CSNbbs
A look at Syracuse's Zone - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: A look at Syracuse's Zone (/thread-808908.html)

A look at Syracuse's Zone - Luckeyone - 02-12-2017 09:56 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/128181-taking-a-look-at-the-su-2-3-zone-vs-man-to-man-defense-dilemma.amp.html

An older article but interesting how even a Syracuse player wanted to play M2M. At any rate, an interesting perspective.......

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - Luckeyone - 02-12-2017 10:28 PM

Reasons why Syracuse's and EMUs zone doesn't work:

https://youtu.be/hHWdZxRq9pk

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - EMU03' - 02-12-2017 10:47 PM

(02-12-2017 09:56 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/128181-taking-a-look-at-the-su-2-3-zone-vs-man-to-man-defense-dilemma.amp.html

An older article but interesting how even a Syracuse player wanted to play M2M. At any rate, an interesting perspective.......

A valid point toward the end of the article about the difficulties with defensive rebounding out of the zone. When the zone works well, usually against poor outside shooting teams or teams with no post presence we can afford to give up a few extra offensive rebounds. However, we are giving up a lot of easy layups on post to post passes and wide open 3s, so the offensive rebounds have exasperated the weaknesses in our defense.

I don't expect Murphy to abandon the trademark of his program, and if he does it will be more a sign of desperation.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - EagleSam - 02-13-2017 10:56 AM

Luckeyone will go down with the ship of blaming a zone defense on our struggles. It's becoming laughable, considering we can't shoot, can't take care of the ball, and have no offensive system to speak of, yet your culprit is the 2-3 zone.

Granted, we have not been as good as year's past defensively, but I still see that as more of an effort issue than a scheme issue. Only two teams in the MAC have truly exploited the zone this season, and both (Ball State and Akron) have one thing in common: big men who are excellent passers. Now, I agree with you that we should probably play M2M against Ball State, because we match up better physically with them. But Akron? The thought of either Steele or Thompson trying to guard Big Dog one-on-one is frightening. They have a "pick your poison" offense that would kill us either way.

Murphy's downfall will be entirely on the offensive end, where we are wasting an opportunity with a couple big men that can hit outside shots (Steele and Nobles), yet are being used so incorrectly. Why we don't run a pick-and-pop with Toney/Bond and Steele, with Mangum/Lee and Nobles on the wings spotting up, and Thompson on the baseline, is beyond me. We should be much more effective on the offensive end...the talent is there, but the system is not.

Keep blaming the defense, but when we miss a ton of shots and turn the ball over while playing at the pace we like, we aren't going to win.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - Luckeyone - 02-13-2017 08:32 PM

The one thing I've always said about Syracuse, the one thing about that zone, it lets inferior teams stay in the game," Barkley said. "They don't put a lot of pressure on you. You're gonna get good shots. I think sometimes, if they would switch to man-to-man, they could use their talent level. They're always bigger and stronger but they play that zone, teams don't turn the ball over. You're always going to get a great opportunity."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.syracuse.com/articles/12497652/cbs_analyst_charles_barkley_thinks_syracuse_basketball_needs_to_play_more_man-to.amp

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - EagleSam - 02-13-2017 09:21 PM

Charles Barkley definitely isn't the analyst you want to use to make your case.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emussuperfan - 02-14-2017 04:24 PM

Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emu steve - 02-14-2017 04:58 PM

(02-14-2017 04:24 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.

Super is probably quoting Wikipedia. 03-lmfao

BTW, EMU has plenty of speed and quicks to play M2M.

JT4 and Bond are very quick at their respective positions.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emu steve - 02-14-2017 05:22 PM

One thing to put the whole issue of zone into context.

Most teams (I think) play at least some zone.

It isn't like before the season starts a coach evaluates his lineup and decides to pick a defense based on the characteristics of the team.

In this respect I'm probably with Luckeyone and others (Sam, I think) that EMU could go M2M versus certain teams (unathletic, very good trey shooting, etc.).

Don't want to get to next year now, but I'd put JT4 back at center, Minnie at PF, Bond at SF. That lineup could very easily play M2M very well. It is very, very athletic (Minnie could be a surprise player next season).

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - EagleSam - 02-14-2017 06:02 PM

I hate sounding like a fanboy for the zone...it really hasn't been hugely effective since DaShonte Riley left. That 2013-2014 team with Riley, Bryant, Ward, Harrison, JR Sims, etc., was stellar defensively. The big link was obviously Riley, who took the paint away by himself. Now, we need forwards to crash in and help out, which always seems to leave an open man. Ball State exploits that like crazy.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we mixed up the defenses. All I'm saying is, we aren't winning more so because our offense has been putrid at a faster pace than we should be playing. If we aren't scoring on fast breaks, then we are screwed, plain and simple.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emu steve - 02-14-2017 06:09 PM

(02-14-2017 06:02 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  I hate sounding like a fanboy for the zone...it really hasn't been hugely effective since DaShonte Riley left. That 2013-2014 team with Riley, Bryant, Ward, Harrison, JR Sims, etc., was stellar defensively. The big link was obviously Riley, who took the paint away by himself. Now, we need forwards to crash in and help out, which always seems to leave an open man. Ball State exploits that like crazy.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we mixed up the defenses. All I'm saying is, we aren't winning more so because our offense has been putrid at a faster pace than we should be playing. If we aren't scoring on fast breaks, then we are screwed, plain and simple.

For me, I'm more concerned about making 10 - 12 treys tonight and winning that way then our defense.

I need to look at our trey stats and see how many times we make 10 (or more) out of say 20 attempts.

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emu steve - 02-14-2017 06:14 PM

http://emueagles.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2016&

We have not made 10 (or more) treys in ANY game (including NAIA) this year.

http://emueagles.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2016&

Akron is ave. 10.7 treys / game:

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/teams/akron

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone - emussuperfan - 02-14-2017 06:56 PM

(02-14-2017 04:58 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 04:24 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.

Super is probably quoting Wikipedia. 03-lmfao

BTW, EMU has plenty of speed and quicks to play M2M.

JT4 and Bond are very quick at their respective positions.

Nope they stole it from me the bastards07-coffee3