Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
OT - Interesting read on the Houston board about their internal problems
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
OT - Interesting read on the Houston board about their internal problems
Big 12 fans sound a lot like us, and even some of their fans mention that. The only difference is that their tension is caused by splitting money, the Big East's is caused by the tension between the basketball and football schools. Either way, there has been rumors of a Big 12 issue that could lead to an eventual split for the last 5 or 6 years:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=280...&t=2568348

Very interesting post by a poster named gladbooks on the 2nd page of the thread. And you thought we had issues!

Correction: It was actually the Houston board, but there were a large number of Big 12 fans on it.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 09:30 AM by CatsClaw.)
06-15-2008 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: OT - Interesting read on the Big 12 board about their internal problems
Nice read 04-cheers
06-15-2008 09:14 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It's all about money regardless of the surface issues.
06-15-2008 09:16 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

L-yes Wrote:It's all about money regardless of the surface issues.

You know what L-yes, you're 100% right. It's all about the all-mighty dollar when it's all said and done.
06-15-2008 09:26 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: OT - Interesting read on the Houston board about their internal problems
This is old news. I heard these battle cry's for a while now. The chances of a Big 12 split is even least likely than a Big East split.

And to all the Big East fans that want the split and go to 12 teams look at articles like this. It isn't worth it. The only conference with out the bickering like this is the SEC.
06-15-2008 09:34 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The Big12 has some unhappy teams because of their revenue sharing but the facts are that those have-nots know they have nowhere to go and get a better deal. So UT and the others will continue to squezze them.
As for all the other stuff, realize that MOST of the posts where from Houston fans hoping to get into the Big12. I thought I was reading aHouston board.
Is funny though because the UH fans on the CUSA biard constantly chastise the ECU,UCF and Memphis fans for their "whoring" to the Big East and it looks like many of ther fans are doing same with Big12 just not on the CUSA board
06-15-2008 09:42 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
The one guy who goes by the name "gotohelltcu" on page 4 was making alot of sense with his stats on the disparities between the Big 12 schools concerning tv and money distribution, and the Big 12 tv contract. Then I read this gem:

The new Big 12 TV deal will be worth $480 million. If UT keeps getting 10 percent of that, they'll be raking in $48 million each year. If K-State keeps getting seven percent, they'll be getting $33 million each year. The rich keep getting richer, building bigger and better facilities, and forcing the smaller schools to break their banks to keep up. Now, if we all share that $480 million equally, everybody gets $40 million each year.

The Big 12's new tv deal of $480 million is a multi year deal. I think that $480 million dollars is divided over 4 or 5 years. But I am certain that the Big 12 is not getting $480 million per year. That would be the richest tv deal in college fb history.
I lost all interest in everything else the guy had to say after reading that portion.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 09:56 AM by cuseroc.)
06-15-2008 09:54 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
cuseroc Wrote:The one guy who goes by the name "gotohelltcu" on page 4 was making alot of sense with his stats on the disparities between the Big 12 schools concerning tv and money distribution, and the Big 12 tv contract. Then I read this gem:

The new Big 12 TV deal will be worth $480 million. If UT keeps getting 10 percent of that, they'll be raking in $48 million each year. If K-State keeps getting seven percent, they'll be getting $33 million each year. The rich keep getting richer, building bigger and better facilities, and forcing the smaller schools to break their banks to keep up. Now, if we all share that $480 million equally, everybody gets $40 million each year.

The Big 12's new tv deal of $480 million is a multi year deal. I think that $480 million dollars is divided over 4 or 5 years. But I am certain that the Big 12 is not getting $480 million per year. That would be the richest tv deal in college fb history.
I lost all interest in everything else the guy had to say after reading that portion.

That $480 million is actually over 8 years, or $60 million a year. It starts next year and runs through 2015-16.

Cheers,
Neil
06-15-2008 10:05 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
I didn't read that thread but here's part of an article about how the Big12 distributes revenue - and it's not $480 million annually 03-wink

Half of the Big 12's TV money — which in 2005-06 was $50 million — is divided equally. The other half goes into an "appearance pool." Schools earn units of credit for every football TV appearance and for basketball nonconference TV games. Credits also are given for NCAA tournament appearances.

