Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A look at Syracuse's Zone
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
A look at Syracuse's Zone
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication...a.amp.html

An older article but interesting how even a Syracuse player wanted to play M2M. At any rate, an interesting perspective.......
02-12-2017 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: A look at Syracuse's Zone
Reasons why Syracuse's and EMUs zone doesn't work:

https://youtu.be/hHWdZxRq9pk
02-12-2017 10:28 PM
EMU03' Offline
2nd String

(02-12-2017 09:56 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication...a.amp.html

An older article but interesting how even a Syracuse player wanted to play M2M. At any rate, an interesting perspective.......

A valid point toward the end of the article about the difficulties with defensive rebounding out of the zone. When the zone works well, usually against poor outside shooting teams or teams with no post presence we can afford to give up a few extra offensive rebounds. However, we are giving up a lot of easy layups on post to post passes and wide open 3s, so the offensive rebounds have exasperated the weaknesses in our defense.

I don't expect Murphy to abandon the trademark of his program, and if he does it will be more a sign of desperation.
02-12-2017 10:47 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Luckeyone will go down with the ship of blaming a zone defense on our struggles. It's becoming laughable, considering we can't shoot, can't take care of the ball, and have no offensive system to speak of, yet your culprit is the 2-3 zone.

Granted, we have not been as good as year's past defensively, but I still see that as more of an effort issue than a scheme issue. Only two teams in the MAC have truly exploited the zone this season, and both (Ball State and Akron) have one thing in common: big men who are excellent passers. Now, I agree with you that we should probably play M2M against Ball State, because we match up better physically with them. But Akron? The thought of either Steele or Thompson trying to guard Big Dog one-on-one is frightening. They have a "pick your poison" offense that would kill us either way.

Murphy's downfall will be entirely on the offensive end, where we are wasting an opportunity with a couple big men that can hit outside shots (Steele and Nobles), yet are being used so incorrectly. Why we don't run a pick-and-pop with Toney/Bond and Steele, with Mangum/Lee and Nobles on the wings spotting up, and Thompson on the baseline, is beyond me. We should be much more effective on the offensive end...the talent is there, but the system is not.

Keep blaming the defense, but when we miss a ton of shots and turn the ball over while playing at the pace we like, we aren't going to win.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017 10:57 AM by EagleSam.)
02-13-2017 10:56 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

The one thing I've always said about Syracuse, the one thing about that zone, it lets inferior teams stay in the game," Barkley said. "They don't put a lot of pressure on you. You're gonna get good shots. I think sometimes, if they would switch to man-to-man, they could use their talent level. They're always bigger and stronger but they play that zone, teams don't turn the ball over. You're always going to get a great opportunity."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.syracuse....man-to.amp
02-13-2017 08:32 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Charles Barkley definitely isn't the analyst you want to use to make your case.
02-13-2017 09:21 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.
02-14-2017 04:24 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-14-2017 04:24 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.

Super is probably quoting Wikipedia. 03-lmfao

BTW, EMU has plenty of speed and quicks to play M2M.

JT4 and Bond are very quick at their respective positions.
02-14-2017 04:58 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

One thing to put the whole issue of zone into context.

Most teams (I think) play at least some zone.

It isn't like before the season starts a coach evaluates his lineup and decides to pick a defense based on the characteristics of the team.

In this respect I'm probably with Luckeyone and others (Sam, I think) that EMU could go M2M versus certain teams (unathletic, very good trey shooting, etc.).

Don't want to get to next year now, but I'd put JT4 back at center, Minnie at PF, Bond at SF. That lineup could very easily play M2M very well. It is very, very athletic (Minnie could be a surprise player next season).
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017 05:34 PM by emu steve.)
02-14-2017 05:22 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I hate sounding like a fanboy for the zone...it really hasn't been hugely effective since DaShonte Riley left. That 2013-2014 team with Riley, Bryant, Ward, Harrison, JR Sims, etc., was stellar defensively. The big link was obviously Riley, who took the paint away by himself. Now, we need forwards to crash in and help out, which always seems to leave an open man. Ball State exploits that like crazy.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we mixed up the defenses. All I'm saying is, we aren't winning more so because our offense has been putrid at a faster pace than we should be playing. If we aren't scoring on fast breaks, then we are screwed, plain and simple.
02-14-2017 06:02 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-14-2017 06:02 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  I hate sounding like a fanboy for the zone...it really hasn't been hugely effective since DaShonte Riley left. That 2013-2014 team with Riley, Bryant, Ward, Harrison, JR Sims, etc., was stellar defensively. The big link was obviously Riley, who took the paint away by himself. Now, we need forwards to crash in and help out, which always seems to leave an open man. Ball State exploits that like crazy.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we mixed up the defenses. All I'm saying is, we aren't winning more so because our offense has been putrid at a faster pace than we should be playing. If we aren't scoring on fast breaks, then we are screwed, plain and simple.

For me, I'm more concerned about making 10 - 12 treys tonight and winning that way then our defense.

I need to look at our trey stats and see how many times we make 10 (or more) out of say 20 attempts.
02-14-2017 06:09 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

http://emueagles.com/cumestats.aspx?path...year=2016&

We have not made 10 (or more) treys in ANY game (including NAIA) this year.

http://emueagles.com/cumestats.aspx?path...year=2016&

Akron is ave. 10.7 treys / game:

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/teams/akron
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017 06:21 PM by emu steve.)
02-14-2017 06:14 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(02-14-2017 04:58 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 04:24 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  Both have there plus and minuses. It really comes down to do you have the player's for those defensives. Zones are used to cover a weakness in a defensive. Man to man depends a lot on speed and quickness.

Super is probably quoting Wikipedia. 03-lmfao

BTW, EMU has plenty of speed and quicks to play M2M.

JT4 and Bond are very quick at their respective positions.

Nope they stole it from me the bastards07-coffee3
02-14-2017 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.