Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rising Stars InThe Big East
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Rising Stars InThe Big East
I think Louisville, Cuse, USF and TCU will be in the upper tier and league contenders over the next few years.

Coaching continuity is important. After next year believe it or not Doug Marrone will be the 2nd most senior coach of the original 8. He has been a miracle worker cobbling together 8 wins with 4 wins talent and depth.

WVU might be shaky depending on how smooth the transition goes. But I think they could get well quickly if the Air Raid offense takes off. They would be my pick of the runner ups making it back to the top over the next 2-3 seasons.

Rutgers has lost their Mojo...recent coaching hires might help but Schiano is still the head coach and I see more 4-6 win seasons. For all the supposed great recruits they get they have really done nothing since 2006.

UConn will be headed for the basement quickly...think Cincy 2010

Cincy is the wildcard...Jones is recruiting well let's see if he can right the ship. They are the hardest one to predict to me.

Pitt is in a freefall...I see several years of 3-6 wins. Their AD is a disaster.
01-03-2011 10:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
RE: Rising Stars InThe Big East
Unfortunately Texan, you're probably right about Rutgers. I really hope that Hafley and Cignetti are what the doctor ordered to right the coaching and recruiting ship here. And we've recruited some great skill players no doubt about that but we haven't recruited well at all for OL, DL and to somewhat lesser extents TEs and LBs.
01-03-2011 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
Syracuse loses alot of senior talent this season. I think the team will be better next seaon but the reord wont reflect it because of the BE itself being better. I think in 2012 is the year that SU starts to be inconsideration for BE championships along with TCU, Louisville, WV, USF and maybe Cincy.
01-03-2011 11:03 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(01-03-2011 10:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  I think Louisville, Cuse, USF and TCU will be in the upper tier and league contenders over the next few years.

Coaching continuity is important. After next year believe it or not Doug Marrone will be the 2nd most senior coach of the original 8. He has been a miracle worker cobbling together 8 wins with 4 wins talent and depth.

WVU might be shaky depending on how smooth the transition goes. But I think they could get well quickly if the Air Raid offense takes off. They would be my pick of the runner ups making it back to the top over the next 2-3 seasons.

Rutgers has lost their Mojo...recent coaching hires might help but Schiano is still the head coach and I see more 4-6 win seasons. For all the supposed great recruits they get they have really done nothing since 2006.

UConn will be headed for the basement quickly...think Cincy 2010

Cincy is the wildcard...Jones is recruiting well let's see if he can right the ship. They are the hardest one to predict to me.

Pitt is in a freefall...I see several years of 3-6 wins. Their AD is a disaster.

Pretty good summary. Keep one thing in mind though: didn't both 'Cuse and UL both have a lot of seniors this year (and in UL's case, its entire OL, I think)? Teams lose that many seniors, they tend not to figure into the conference title.

"Early Bird" predictions for 2011:

1. WVU - best team in the league this year despite UConn's BCS represetation
2. USF - Skip turning it around instantly
3. Syracuse - Definitely lower than this if Carter leaves
4. UC - Depth (especially defense) was a big problem, but that excuse won't fly next year; Talent has been upgraded, so give Jones that much
5. UL - Still young; 2012 will be a big leap for them
6. Pitt - Disarray
7. Rutgers - Could surprise if Cignetti works out
8. UConn - Lost their QB, RB and head coach (the first may not be a bad thing); a lot to overcome
01-03-2011 11:04 AM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
I know there's this myth that RU has been supposedly recruiting great since 06 but really the first top 25 class we had was the 09 class who were just only sophomores this past year. If this 2011 class finishes like I think it will(Mainly Huggins commits) then I am really not that worried about our future as a program in the up coming years. Not to mention Cignetti coming on board means the first OC we've had with prior D1 experience. RU has committed way too much money into to the program to accept going back to sucking.
01-03-2011 11:30 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Carter is graduating...but Cuse recruited his hier apparant out of Colorado. A Rivals 2nd Team All American
01-03-2011 11:36 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

(01-03-2011 11:30 AM)UltimateCFBfan Wrote:  RU has committed way too much money into to the program to accept going back to sucking.

I think you are firmly there in 2010--->sucking 04-cheers

But I get your point...we'll see how Cignetti works out. Your recruiting is on the verge of finishing strong this year. I still think Schaino is a mediocre gameday coach.
01-03-2011 11:38 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Mark, WVU's coaching transition will go off without a hitch. Stew's job this year is to familiarize Holgorsen with the parts of the job that are unique to West Virginia. Once he's done that, he's no longer required on the sideline, and will move upstairs. But Holgorsen is the man in charge on the field from day one...
01-03-2011 12:05 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(01-03-2011 10:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  I think Louisville, Cuse, USF and TCU will be in the upper tier and league contenders over the next few years.

That's 75% teams that were in CUSA together, also.
01-03-2011 12:21 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(01-03-2011 12:05 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Mark, WVU's coaching transition will go off without a hitch. Stew's job this year is to familiarize Holgorsen with the parts of the job that are unique to West Virginia. Once he's done that, he's no longer required on the sideline, and will move upstairs. But Holgorsen is the man in charge on the field from day one...

