Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Something controversial?
Bookmark and Share
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
Something controversial?
Are the 2013 Cajuns the best Sun Belt grid iron team to date?

North Texas had a good run in the early going. Troy has had some good teams as well.

That said the Sun Belt of the last couple of years is much stronger than it has been in the past. And Louisiana is rolling through.

I only modestly followed Sun Belt football before WKU joined it. Are there other teams that could make a case?
11-08-2013 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
RE: Something controversial?
(11-08-2013 10:39 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Are the 2013 Cajuns the best Sun Belt grid iron team to date?

North Texas had a good run in the early going. Troy has had some good teams as well.

That said the Sun Belt of the last couple of years is much stronger than it has been in the past. And Louisiana is rolling through.

I only modestly followed Sun Belt football before WKU joined it. Are there other teams that could make a case?

I think Arkansas State last year was better than ULL's team this year. State just rolled after we beat them.
11-08-2013 10:43 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(11-08-2013 10:43 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 10:39 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Are the 2013 Cajuns the best Sun Belt grid iron team to date?

I think Arkansas State last year was better than ULL's team this year. State just rolled after we beat them.

I agree... The SBC isn't as strong this year as last year.
11-08-2013 10:46 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
I don't know. From what I saw of Louisiana in the game here, they just impressed the heck out of me. Big and still quick. Imposing. Especially Harris.
11-08-2013 10:49 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
A good question but one I'm not qualified to answer. Wouldn't some of the Troy teams from mid 2000's be considered the best there was in the Belt? And as other posters have stated, last year's stAte team was pretty dominating.
11-08-2013 10:52 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(11-08-2013 10:49 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  I don't know. From what I saw of Louisiana in the game here, they just impressed the heck out of me. Big and still quick. Imposing. Especially Harris.

Beating WKU does not impress me at this point.
11-08-2013 10:53 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-08-2013 10:49 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  I don't know. From what I saw of Louisiana in the game here, they just impressed the heck out of me. Big and still quick. Imposing. Especially Harris.

This UL team doesn't have the defense that last years ASU team did. Offenses are about the same, but ASU's defense was good enough last year that we could have scored a lot less and won.

This is a darn good UL team though.
11-08-2013 10:55 PM
Chrono124 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

To answer this question you should really look at some of the OOC wins that the teams have posted. There have been some really awesome wins in the past from SBC teams.
11-08-2013 10:59 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-08-2013 10:52 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  A good question but one I'm not qualified to answer. Wouldn't some of the Troy teams from mid 2000's be considered the best there was in the Belt? And as other posters have stated, last year's stAte team was pretty dominating.

To me the Troy team of 2007 and 2009 was very good. 07 we got that dominating win over Ok State.
11-08-2013 11:04 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I'm withholding judgment until the season is over. If UL wins out handily then they'll have a very good case to make.
11-08-2013 11:06 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(11-08-2013 10:43 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  

That ASU team was really good. They had the total package. We have an awesome offense that when clicking is fun to watch and virtually unstoppable. Our defense is average but very aggressive at striping balls and getting picks.
11-09-2013 07:37 AM
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
The Troy teams that beat Mizzou, and gave LSU fits were a cut above.

This Cajun team is very, very good, but due to some inexperience in the secondary struggles with the spread option teams at times.

Next year will be a culmination of some very good classes and culture change. Hope Hud is still around to finish the turn around.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 07:46 AM by CajunExpress.)
11-09-2013 07:42 AM
CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

No this is not the best team the SBC has seen too early we are 7-2 could easily end to season 8-4. There were some very good TROY, stAte and North Texas teams. Maybe ask this again at the end of the season but HUD is promising an even better team next year. Hope he's here to coach it.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 08:02 AM by CAJUNCOUNTRY.)
11-09-2013 07:55 AM
BankerCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

If the Cajuns win at least 2 more games that would give them 9 or more wins for the last 3 seasons... Has any Sun Belt teams won 9 or more games for 3 or more seasons?
11-09-2013 08:21 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(11-09-2013 07:55 AM)CAJUNCOUNTRY Wrote:  

No this is not the best team the SBC has seen too early we are 7-2 could easily end to season 8-4. There were some very good TROY, stAte and North Texas teams. Maybe ask this again at the end of the season but HUD is promising an even better team next year. Hope he's here to coach it.

Remember though, when UNT had a stranglehold on the conference it was a really weak football conference. They got punished in their first couple of bowl games.
Now that we have a week and a half to get fresh legs under us, lets see how we finish.
We dominate the last three games like we did Tx St, WKU and stAte then we can talk.

Z
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 08:23 AM by zeebart21.)
11-09-2013 08:22 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(11-09-2013 08:21 AM)BankerCajun Wrote:  If the Cajuns win at least 2 more games that would give them 9 or more wins for the last 3 seasons... Has any Sun Belt teams won 9 or more games for 3 or more seasons?

The longest dominating stretch is Troy from 2006 to 2010 when they went 9-4, 8-4, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-5. They went 2-2 in bowl games in that span. ULL is the only school to get 9 wins two years in a row with a solid chance for three straight years.
11-09-2013 08:40 AM
Advertisement

CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2013 08:40 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 08:21 AM)BankerCajun Wrote:  If the Cajuns win at least 2 more games that would give them 9 or more wins for the last 3 seasons... Has any Sun Belt teams won 9 or more games for 3 or more seasons?

The longest dominating stretch is Troy from 2006 to 2010 when they went 9-4, 8-4, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-5. They went 2-2 in bowl games in that span. ULL is the only school to get 9 wins two years in a row with a solid chance for three straight years.
I know we have a shot at 9 three years in a row but each year that 9th win has come in a bowl game what's the most wins anyone has gotten in the regular season and the most wins overall bowl included.
11-09-2013 08:55 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(11-09-2013 08:40 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

THAT'S the Troy teams to which I was referring. I've lived outside the States for a number of years now but recall when checking in on college football from time to time seeing that this previously-unknown (to me) team was knocking off some pretty stout competitors in D-1. Just the other night I learned that their coach has been there for decades. I like that kind of committment to a team, a university, a city, etc. Reminds me of Beryl Shipley with Cajun basketball.
11-09-2013 09:01 AM
Franko Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(11-09-2013 08:22 AM)zeebart21 Wrote:  

Remember though, when UNT had a stranglehold on the conference it was a really weak football conference. They got punished in their first couple of bowl games.
Now that we have a week and a half to get fresh legs under us, lets see how we finish.
We dominate the last three games like we did Tx St, WKU and stAte then we can talk.

Z
The Cajuns did dominate Tx St & ASU but WKU was a tale of 2 halves, the game was actually much closer than 17 points and WKU had more total yards so I don't consider that domination a confortable win none the less.
Now back to the subject. I just can't get past the lost to Arkansas by 20 who's only other wins are over Samford and Southern Miss. I say one of the Troy teams was better IMHO.
11-09-2013 09:25 AM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

Something controversial?
(11-09-2013 09:25 AM)Franko Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 08:22 AM)zeebart21 Wrote:  

Z
The Cajuns did dominate Tx St & ASU but WKU was a tale of 2 halves, the game was actually much closer than 17 points and WKU had more total yards so I don't consider that domination a confortable win none the less.
Now back to the subject. I just can't get past the lost to Arkansas by 20 who's only other wins are over Samford and Southern Miss. I say one of the Troy teams was better IMHO.

Though most would probably agree that the Louisiana team now and the present Arkansas team are at two different places than they were in late September. If the Cajuns would be playing the piggies now, similar to what they did with Florida last year, then I think you'd see a very different outcome.
11-09-2013 12:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.