Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Numerous Ohio St players out for the Sugar Bowl?
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Numerous Ohio St players out for the Sugar Bowl?
Herby and Musburger were discussing OSU rumors during the end of the Vegas Bowl. Kirk said the talk in Columbus is a tattoo parlor raided by the IRS was loaded up with signed Buckeye gear. They'd told authorities they give free tats in exchange for signed merchandise. The players being named include some starters, with Dan Haren apparentely on the list of 7 or 8 players.

I'll withold judgment, as it sounded like Iowa was losing a ton of guys for their bowl and the rumors were overblown. If this is true though the Hogs might be cruising down in New Orleans.

Free Buckeye Tattoos?
12-22-2010 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
RE: Numerous Ohio St players out for the Sugar Bowl?
signed gear for tats, sounds like old fashioned bartering to me

what has this world come to (insert sarcasm)
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 11:50 PM by tcufrog86.)
12-22-2010 11:50 PM
TtownKnight Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
100 dollar handshakes at tOSU still happens trust me.
12-22-2010 11:58 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(12-22-2010 11:58 PM)TtownKnight Wrote:  100 dollar handshakes at tOSU still happens trust me.
How in the hell do you have 26 post and a rep of -21?
12-23-2010 12:21 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(12-23-2010 12:21 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(12-22-2010 11:58 PM)TtownKnight Wrote:  100 dollar handshakes at tOSU still happens trust me.
How in the hell do you have 26 post and a rep of -21?

By making ridculous comments in every post. I just read his comment on the CUSA board that apparently UCF's basketball team is headed to the Final 4 this season. The world according to Ttown!
12-23-2010 12:37 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Hoping this isn't bad.

If only the players had their dads arrange the exchange and then maybe they wouldn't have to miss any games. 05-mafia
12-23-2010 01:08 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
That article said OSU is investigating................don't think OSU would punish their
own, especially starters.
12-23-2010 07:50 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
The NCAA is so pi$$ed at Ohio State that they put Ohio on probation. That will teach the Buckeyes not to break the rules.
CJ
12-23-2010 08:28 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-23-2010 08:28 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The NCAA is so pi$$ed at Ohio State that they put Ohio on probation. That will teach the Buckeyes not to break the rules.
03-lmfao
12-23-2010 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(12-23-2010 08:28 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The NCAA is so pi$$ed at Ohio State that they put Ohio on probation. That will teach the Buckeyes not to break the rules.
CJ

As long as it isn't us 03-lmfao
12-23-2010 12:08 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Five Ohio State players sanctioned

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

A sixth football player must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009. In addition to missing five games next season, Pryor, Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity.

Jordan Whiting must sit out the first game next year and pay $150 to a charity for the value of services that were discounted because of his status as a student-athlete.

The NCAA announced the suspensions on Thursday, shortly before Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and coach Jim Tressel were to meet with reporters to discuss the university's investigation of players trading autographs for tattoos.

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

"These are significant penalties based on findings and information provided by the university," Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, said in a statement released by the NCAA.

The players are eligibile for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.

"We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.
12-23-2010 12:22 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Unreal. They can still play in the Sugar Bowl, though. Way to be firm yet fair. 03-wink
12-23-2010 12:36 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

That's okay. The Buckeyes will lose their bowl game anyway. Arkansas' 2 losses came to Alabama and @Auburn. The Buckeyes haven't faced comparable competition, and the Hoggs going to crack the worthless nut when they step on it...

Then after losing their bowl game, they get to figure out how they prevent themselves from starting out in a deep hole after the first 5 games of the season. And even when the starters become eligible again, they'll still have to shake off the rust. Next season could be a total wash for Ohio State, which would be hilarious...
12-23-2010 01:12 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Seems stupid to me. They're selling their possessions. Since it belongs to them, they should have the right to sell it. Free trade and all that.
12-23-2010 01:20 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
This has to be only the tip of the iceberg. No way does Ohio St. suspend those players without any due process. Something is fishy with this Ohio St. story.
12-23-2010 01:34 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(12-23-2010 12:22 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  The players are eligibile for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.

"We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward."

03-melodramatic01-wingedeagle03-lmfao

Give me a break. How long has the Ohio State University been doing this now? And should they not also be punished for not knowing what they are doing?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 01:55 PM by bearcatfan.)
12-23-2010 01:54 PM
Advertisement

jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
I expect the players (atleast Pryor and Posey), to declare for the draft now that this has come down. That way, they finish their careers in a bowl game and escape the NCAA without any punishment.
12-23-2010 02:07 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I expect most to declare now too.

I really am not happy with the NCAA . I would have been better with this if they had directly taken money, but they sold things the conference and school gave them (jerseys and conference championship rings). It was their property to do with as they pleased. The schools can literally make millions off them and they can't even sell their own property. Add in the NCAA being insane with Indian mascots and well I wouldn't be opposed to forming a new governing body.
12-23-2010 03:38 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(12-23-2010 01:20 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  Seems stupid to me. They're selling their possessions. Since it belongs to them, they should have the right to sell it. Free trade and all that.

Can't say I disagree with your premise. However, rules are rules, and if said rules exist - no matter how freaking ridiculous - consequences are deserved.

The same reasoning applies to the Baseball HOF, where Ty Cobb is a member, and Pete Rose is not.
12-23-2010 04:49 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Pete Rose should be in the HoF, and so should Shoeless Joe Jackson...
12-23-2010 04:54 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.