Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GSU opportunity for a near campus stadium
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaMountaineer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Appalachian St
GSU opportunity for a near campus stadium
Could the Atlanta Braves' decision to vacate Turner Field in 2017 be a great opportunity for Georgia State to convert Turner Field into its own near campus stadium?
11-11-2013 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: GSU opportunity for a near campus stadium
(11-11-2013 10:17 AM)AtlantaMountaineer Wrote:  Could the Atlanta Braves' decision to vacate Turner Field in 2017 be a great opportunity for Georgia State to convert Turner Field into its own near campus stadium?

I didn't think it would take long for this subject to come up...

In my opinion, no. I think GaSt is set up great at the Dome and would be foolish to move at this point or anytime in the immediate future. Finically, it just doesn't make since for them to build a stadium of their own or they would be doing it. They aren't dumb and simply refusing to build a stadium out of laziness. They'll do it when the time is right.

On a side note, I'd like to welcome the Braves to Smyrna!
11-11-2013 10:44 AM
G.A.T.A. Eagles Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Good Guys
(11-11-2013 10:17 AM)AtlantaMountaineer Wrote:  Could the Atlanta Braves' decision to vacate Turner Field in 2017 be a great opportunity for Georgia State to convert Turner Field into its own near campus stadium?

While Georgia State has funds I am not sure they would spend the amount of money it would probably cost to purchase that area when they will be able to use the new Falcons stadium. I also believe the new Falcon's stadium will have seating areas that can be blocked off?
11-11-2013 10:44 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The ATL is replacing 2 stadiums that are both not 20 years old.01-wingedeagle I don't care for the idea of the Braves moving out of downtown, that is the setting I'm used to and the setting I want when going.

As far as Georgia State, they are better off just leasing the dome for now, and following the Falcons to their new stadium. For short term that makes sense, and wait and see if they can get some kind of a following in Atlanta that would deem a OCS necessary.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 10:55 AM by Usajags.)
11-11-2013 10:51 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(11-11-2013 10:51 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The ATL is replacing 2 stadiums that are both not 20 years old.01-wingedeagle I don't care for the idea of the Braves moving out of downtown, that is the setting I'm used to and the setting I want when going.

As far as Georgia Southern, they are better off just leasing the dome for now, and following the Falcons to their new stadium. For short term that makes sense, and wait and see if they can get some kind of a following in Atlanta that would deem a OCS necessary.

[Image: Mega+Facepalm+Gif.+For+your+reaction+fol...384407.gif]
11-11-2013 10:54 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-11-2013 10:54 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:51 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The ATL is replacing 2 stadiums that are both not 20 years old.01-wingedeagle I don't care for the idea of the Braves moving out of downtown, that is the setting I'm used to and the setting I want when going.

As far as Georgia Southern, they are better off just leasing the dome for now, and following the Falcons to their new stadium. For short term that makes sense, and wait and see if they can get some kind of a following in Atlanta that would deem a OCS necessary.

Fixed it, was typing with my 1 year old in my arms and I lost concentration for a moment.
11-11-2013 10:56 AM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

(11-11-2013 10:56 AM)Usajags Wrote:  

Fixed it, was typing with my 1 year old in my arms and I lost concentration for a moment.

Just funnin you. Got my first one on the way so I'm sure I'm going to type some off the wall stuff.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 10:58 AM by TheEagleWay.)
11-11-2013 10:57 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-11-2013 10:57 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

Just funnin you. Got my first one on the way so I'm sure I'm going to type some off the wall stuff.

There are many post I post that I read afterwards and realize I have left out some pretty important words that change the whole meaning of the post.

Congrats on the kid, nothing is better.
11-11-2013 11:03 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

(11-11-2013 11:03 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:57 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

Congrats on the kid, nothing is better.

Thanks!
11-11-2013 11:12 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Really?!? The braves stadium opened in 1996!! They don't need a new stadium too!
11-11-2013 11:15 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
I haven't even checked out the reaction over on our board yet, but my feeling is that this makes more sense as a chance to get our other sports downtown (away from the unnecessarily distant Panthersville) than it does as a football stadium site.
11-11-2013 11:33 AM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
The Atlanta taxpayers sure are suckers for paying for two new stadiums already. I guess in 2035 we will see two more new stadiums.
11-11-2013 11:40 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

(11-11-2013 11:40 AM)slycat Wrote:  The Atlanta taxpayers sure are suckers for paying for two new stadiums already. I guess in 2035 we will see two more new stadiums.

FWIW, its two different counties I believe.

Fulton - Football stadium

Cobb- Baseball stadium

I have not seen the details of who is paying for the baseball stadium.
11-11-2013 11:43 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

As far as Georgia State, they are better off just leasing the dome for now, and following the Falcons to their new stadium. For short term that makes sense, and wait and see if they can get some kind of a following in Atlanta that would deem a OCS necessary.

Sounds like a huge waste of money.
11-11-2013 11:45 AM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Yeah. It's probably a big waste of money. I'm currently sitting in a cuban cafe in Downtown Atlanta and i've heard no less than three people complaining to the owner about them moving the Ted.
11-11-2013 11:48 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(11-11-2013 11:43 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 11:40 AM)slycat Wrote:  The Atlanta taxpayers sure are suckers for paying for two new stadiums already. I guess in 2035 we will see two more new stadiums.

FWIW, its two different counties I believe.

Fulton - Football stadium

Cobb- Baseball stadium

I have not seen the details of who is paying for the baseball stadium.

That helps but still crazy.
11-11-2013 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Hawks next?
11-11-2013 11:57 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Won't be the TED anymore. Was there any warning of this coming, or just the announcement this morning. I really like the TED, I like the setting and the stadium. As long as people quit falling over the railing it would be perfect. I'm sure the new stadium will be wonderful, but not sure it will be so much more that a new has to be built.
11-11-2013 11:58 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

(11-11-2013 11:58 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Won't be the TED anymore. Was there any warning of this coming, or just the announcement this morning. I really like the TED, I like the setting and the stadium. As long as people quit falling over the railing it would be perfect. I'm sure the new stadium will be wonderful, but not sure it will be so much more that a new has to be built.

This blindsided everyone. This idea wasn't debated or even rumoured.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 12:04 PM by TheEagleWay.)
11-11-2013 12:03 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Ya everyone in Atlanta is shocked... Didn't see this coming.
11-11-2013 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.