CSNbbs
College football overtime - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: College football overtime (/thread-818573.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

College football overtime - pcm0103 - 05-25-2017 06:12 AM

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning and he said that the way that overtime in college football is setup was the worst idea ever. And it takes away from the game. How does everybody else feel about it? I like the way is setup. At least you have a winner at the end of the game. I never understood a tie in football, especially in the nfl.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RE: College football overtime - MWC Tex - 05-25-2017 06:52 AM

I like the overtime setup college football has. No changes needed. One of the great things that is unique to the college game.

RE: College football overtime - 8BitPirate - 05-25-2017 07:11 AM

I do not listen to grown men talk about boys playing a sport.

RE: College football overtime - CoastalJuan - 05-25-2017 07:41 AM

(05-25-2017 07:11 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  I do not listen to grown men talk about boys playing a sport.

And yet here we are...

RE: College football overtime - Carolina_Low_Country - 05-25-2017 07:42 AM

College football overtime is way better then NFL overtime. It is the most fair form. Comes down to offense scoring or defense making a stop.

RE: College football overtime - Kruciff - 05-25-2017 08:13 AM

CFB Overtime is one of the great defining features of the game. Much better than the corporate structure the NFL has.

Did he mention why it was the worst idea ever or is he just generating clickbait?

RE: College football overtime - pcm0103 - 05-25-2017 08:18 AM

(05-25-2017 08:13 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  CFB Overtime is one of the great defining features of the game. Much better than the corporate structure the NFL has.

Did he mention why it was the worst idea ever or is he just generating clickbait?
This is his opinion from last year which is pretty much what he said this morning.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17484652&sf35292456=1

RE: College football overtime - megadrone - 05-25-2017 08:19 AM

I always liked sudden death. My feeling -- you had 60 minutes to win the game and you didn't. Play in overtime until someone puts points on the board.

Statistically, getting the ball first did not have much impact on who wins in overtime, so the "fairness" aspect of requiring both teams to have the ball in OT isn't valid IMO.

I feel that with the short season football had, games shouldn't end in a tie, and I like the concept of overtime. Sudden death is my model of choice.

RE: College football overtime - Chappy - 05-25-2017 09:24 AM

(05-25-2017 08:19 AM)megadrone Wrote:  I always liked sudden death. My feeling -- you had 60 minutes to win the game and you didn't. Play in overtime until someone puts points on the board.

Statistically, getting the ball first did not have much impact on who wins in overtime, so the "fairness" aspect of requiring both teams to have the ball in OT isn't valid IMO.

I feel that with the short season football had, games shouldn't end in a tie, and I like the concept of overtime. Sudden death is my model of choice.

I agree with everything you said.

RE: College football overtime - pesik - 05-25-2017 09:43 AM

of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

in the nfl your entire season and this superbowl was decided by a coin flip....whoever wins the coin flip just has to score....no chance to retort..

RE: College football overtime - Chappy - 05-25-2017 09:45 AM

(05-25-2017 09:43 AM)pesik Wrote:  of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

in the nfl your entire season and this superbowl was decided by a coin flip....whoever wins the coin flip just has to score....no chance to retort..

Whoever loses the coin flip sends their defense out there to stop them. It's still decided on the field.

RE: College football overtime - pesik - 05-25-2017 09:51 AM

(05-25-2017 09:45 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 09:43 AM)pesik Wrote:  of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

Whoever loses the coin flip sends their defense out there to stop them. It's still decided on the field.

its not the same , as teams are built differently ... your strength might be offense but weak on defense ... or you might match up different or bad to a different team...

there is a 80% chance the outcome of the superbowl changes because of a coin flip..
let football decide the game, regardless of a coin flip the outcome shouldn't be drastically affected like in college
there is an advantage but it doesn't decide the game

RE: College football overtime - panama - 05-25-2017 10:03 AM

(05-25-2017 06:12 AM)pcm0103 Wrote:  Listening to Mike and Mike this morning and he said that the way that overtime in college football is setup was the worst idea ever. And it takes away from the game. How does everybody else feel about it? I like the way is setup. At least you have a winner at the end of the game. I never understood a tie in football, especially in the nfl.

It's better than the NFL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: College football overtime - panama - 05-25-2017 10:05 AM

...in a league where offenses score on a majority of possesions

RE: College football overtime - CoastalJuan - 05-25-2017 10:06 AM

(05-25-2017 09:51 AM)pesik Wrote:  

its not the same , as teams are built differently ... your strength might be offense but weak on defense ... or you might match up different or bad to a different team...

there is a 80% chance the outcome of the superbowl changes because of a coin flip..
let football decide the game, regardless of a coin flip the outcome shouldn't be drastically affected like in college
there is an advantage but it doesn't decide the game

Tend to agree with this. I'd bet that the data matches up as well. It will show that WAAAY more NFL teams that win the coin flip go on to win the game.

RE: College football overtime - CoastalJuan - 05-25-2017 10:17 AM

(05-25-2017 10:05 AM)panama Wrote:  

...in a league where offenses score on a majority of possesions

I don't, however, think that is correct. In the NFL, there is an offensive score on about 35% of possessions.

RE: College football overtime - PirateTreasureNC - 05-25-2017 10:24 AM

The defense first team needs to have the ability to give their offense a shot. Once both offenses have had a shot then whomever scores first is cool with me.

RE: College football overtime - ECUGrad07 - 05-25-2017 10:30 AM

Yeah the college overtime is by far the best setup.

RE: College football overtime - Wilkie01 - 05-25-2017 10:43 AM

(05-25-2017 10:30 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Yeah the college overtime is by far the best setup.

Agree, and if its not broke don't #uck with it! 07-coffee3

RE: College football overtime - Chappy - 05-25-2017 11:27 AM

The team that received the ball first in OT in the NFL won something like 53% of the time. Not enough to create all these complex rules (like if the first team to score scores a field goal the other team gets the ball but if they score a TD the other team doesn't get the ball - what type of sense does that make?) or turn the extra period into a scrimmage.