Big 12 Internal Revenue Service filings showed that in 2005-06, Texas received the most money from the conference ($9.68 million). Nebraska was fourth ($7.81 million). Kansas State received the least ($6.47 million).

Rest here (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=39...d=10341705)
06-15-2008 10:19 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

My mistake about thinking that was a Big 12 board, I'm sorry about that. Here is some more interesting talk from fans of the Big 12:

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/inde...=79443&hl=

Quote:by WESTISBEST
05/22/08
If the Big 12 loses a member they will pursue Arkansas. Talks have already taken place.

If by chance the SEC keeps Arkansas, and Houston has it's house in order, then Houston will get the nod.

The Big 12 has some very small interest in Memphis, CSU, New Mexico and the like. But they do not want to add another private school after the humiliation and embarrassment that Baylor gives the conference (i.e. - Losses in football to UAB twice including a horrendous losing score of 56-14, a loss to Army in 2006, and a loss to North Texas by a league embarrassing 52-14 after which some Big12 teams began openly questioning Baylor's worthiness to be in the league).

Arkansas will accept a bid to the Big 12 and the SEC will look at Houston to fill the slot if Houston has turned it's program around. The second largest SEC alumni base is in Houston, all SEC have a major recruiting focus o nthe greater Houston area. The SEC wants this market, it is up to Houston to step up to receive the offer. The Big 12 and SEC have told Houston what it needs to do to be included in the next round of realingment.

Texas has NO interest in the SEC due to academics and travel costs are NO issue for Texas in the Big 12. Texas and A&M will not go seperate ways.

And much more interesting expansion talk that actually doesn't involve us! LOL
06-15-2008 10:40 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

animus Wrote:This is old news. I heard these battle cry's for a while now. The chances of a Big 12 split is even least likely than a Big East split.

And to all the Big East fans that want the split and go to 12 teams look at articles like this. It isn't worth it. The only conference with out the bickering like this is the SEC.

I never said I wanted the Big East to go to 12, I am just interested in a Big East split and going to 9 MAYBE 10 teams. Preferrably 9 so we can have equal home and away games. The fact that we can't even add a 9th football school to balance the conference because people are afraid of upsetting the conference is amazing.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 10:50 AM by CatsClaw.)
06-15-2008 10:41 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:
animus Wrote:This is old news. I heard these battle cry's for a while now. The chances of a Big 12 split is even least likely than a Big East split.

I never said I wanted the Big East to go to 12, I am just interested in a Big East split and going to 9 MAYBE 10 teams. Preferrably 9 so we can have equal home and away games. The fact that we can't even add a 9th football school to balance the conference because people are afraid of upsetting the conference is amazing.

Wasn't saying that you did. I'm using the Big 12 as an example of why its a bad idea.
06-15-2008 11:23 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

animus Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:

Wasn't saying that you did. I'm using the Big 12 as an example of why its a bad idea.

Oh, ok, my mistake. :) I have to say though, the counter to that is the WAC. The WAC is the only other conference with a similar make-up as the Big East and that conference self-destructed.
06-15-2008 11:33 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CatsClaw Wrote:My mistake about thinking that was a Big 12 board, I'm sorry about that. Here is some more interesting talk from fans of the Big 12:

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/inde...=79443&hl=

Quote:by WESTISBEST
05/22/08
If the Big 12 loses a member they will pursue Arkansas. Talks have already taken place.

If by chance the SEC keeps Arkansas, and Houston has it's house in order, then Houston will get the nod.

The Big 12 has some very small interest in Memphis, CSU, New Mexico and the like. But they do not want to add another private school after the humiliation and embarrassment that Baylor gives the conference (i.e. - Losses in football to UAB twice including a horrendous losing score of 56-14, a loss to Army in 2006, and a loss to North Texas by a league embarrassing 52-14 after which some Big12 teams began openly questioning Baylor's worthiness to be in the league).

Arkansas will accept a bid to the Big 12 and the SEC will look at Houston to fill the slot if Houston has turned it's program around. The second largest SEC alumni base is in Houston, all SEC have a major recruiting focus o nthe greater Houston area. The SEC wants this market, it is up to Houston to step up to receive the offer. The Big 12 and SEC have told Houston what it needs to do to be included in the next round of realingment.

