but at least you're leaving with class.

The BIG EAST/American has done a lot for Louisville..it gave us the platform to really take off...Myself contrary to some belief on this board I am and many UofL Fans are supporters of the league and wish it will.
11-13-2013 02:55 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 02:53 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 02:44 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

60% USF, UConn, Cincy

Not sure if this matters, but Louisville's departure was AFTER those teams were added to the conference but before Tulsa. It was prior to all but Temple actually playing in the BE/AAC, but after they were invited. ECU and Tulane were added as the replacement for Rutgers, and the (likely) loss of one more, but they were all added before Louisville was added to the ACC save for Tulsa.

But I am not sure how that figures into the equation.

Im not really sure either. I am assuming the Lousiville and Rutgers exit fees were being included as an asset in the Big East/AAC divorce settlement. The AAC then met to figure out how to disperse that settlement cash. The 60%-40% split I described was how they did it. Im assuming this is just part of that wad of cash--but who knows for sure....
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 02:58 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2013 02:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 02:55 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 02:50 PM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  Kudos to Jurich and Louisville for not dragging this through the mud like West Virginia and Rutgers. It sucks you're leaving, but at least you're leaving with class.

The BIG EAST/American has done a lot for Louisville..it gave us the platform to really take off...Myself contrary to some belief on this board I am and many UofL Fans are supporters of the league and wish it will.

I wish both Rutgers and Louisville were staying. They make it better league---but when an opportunity like the B1G or ACC knocks, you have to answer. No hard feelings here. We all know how this works.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 03:00 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2013 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.