Bookmark and Share
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Is the MAC overlooking talent
I've been saying this same thing for years:
http://www.limaohio.com/sports/article_1...0f31a.html

Of course Usher's writing has suggested a touch Alzheimer's in recent years, so that doesn't encourage me, but he points to some specifics worth paying attention to.

I agreed that I was shocked no MAC team came after Bruns.

My thought has been that MAC teams need to build better rapport with area high schools, and get more media coverage. Get students wanting to play for MAC teams, and some of these will show up as walk ons. SEC and Florida schools did this for years, and to some extent still do.
02-08-2013 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Is the MAC overlooking talent
I read the article and maybe the GLIAC was a big winner Wednesday?

This is kind of, I guess, off topic to subject directly at hand, but EMU gave out 21 NLIs Wednesday but apparently has room for five more.

Word is that EMU will be looking for kids who were possible preferred walk-on or gray shirt candidates at BCS schools OR kids who might qualify but are still questionable or maybe JUCOs who who were question marks to complete their degree this spring.

My guess is that whomever we sign here out might be better than some of our Feb 6 signees.

NOTE: EMU got three kids like Canty from Lansing who Tubberville at Cincy didn't honor a verbal and a kid Bell from L.A. who was a verbal who met NCAA but not Tulane academics and Barnes, a kicker who had preferred walk-on looks from teams who play in BCS bowls.

Our last commits were not reaches but very good prospects who 'fell to us'.

EMU is still REALLY looking for DL help, esp. some big JUCO DTs who can plug up the running lanes. (anyone who watched EMU might have noticed the need).
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 09:06 AM by emu steve.)
02-08-2013 09:04 AM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I guess I take a different view of the article. In my view it shows what low regard the author, Tom Usher, has for the MAC and reflects how many residents of Ohio, Michigan, etc. view the MAC.

These student-athletes of which he writes, who supposedly are good enough "for the MAC", did not garner interest from any other Division 1 schools, including 1AA. Yet they are apparently good enough for the MAC - or perhaps the MAC is low enough for them.
02-08-2013 02:47 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-08-2013 02:47 PM)IULurker Wrote:  I guess I take a different view of the article. In my view it shows what low regard the author, Tom Usher, has for the MAC and reflects how many residents of Ohio, Michigan, etc. view the MAC.

These student-athletes of which he writes, who supposedly are good enough "for the MAC", did not garner interest from any other Division 1 schools, including 1AA. Yet they are apparently good enough for the MAC - or perhaps the MAC is low enough for them.

You could look at it that way, and there's probably a bit of truth there. But he does point to specific outstanding HS athletes, some of whom were record setters at Div II.

And in that regard, I think he's right. Sure, a Big 10 school may mistakingly overlook them, not b/c they can't play, but b/c the Big 10 has as good or better athletes by comparison.

MAC teams need depth, and they need unfound gems. Usher thinks they'll find these in the little-MAC and similar conferences. If nothing else, his region is in the dead center of MAC territory, and should be scouted and mined rigorously.

It's surprising to me that EMU, or even UMass, doesn't give Bruns (for example) a go. And did those other guys even get discussed as preferred walk ons?
02-08-2013 03:02 PM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
(02-08-2013 02:47 PM)IULurker Wrote:  I guess I take a different view of the article. In my view it shows what low regard the author, Tom Usher, has for the MAC and reflects how many residents of Ohio, Michigan, etc. view the MAC.

I agree. He seems to forget about the whole FCS subdivision
02-08-2013 03:02 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-08-2013 03:02 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

You could look at it that way, and there's probably a bit of truth there. But he does point to specific outstanding HS athletes, some of whom were record setters at Div II.

And in that regard, I think he's right. Sure, a Big 10 school may mistakingly overlook them, not b/c they can't play, but b/c the Big 10 has as good or better athletes by comparison.

MAC teams need depth, and they need unfound gems. Usher thinks they'll find these in the little-MAC and similar conferences. If nothing else, his region is in the dead center of MAC territory, and should be scouted and mined rigorously.