03-phew Bit the infighting will be there unless Stewart is gone. 04-cheers
01-03-2011 12:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I don't think so, Wilkie. Stew isn't the type of man who causes infighting, and from what I hear of Holgorsen, he's easy to get along with. I think you're just doing some wishful thinking, dude. If Holgorsen's offensive record holds, and Casteel has a typical WVU D, you guys will all be fighting for 2nd place. The Mountaineers will have first, and the BCS bid, sewn up...
01-03-2011 12:33 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Never count your victories until they are won. West Virginia has a lot to fix this time. 04-cheers
01-03-2011 12:44 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'll start my count in the fall, Wilkie. Like always... 05-mafia
01-03-2011 12:58 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(01-03-2011 12:58 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'll start my count in the fall, Wilkie. Like always... 05-mafia

All I can say is you better win! 05-stirthepot
01-03-2011 01:13 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(01-03-2011 11:04 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Pretty good summary. Keep one thing in mind though: didn't both 'Cuse and UL both have a lot of seniors this year (and in UL's case, its entire OL, I think)? Teams lose that many seniors, they tend not to figure into the conference title.

Louisville is a wild card for sure next year. On the one hand, they lose a lot of seniors including the top two QB's, the leading rusher, the leading receiver, the top tight end, four starting senior offensive linemen and a couple more off the two deep, and their best corner, best linebacker, and best D lineman. Needless to say it looks like a rebuilding year.

However, while that should spell doom, the improvement of the players from last year to this year was mindboggling it is nearly beyond comprehension. And quite a few players came from out of nowhere to be serious contributors, inluding some from deep off the bench (Bilal Powell anyone).

However, the defense was pretty good this year, and actually much better than their stats indicated, as they generally played good in the second third, and fourth quarters (they just gave up big plays in the first quarter every game). It will be much improved next year based on returning players, maturing players, further mastery of the defensive philosophies, and new influx of talent. The offense will be a mystery since it is likely to be run by a true freshman, but there will be some serious upgrading at receiver, the biggest achillies heel last year. Combine actual player development, with the best recruiting they have had in years, and there is no telling what will happen.

That said, if I were handicapping the race, I would pick Louisville to come in fifth or sixth, simply because they finished sixth this year, and lose 25 seniors. However, I would not be surprised to see them win the conference.
01-03-2011 01:44 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(01-03-2011 01:13 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 12:58 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'll start my count in the fall, Wilkie. Like always... 05-mafia
All I can say is you better win! 05-stirthepot
Just remember, the Cards are coming to Morgantown next year... 05-mafia
01-03-2011 01:52 PM
Advertisement

dbacard Offline
Special Teams

(01-03-2011 01:44 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 11:04 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Pretty good summary. Keep one thing in mind though: didn't both 'Cuse and UL both have a lot of seniors this year (and in UL's case, its entire OL, I think)? Teams lose that many seniors, they tend not to figure into the conference title.

Louisville is a wild card for sure next year. On the one hand, they lose a lot of seniors including the top two QB's, the leading rusher, the leading receiver, the top tight end, four starting senior offensive linemen and a couple more off the two deep, and their best corner, best linebacker, and best D lineman. Needless to say it looks like a rebuilding year.

However, while that should spell doom, the improvement of the players from last year to this year was mindboggling it is nearly beyond comprehension. And quite a few players came from out of nowhere to be serious contributors, inluding some from deep off the bench (Bilal Powell anyone).

However, the defense was pretty good this year, and actually much better than their stats indicated, as they generally played good in the second third, and fourth quarters (they just gave up big plays in the first quarter every game). It will be much improved next year based on returning players, maturing players, further mastery of the defensive philosophies, and new influx of talent. The offense will be a mystery since it is likely to be run by a true freshman, but there will be some serious upgrading at receiver, the biggest achillies heel last year. Combine actual player development, with the best recruiting they have had in years, and there is no telling what will happen.

That said, if I were handicapping the race, I would pick Louisville to come in fifth or sixth, simply because they finished sixth this year, and lose 25 seniors. However, I would not be surprised to see them win the conference.

Louisville loses a lot but gains a lot. This is our highest rated recruiting class in history provided they make it to campus. The incoming QBs are more talented than the ones leaving and can scramble (which they will need badly with most of the offensive line being new). Powell is the biggest loss IMO but I think Wright can hold his own. Even with the SR losses I think UL will be better than this year. Hard to predict how they will do since the rest of the BE is up in the air but I look forward to it.
01-03-2011 01:53 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think Jones is a very good coach but as you guys say, prove it with the big boys. If Jones puts it together the Big East is going to be ridiculously tough especially if we add Houston, who i think will return to national prominence with Sumlin still at the helm, and Central Florida. The thing I like about Coach Jones is that he runs the spread offense just like Kelly but he utilizes the run game very, very well. He also likes to use that old swarming, attacking defense that UC used to use. Having this many quality teams helps the conference big time and improves recruiting.
01-03-2011 09:54 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
I think next season the BE race is USF, UL, WVU, and SU.

Pitt is a complete mess right now, I really do hate to see them like this, I hope they find a good coach because the BE needs them to be players.

Rutgers has shown no signs of improvement since 2007. I think eventually theyll have to make a coaching change.

Cincy is a wildcard. Their coach has a lot to prove but I wouldnt be suprised if they made a jump next year.

UConn unfortunately just lost a great coach. Their teams were never that talented, just well coached. Im afraid theyll take a big step back.
01-03-2011 11:25 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Hope Jones gets it together....the league just got a whole lot tougher....we'll see.

I do know we have made a serious upgrade in talent and so that will help.....problem is most of the really good players coming in are on offense and though are defense was really really young...not sure how deep we will be next year.

We'll see.....some have said the Cats are a wildcard....that's a great way of putting it. Indeed we are....
01-04-2011 06:33 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.