Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Does A Wichita St. Final Four Mean?
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
What Does A Wichita St. Final Four Mean?
If Wichita St makes a final four dies that take some wind out if the sails of vcu's argument? Does it give the league and Fox incentive to go past 12 teams? Does Marshall become a target for butler or Marquette if they lose their coaches?
03-29-2013 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: What Does A Wichita St. Final Four Mean?
I think it could help VCU in some ways. Having 2 public schools would make sense. Go to 14- Wichita, VCU, SLU, and then Dayton. With the 7 schools added, you have added in there 4 final 4's in the last 4 years.
03-29-2013 11:51 AM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
I think our key is keeping Marshall. I don't think it will be a problem. He is making very good money. After bonuses for wins in the Tournament this year, he will make almost $2 million.

Cost of living in Wichita is FAR less than many parts of the country. My cousin sold his 2 br 1 ba 789 sq ft house in LA and moved back to Kansas. Bout a 5 br, 3 ba 3200 sq ft house, paid cash for a new car, and still had 500k left over.

VCU and Shaka have made the commitment for the long haul. As have Butler and Stevens. I think WSU and Marshall are in the same mindset, pending what happens with the Valley or us.

I would love to see a 14 team Big East. Especially with the teams mentioned. The Geography works. We aren't on the same level academically, and that will be our and VCU's major hurdle I believe. They have one chance to get it right. I see them going to 10. Then 12. based on how that plays out, then possibly 14. Can VCU and WSU sustain until then? Would another conference try to get them both?
03-29-2013 12:23 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 12:23 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  I think our key is keeping Marshall. I don't think it will be a problem. He is making very good money. After bonuses for wins in the Tournament this year, he will make almost $2 million.

Cost of living in Wichita is FAR less than many parts of the country. My cousin sold his 2 br 1 ba 789 sq ft house in LA and moved back to Kansas. Bout a 5 br, 3 ba 3200 sq ft house, paid cash for a new car, and still had 500k left over.

VCU and Shaka have made the commitment for the long haul. As have Butler and Stevens. I think WSU and Marshall are in the same mindset, pending what happens with the Valley or us.

I would love to see a 14 team Big East. Especially with the teams mentioned. The Geography works. We aren't on the same level academically, and that will be our and VCU's major hurdle I believe. They have one chance to get it right. I see them going to 10. Then 12. based on how that plays out, then possibly 14. Can VCU and WSU sustain until then? Would another conference try to get them both?

I think for this off season Marquette might be your biggest worry for stealing Marshall. If I'm a shocker I'm rooting for Buzz to stay one more year.
03-29-2013 12:31 PM
Special Teams

(03-29-2013 12:31 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 12:23 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  I think our key is keeping Marshall. I don't think it will be a problem. He is making very good money. After bonuses for wins in the Tournament this year, he will make almost $2 million.

I think for this off season Marquette might be your biggest worry for stealing Marshall. If I'm a shocker I'm rooting for Buzz to stay one more year.

What makes you feel so strongly about that?
03-29-2013 12:38 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 12:38 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  

What makes you feel so strongly about that?

Bigger conference and he can stay in his general Midwestern recruiting area and go to a school that would have put its last two coaches into top line coaching gigs.
03-29-2013 12:52 PM
Advertisement

Special Teams

NC State fit most of that. North Carolina. Closer to his family. SE is his prime recruiting ground. ACC. Said no.

Nothing against Marquette, it is an EXCELLENT job. But I don't see Coach Marshall leaving for there. He has said no to many programs everyone assumed he would take. Very similar to Few, Smart, and Stevens. I think they have seen and learned that jumping around leaves you without roots. He has 2 kids, one in High School. I think he stays.
03-29-2013 12:59 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette

What the hell? Stop putting this crap out there.
03-29-2013 01:01 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 01:01 PM)aughnanure Wrote:  

What the hell? Stop putting this crap out there.

