CSNbbs
UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football (/thread-737649.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - UABGrad - 05-16-2015 01:05 AM

Over the last few weeks we have garnered $7.5 mil in pledges over the next 5 years, the city has pledged $2.75 mil over the next 5 years and the student SGA has asked for $25/ semester fee increase which would be $2.5 mil over the next 5 years. That's $2.55 mil/yr and we are just starting. Big boosters haven't chimed in yet.

Quote:UAB's athletic department would have an annual deficit of $3.165 million if it reinstated football, rifle and bowling, according to a school commissioned report, obtained by AL.com

Quote:CSS deduced that both continuing to exist without the three sports and reinstating them were "viable options" for UAB. However, it also stated in the report that due to the strong desire throughout the community for the sports to return a decision to reinstate them would boost donations greater than current levels.

"It would foster much goodwill and stimulate a substantial amount of spiritual and financial support from alumni, donors, ticket holders, friends, students, faculty and the community," CSS wrote. "It could create a unique opportunity, not only through that support, but also through unprecedented positive national attention to the University."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/uab_report_reveals_how_much_it.html

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - UABGrad - 05-16-2015 01:25 AM

"CSS report appears to see the wisdom in bringing back UAB football"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/css_report_appears_to_see_the.html#incart_river

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - Shrack - 05-16-2015 02:31 AM

And we lose 2.3 million if we lose CUSA membership... After everything is said and done or is probably under 3 mill that needs to be filled.
I guess maybe it's already included, can't read the report right now.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - MinerInWisconsin - 05-16-2015 07:12 AM

(05-16-2015 02:31 AM)Shrack Wrote:  And we lose 2.3 million if we lose CUSA membership... After everything is said and done or is probably under 3 mill that needs to be filled.
I guess maybe it's already included, can't read the report right now.

The report should already include the current (past several years average) of contributions. According to the USAToday college finances site, UAB has averaged about $3 million per year in athletic donations. That's not a bad standard all by itself so if the current fund raising efforts come to more than that, UAB has a convincing argument to bring football back. Should happen.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - CajunFanatico - 05-16-2015 08:54 AM

Looks like there are plenty of bright spots in the CSS report that, under normal conditions, would indicate this one is a slam dunk for the football program.

But then, there was this statement issued by Watts before receiving the CSS report:

Quote:"We will consider the report's findings, along with other important, valuable and mission-critical data, in order to make the best decision for UAB going forward, guided by our vision, mission and strategic plan."

Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - panama - 05-16-2015 09:14 AM

Flight Data recorder?

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - SATXBOSSMAN - 05-16-2015 09:19 AM

The report is very favorable towards a return of UAB football. And I hope it forces Watts hand, But it is not a slam dunk or a home run and that is worrisome. Watts could say that by 2020 we will start to turn a profit if we go without football & can have a bright future in basketball. I still haven't seen anything about this report including facilities upgrades, OCS or COA costs. Did I miss that? I still don't think Watts & UA BOT will acknowledge all of the pledges either. If Jim from Spokane, WA. pledged $1000yr/5yrs($5000) but has no real ties to the university...how do you even count that pledge? Just asking.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - UABGrad - 05-16-2015 12:20 PM

"CSS report goes MythBusters on the anti-UAB football crowd"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/css_report_goes_mythbusters_on.html#incart_river

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - BeliefBlazer - 05-16-2015 02:08 PM

(05-16-2015 08:54 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?

Whatever Watts and the BOT want it to include.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - CameramanJ - 05-16-2015 02:51 PM

(05-16-2015 02:08 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 08:54 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?

Whatever Watts and the BOT want it to include.

Which means that it will be about as relevant as a loud fart during a flute solo.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - FlyHawk98 - 05-16-2015 03:15 PM

Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Watts reinstating football is also him having to publicly swallow his pride, and admit he made a mistake in shutting the program down.

I'm hoping you guys win this battle. I think it would be awesome.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - ICB - 05-16-2015 08:37 PM

(05-16-2015 03:15 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Watts reinstating football is also him having to publicly swallow his pride, and admit he made a mistake in shutting the program down.

Publicly swallow his pride or throw Carr Sports Consulting under the bus. Carr Sports just took down their website...

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - AdoptedMonarch - 05-16-2015 08:52 PM

(05-16-2015 08:37 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 03:15 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Publicly swallow his pride or throw Carr Sports Consulting under the bus. Carr Sports just took down their website...

Damn, you're right. I sincerely hope that is more than an incredibly remarkable coincidence.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - airtroop - 05-16-2015 10:34 PM

Carr deserves to be gone. Top 3 f-ups they've done right off of the top of my head: UAB ('nuff sed); USA (concluded they should start D-IAA non-scholarship and join the Pioneer League and proceed SLOWWWWWLY) and also recommended Georgia Southern NOT reinstate their football program... has this bootlicker ever gotten ANYTHING RIGHT???

This JACKA$$ has no alternative than to re-emerge under a new corporate veil and name (and website) or rush to the free soup line ASAP.

Who amongst us can't do what this scammer does -- have someone sit him down and say "I want/don't want [x]. I'll pay you [x] to review some crap I'm gonna give you and YOUR job is to make my wishes come true."?

Sad thing is, UAB loses this one 01-swc

And I'm not particularly thrilled about it either.

Bookmark this post for future reference.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - BamaScorpio69 - 05-17-2015 01:02 AM

It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - BRtransplant - 05-17-2015 04:48 AM

(05-17-2015 01:02 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.

When UAB announced that it was giving up football, it gave a couple of schools in the Sun Belt Conference new hope of getting into CUSA. I completely understand their being disappointed now that it looks likely that they won't be leaving the Sun Belt anytime soon.

Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - MinerInWisconsin - 05-17-2015 07:35 AM

(05-17-2015 04:48 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 01:02 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.

When UAB announced that it was giving up football, it gave a couple of schools in the Sun Belt Conference new hope of getting into CUSA. I completely understand their being disappointed now that it looks likely that they won't be leaving the Sun Belt anytime soon.

Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.

When UAB football is reinstated, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, then our squabbling over east/west divisions will begin anew. Then we will argue about developing new and separate conferences. The fun never stops.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - Afflicted - 05-17-2015 08:30 AM

Agree.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - WIowl - 05-17-2015 08:41 AM

(05-17-2015 04:48 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.

I hope not. It's likely the only way out for Rice.

RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-17-2015 08:48 AM

I will enjoy plying those programs and squashing them like a bug in any sport. I'm sick if it.