It's surprising to me that EMU, or even UMass, doesn't give Bruns (for example) a go. And did those other guys even get discussed as preferred walk ons?

No way could EMU have taken Bruns.

We took Roback (our star recruit) and another good QB prospect, Bossard (from Pa.) and took other players who played QB in h.s. but will play WR, S, or athlete.
02-08-2013 03:58 PM
Advertisement

Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
Big MAC (Mid American Conference) meet the Little MAC (Midwest Athletic Conference).

Being from Coldwater, I am a little biased but.....I'd love to see the MAC recruit more MAC high school kids. There are a lot of good student athletes in the little MAC (Coldwater, St Henry, Marion Local, Delphos St John etc....). However, it is tiny town football and that means most D1 coaches do not pay close attention to them as athletes so I understand why they do not get a lot of offers. Coldwater is the biggest little MAC school and we have about 100 kids in each class (boys and girls combined).

I'd like BG to take a more active role in recruiting students from those smaller schools like the little MAC. Itsa great fit and easy transition. It would also help get more of their athletes as walk ons and later develop into very good players.

When I was in high school 30+ years ago, Coldwater routinely sent 10-12 students to BG, Toledo, Miami and Ball St each year. Now the area seems to be overwhelmed with Buckeye love.
02-08-2013 09:06 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Don't think so. As far as UMass is concerned, we recruit in a different area and will compete with schools in the Northeast. Heistated to post the signing day video, as have seen no other posters do the same for their schools. We recruit primarily from Scranton PA through the northeast. In this years class have 5 players from New Jersey and Florida. We got the speed back that was mentioned in the video, who had not commited but we fans were tweeting him and Lorenzo Woodley said it was an influence.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 09:33 PM by Steve1981.)
02-08-2013 09:17 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The fact is that bunches of capable H.S. kids get missed every year by D1 programs........ and yes, normally because they don't quite meet all the "measurables". I think it's because it's really hard to measure willpower and things like football savvy.

It's why D1 programs at all levels almost always have multiple walk-ons that earn scholarships and many supposed studs washout. The whole recruiting process is something of a crapshoot, but bottom line - most coaches just aren't willing to take chances with kids that don't meet all the criteria or sometimes just come from a smaller school.
02-08-2013 11:06 PM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

I agree. He mentions a player that was cut in the Miami Dolphins rookie camp. There are plenty of players out there that play division III that could play DII and FCS that could play FBS and Sun Belt that could play SEC, etc. The fact of the matter is that FBS teams can only hand out a total of 85 scholarships at any time.

An FBS coach gets paid to put a team together that is going to provide results. If they don't provide the expected results, a coach loses his job...his livelihood. This guy gets paid to write articles. A coach is an expert in his specified field, a writer is an amateur in that field. I'll take our coaches' decisions over his.

Toledo had over 1500 juniors and sophomores on campus over the last 12 months evaluating them and could only take less than 25 of them. Two of those players played for Team USA a few nights ago against the World Team in the International Bowl and one of those players scored a touchdown and the other never came off the field the whole game on defense. I know for a fact that none of this guy's players were invited to that game. I would hope our coaches would be fired if they turned down proven players like the ones that we all signed for some risks on undersized or underperforming players because of the chance that they may have been overlooked.

This guy needs some perspective.
02-09-2013 01:16 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I suspect many were scared off after UT won the recruiting battle for the last Bruns from that area back in 1971. Turned out he was evrry bit as mediocre in college as his HS stats indicated he would be. Of course there are a ton of Bruns folk in Coldwater and none are related to me.
02-09-2013 09:00 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(02-08-2013 03:58 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 03:02 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

No way could EMU have taken Bruns.

We took Roback (our star recruit) and another good QB prospect, Bossard (from Pa.) and took other players who played QB in h.s. but will play WR, S, or athlete.

I once read an interview w/ Steve Young who said when he got to BYU he was 8th on the depth chart.

Maybe EMU wasn't the place for this kid, but you can never ignore depth.