Texas has NO interest in the SEC due to academics and travel costs are NO issue for Texas in the Big 12. Texas and A&M will not go seperate ways.

And much more interesting expansion talk that actually doesn't involve us! LOL

It's hard to take this kind of talk seriously when it is from a fan of a school like Houston in regards to B12 realignment. Of course Houston fan will bend everything in their favor.

I would be extremely shocked if Arkansas would give up its position in the most respected football conference in the nation to go back to the cluster F that the B12 has become.
06-15-2008 12:35 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
You have to take conference realignment talk from Houston fans in perspective--they're the Southwestern version of Temple--the city school with attendance issues. They currently play at a facility (Robertson Stadium) that looks more like UMass' place and doesn't have the numbers to be playing at Reliant Stadium or even the old Astrodome right now (average att: 20,955, or about 900 more a game than Duke is drawing).

Not trying to sandbag the Cougar fans, but they're not on the agenda of the Big 12 right now.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 01:47 PM by DFW HOYA.)
06-15-2008 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
L-yes Wrote:I would be extremely shocked if Arkansas would give up its position in the most respected football conference in the nation to go back to the cluster F that the B12 has become.
Me too. I've never bought into an Arkie return to the B-12; never will.
06-15-2008 04:17 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
DFW HOYA Wrote:You have to take conference realignment talk from Houston fans in perspective--they're the Southwestern version of Temple--the city school with attendance issues. They currently play at a facility (Robertson Stadium) that looks more like UMass' place and doesn't have the numbers to be playing at Reliant Stadium or even the old Astrodome right now (average att: 20,955, or about 900 more a game than Duke is drawing).

Not trying to sandbag the Cougar fans, but they're not on the agenda of the Big 12 right now.

It's a catch 22 of sorts, because in order to get good crowds, UH would need to start playing bigger teams like UT, aTm, Arkansas, etc...but they can't get the respect to do that till those teams play Houston while they are in a minor league.

But attendence may rise as there's a movement to end UH as a commutter school and bring more students on campus.
06-15-2008 05:44 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Why the Hell would Houston do any better in the Big XII than Baylor has? Houston hasn't been relevant in more than 20 years.

If the Big XII wants to get stronger, it should kick out Baylor and Iowa State and add BYU and Utah. I can't see Arkansas agreeing to leave the SEC.
06-15-2008 07:49 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
If Houston wants to be taken as a serious BCS aspirant, playing in Robertson Stadium is probably not the answer, but the ability to rent (and fill) Reliant Stadium probably isn't there either.

Most of the teams of the C-USA western division can't draw right now:

UTEP: 36,539
Tulane: 26,112
Tulsa: 24,539
Houston: 20,955
SMU: 17,171
Rice: 13,353
06-15-2008 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TheLurker Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Zags
zibby Wrote:Why the Hell would Houston do any better in the Big XII than Baylor has? Houston hasn't been relevant in more than 20 years.

If the Big XII wants to get stronger, it should kick out Baylor and Iowa State and add BYU and Utah. I can't see Arkansas agreeing to leave the SEC.

The Big Twelve has some schools that simply aren't carrying thier weight in the conference. How much do Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Texas Tech add to conference coffers? While all of these schools have had some great years in both major sports, they simply don't provide the level of competition, TV market or fanbase that Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma or Missouri bring to the conference.

The issue is: I'm not sure a refurbished Big Twelve, say minus Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor, would be able to attract schools that would improve the conference's situation signifigant enough to warrant change. If the Texas schools want a change badly, maybe the answer lies in another conference. The SEC and PAC Ten must look awful appealing to them; Florida (SEC) and California (PAC Ten) would be a major boon to Texas recruiting. Texas and A&M weild a fair amount of power due to their control of Houston and DFW. The two schools could always try to convince the SEC to kindly show some underachieving members to the door as to provide room for the Texas giants.

I think the SEC would jump all over the idea of expanding into Texas, even if it meant expansion to fourteen or fifthteen. Remeber, Auburn and Alabama fit almost as well geographically in the SEC East as they do in the SEC west. I know that Vol fans would be thrilled to see Alabama on the schedule every year; the game might just be our biggest rivalry other than the Gators.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 11:17 PM by TheLurker.)
06-15-2008 11:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.