I said If Buzz leaves.
03-29-2013 01:09 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(03-29-2013 11:51 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think it could help VCU in some ways. Having 2 public schools would make sense. Go to 14- Wichita, VCU, SLU, and then Dayton. With the 7 schools added, you have added in there 4 final 4's in the last 4 years.
Or just stay at 12. I'm sure they have direct flights between Omaha and Wichita. 03-lmfao

If Wichita and/or VCU join Memphis, Temple, UConn and Cincy, in any given year those 5-6 schools could pull down as many bids or more than the 6 of Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Xavier, Butler and Creighton. Outside of the Power 6 and the Big East, conferences #8/9/10 would be crippled in one fell swoop by adding both schools.

Grabbing both would help ensure that the line between mid-major and power conference is nice and bright, and stays that way for some time to come.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 01:28 PM by thegalen.)
03-29-2013 01:26 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 01:26 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 11:51 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think it could help VCU in some ways. Having 2 public schools would make sense. Go to 14- Wichita, VCU, SLU, and then Dayton. With the 7 schools added, you have added in there 4 final 4's in the last 4 years.
Or just stay at 12. I'm sure they have direct flights between Omaha and Wichita. 03-lmfao

If Wichita and/or VCU join Memphis, Temple, UConn and Cincy, in any given year those 5-6 schools could pull down as many bids or more than the 6 of Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Xavier, Butler and Creighton. Outside of the Power 6 and the Big East, conferences #8/9/10 would be crippled in one fell swoop by adding both schools.

Grabbing both would help ensure that the line between mid-major and power conference is nice and bright, and stays that way for some time to come.

I'm sorry but the Aresco league is no longer part of that power group.
03-29-2013 01:32 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
The Aresco league is goign to be interesting. I think they will be most years like what the A10 was this year quite frankly- a damn good league, better than some of the BCS leagues. If they got both Wichita and VCU- they would be a very formidable league with Memphis, Temple, Cincy, and UConn. That's 6 very strong programs.
03-29-2013 01:37 PM
Special Teams

(03-29-2013 01:26 PM)thegalen Wrote:  

Flights between don't matter. We fly charter to every location we play. I believe Creighton has the plans in place to start next year, as I know they traveled to quite a few places this year as well.

Only problem is clearing the cows, keeping the wheat low enough, and Auntie Em's house constantly landing on the runway.

Funny guy.
03-29-2013 01:44 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2013 01:32 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I'm sorry but the Aresco league is no longer part of that power group.
You're kidding yourself if you think there isn't parity between the 6 I listed for the Aresco league and the 6 I listed for the Big East. That's not a knock on the Big East by any means, but just the way it is.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 02:14 PM by thegalen.)
03-29-2013 02:13 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 02:13 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 01:32 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I'm sorry but the Aresco league is no longer part of that power group.
You're kidding yourself if you think there isn't parity between the 6 I listed for the Aresco league and the 6 I listed for the Big East. That's not a knock on the Big East by any means, but just the way it is.

You're adding two teams who aren't a part of the league.
03-29-2013 02:19 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2013 02:19 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  You're adding two teams who aren't a part of the league.
[Image: double_facepalm.png]
03-29-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-29-2013 02:33 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 02:19 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  You're adding two teams who aren't a part of the league.
[Image: double_facepalm.png]

I'm sorry did I miss the announcement that Wichita and VCU was added to the Aresco league
03-29-2013 02:41 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2013 02:41 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I'm sorry did I miss the announcement that Wichita and VCU was added to the Aresco league
No, but apparently you missed your own prompt to speculate about what a WSU Final Four might mean. 04-chairshot
03-29-2013 02:43 PM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(03-29-2013 01:37 PM)stever20 Wrote:  The Aresco league is goign to be interesting. I think they will be most years like what the A10 was this year quite frankly- a damn good league, better than some of the BCS leagues. If they got both Wichita and VCU- they would be a very formidable league with Memphis, Temple, Cincy, and UConn. That's 6 very strong programs.

Yeah with those six and SMU and Houston rising they could be strong. Likewise if the MountainWest added Gonzaga and Wichita State they would be much stronger. Their are possibilities for some non- big 5 conferences to make a move a really solidify their spot. But they all require some compromises. We shall see who moves.
03-29-2013 03:16 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
I think it means Wichita State and Gregg Marshall did one hell of a job and are to be commended for it.
03-29-2013 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.