Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College football overtime
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
College football overtime
Listening to Mike and Mike this morning and he said that the way that overtime in college football is setup was the worst idea ever. And it takes away from the game. How does everybody else feel about it? I like the way is setup. At least you have a winner at the end of the game. I never understood a tie in football, especially in the nfl.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
05-25-2017 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: College football overtime
I like the overtime setup college football has. No changes needed. One of the great things that is unique to the college game.
05-25-2017 06:52 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I do not listen to grown men talk about boys playing a sport.
05-25-2017 07:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(05-25-2017 07:11 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  I do not listen to grown men talk about boys playing a sport.

And yet here we are...
05-25-2017 07:41 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
College football overtime is way better then NFL overtime. It is the most fair form. Comes down to offense scoring or defense making a stop.
05-25-2017 07:42 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
CFB Overtime is one of the great defining features of the game. Much better than the corporate structure the NFL has.

Did he mention why it was the worst idea ever or is he just generating clickbait?
05-25-2017 08:13 AM
Advertisement

pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(05-25-2017 08:13 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  CFB Overtime is one of the great defining features of the game. Much better than the corporate structure the NFL has.

Did he mention why it was the worst idea ever or is he just generating clickbait?
This is his opinion from last year which is pretty much what he said this morning.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17484652&sf35292456=1

05-25-2017 08:18 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
I always liked sudden death. My feeling -- you had 60 minutes to win the game and you didn't. Play in overtime until someone puts points on the board.

Statistically, getting the ball first did not have much impact on who wins in overtime, so the "fairness" aspect of requiring both teams to have the ball in OT isn't valid IMO.

I feel that with the short season football had, games shouldn't end in a tie, and I like the concept of overtime. Sudden death is my model of choice.
05-25-2017 08:19 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(05-25-2017 08:19 AM)megadrone Wrote:  I always liked sudden death. My feeling -- you had 60 minutes to win the game and you didn't. Play in overtime until someone puts points on the board.

Statistically, getting the ball first did not have much impact on who wins in overtime, so the "fairness" aspect of requiring both teams to have the ball in OT isn't valid IMO.

I feel that with the short season football had, games shouldn't end in a tie, and I like the concept of overtime. Sudden death is my model of choice.

I agree with everything you said.
05-25-2017 09:24 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

in the nfl your entire season and this superbowl was decided by a coin flip....whoever wins the coin flip just has to score....no chance to retort..
05-25-2017 09:43 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(05-25-2017 09:43 AM)pesik Wrote:  of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

in the nfl your entire season and this superbowl was decided by a coin flip....whoever wins the coin flip just has to score....no chance to retort..

Whoever loses the coin flip sends their defense out there to stop them. It's still decided on the field.
05-25-2017 09:45 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(05-25-2017 09:45 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 09:43 AM)pesik Wrote:  of all the overtime i love college football the best...ITS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

Whoever loses the coin flip sends their defense out there to stop them. It's still decided on the field.

its not the same , as teams are built differently ... your strength might be offense but weak on defense ... or you might match up different or bad to a different team...

there is a 80% chance the outcome of the superbowl changes because of a coin flip..
let football decide the game, regardless of a coin flip the outcome shouldn't be drastically affected like in college
there is an advantage but it doesn't decide the game
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 10:05 AM by pesik.)
05-25-2017 09:51 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(05-25-2017 06:12 AM)pcm0103 Wrote:  Listening to Mike and Mike this morning and he said that the way that overtime in college football is setup was the worst idea ever. And it takes away from the game. How does everybody else feel about it? I like the way is setup. At least you have a winner at the end of the game. I never understood a tie in football, especially in the nfl.

It's better than the NFL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-25-2017 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

...in a league where offenses score on a majority of possesions

05-25-2017 10:05 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(05-25-2017 09:51 AM)pesik Wrote:  

its not the same , as teams are built differently ... your strength might be offense but weak on defense ... or you might match up different or bad to a different team...

there is a 80% chance the outcome of the superbowl changes because of a coin flip..
let football decide the game, regardless of a coin flip the outcome shouldn't be drastically affected like in college
there is an advantage but it doesn't decide the game

Tend to agree with this. I'd bet that the data matches up as well. It will show that WAAAY more NFL teams that win the coin flip go on to win the game.
05-25-2017 10:06 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(05-25-2017 10:05 AM)panama Wrote:  

...in a league where offenses score on a majority of possesions

I don't, however, think that is correct. In the NFL, there is an offensive score on about 35% of possessions.
05-25-2017 10:17 AM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

The defense first team needs to have the ability to give their offense a shot. Once both offenses have had a shot then whomever scores first is cool with me.
05-25-2017 10:24 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah the college overtime is by far the best setup.
05-25-2017 10:30 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(05-25-2017 10:30 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Yeah the college overtime is by far the best setup.

Agree, and if its not broke don't #uck with it! 07-coffee3
05-25-2017 10:43 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

The team that received the ball first in OT in the NFL won something like 53% of the time. Not enough to create all these complex rules (like if the first team to score scores a field goal the other team gets the ball but if they score a TD the other team doesn't get the ball - what type of sense does that make?) or turn the extra period into a scrimmage.
05-25-2017 11:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.