I'm only going by stats, so maybe he's not Div IA material, if Siborg or anyone else knows more, I'd listen. I still think the MAC can find a little more talent near home. And it can make a difference.
02-09-2013 02:18 PM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Torch, I'm not trying to be funny but can you find one player on BG's 2013 commit list that you'd rather not see there and instead would rather place one of these kids in that position?

BTW, there is a junior in Lima that Toledo, Akron, and Bowling Green have already offered. We'll see if he chooses to play in the MAC. His name is Darius West.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 03:25 PM by Campbell4President.)
02-09-2013 03:13 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-09-2013 09:00 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I suspect many were scared off after UT won the recruiting battle for the last Bruns from that area back in 1971. Turned out he was evrry bit as mediocre in college as his HS stats indicated he would be. Of course there are a ton of Bruns folk in Coldwater and none are related to me.

I think there was a Bruns from St. Henry that was an excellent wr for UT in the 90's. Scott, maybe?
02-09-2013 10:59 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2013 03:13 PM)Campbell4President Wrote:  Torch, I'm not trying to be funny but can you find one player on BG's 2013 commit list that you'd rather not see there and instead would rather place one of these kids in that position?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If BG's class is sound, doesn't mean that every MAC team's is.

But, I'd be delighted to see any of these players go to BG as "preferred walkons" or "grayshirts."
02-10-2013 10:25 AM
DrTorch Offline

(02-08-2013 03:02 PM)The Optimist Wrote:  

To the best of my recollection, the MAC has had only one recent year when some team didn't lose to IAA/FCS. So, I see no reason why it's an insult not to believe these players could contribute to the MAC.
02-10-2013 10:27 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-09-2013 10:59 PM)DICK Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 09:00 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I suspect many were scared off after UT won the recruiting battle for the last Bruns from that area back in 1971. Turned out he was evrry bit as mediocre in college as his HS stats indicated he would be. Of course there are a ton of Bruns folk in Coldwater and none are related to me.

I think there was a Bruns from St. Henry that was an excellent wr for UT in the 90's. Scott, maybe?

Don't recall him but could be. St. Henry has a pretty big German influence but none related to me.
02-10-2013 10:42 AM
Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
(02-10-2013 10:42 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 10:59 PM)DICK Wrote:  

Don't recall him but could be. St. Henry has a pretty big German influence but none related to me.

I think many smaller HS have kids who might need more development. They tend to play multiple sports and do not focus on one until college. In some ways that is an advantage, no burn outs & indicates they can have more upside.

There are a ton of Bruns in St Henry and Coldwater. I'm not sure which family Austin Bruns is from. He is similar in size to Keith Wenning (6-4, 220). I know he led Coldwater to 3 straight state finals winning the last one in a defensive struggle against Kirtland (Division 5). However, I think Coldwater only won the MAC once in that stretch. The MAC has averaged just under 2 FB state champions per year in the last decade or so. D4 through D6. Coldwater beat Youngstown Mooney twice in D4 finals before Mooney moved up to D3 and Coldwater moved down to D5 while many teams in the MAC moved down to D6.

To further my sale pitch for all things Coldwater... http://cavfootball.com
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 03:26 PM by Siborg.)
02-10-2013 02:26 PM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
(02-10-2013 10:27 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

To the best of my recollection, the MAC has had only one recent year when some team didn't lose to IAA/FCS. So, I see no reason why it's an insult not to believe these players could contribute to the MAC.
One loss is an anomaly. Over time, the MAC is better than the FCS on the whole. Yes, a top FCS team can likely compete with the MAC any given year, but for the most part MAC players are better than FCS players. Just like the talent level in the MAC is not on the Big 10's level every year.
02-10-2013 02:34 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-10-2013 02:34 PM)The Optimist Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 10:27 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Yes, a top FCS team can likely compete with the MAC any given year,

Which is my point. And it validates why Usher can write what he did w/ legitimacy. He thinks they're good players...not that the MAC sucks.
02-10-2013 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.