Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football
Bookmark and Share
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football
Over the last few weeks we have garnered $7.5 mil in pledges over the next 5 years, the city has pledged $2.75 mil over the next 5 years and the student SGA has asked for $25/ semester fee increase which would be $2.5 mil over the next 5 years. That's $2.55 mil/yr and we are just starting. Big boosters haven't chimed in yet.

Quote:UAB's athletic department would have an annual deficit of $3.165 million if it reinstated football, rifle and bowling, according to a school commissioned report, obtained by AL.com

Quote:CSS deduced that both continuing to exist without the three sports and reinstating them were "viable options" for UAB. However, it also stated in the report that due to the strong desire throughout the community for the sports to return a decision to reinstate them would boost donations greater than current levels.

"It would foster much goodwill and stimulate a substantial amount of spiritual and financial support from alumni, donors, ticket holders, friends, students, faculty and the community," CSS wrote. "It could create a unique opportunity, not only through that support, but also through unprecedented positive national attention to the University."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...ch_it.html
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 01:06 AM by UABGrad.)
05-16-2015 01:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: UAB report reveals costs to reinstate football
"CSS report appears to see the wisdom in bringing back UAB football"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...cart_river
05-16-2015 01:25 AM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
And we lose 2.3 million if we lose CUSA membership... After everything is said and done or is probably under 3 mill that needs to be filled.
I guess maybe it's already included, can't read the report right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 02:35 AM by Shrack.)
05-16-2015 02:31 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(05-16-2015 02:31 AM)Shrack Wrote:  And we lose 2.3 million if we lose CUSA membership... After everything is said and done or is probably under 3 mill that needs to be filled.
I guess maybe it's already included, can't read the report right now.

The report should already include the current (past several years average) of contributions. According to the USAToday college finances site, UAB has averaged about $3 million per year in athletic donations. That's not a bad standard all by itself so if the current fund raising efforts come to more than that, UAB has a convincing argument to bring football back. Should happen.
05-16-2015 07:12 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Looks like there are plenty of bright spots in the CSS report that, under normal conditions, would indicate this one is a slam dunk for the football program.

But then, there was this statement issued by Watts before receiving the CSS report:

Quote:"We will consider the report's findings, along with other important, valuable and mission-critical data, in order to make the best decision for UAB going forward, guided by our vision, mission and strategic plan."

Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?
05-16-2015 08:54 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Flight Data recorder?
05-16-2015 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
The report is very favorable towards a return of UAB football. And I hope it forces Watts hand, But it is not a slam dunk or a home run and that is worrisome. Watts could say that by 2020 we will start to turn a profit if we go without football & can have a bright future in basketball. I still haven't seen anything about this report including facilities upgrades, OCS or COA costs. Did I miss that? I still don't think Watts & UA BOT will acknowledge all of the pledges either. If Jim from Spokane, WA. pledged $1000yr/5yrs($5000) but has no real ties to the university...how do you even count that pledge? Just asking.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 12:32 PM by SATXBOSSMAN.)
05-16-2015 09:19 AM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
"CSS report goes MythBusters on the anti-UAB football crowd"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...cart_river
05-16-2015 12:20 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(05-16-2015 08:54 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?

Whatever Watts and the BOT want it to include.
05-16-2015 02:08 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(05-16-2015 02:08 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 08:54 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Has Watts laid out recently exactly what the mission and strategic plan include?

Whatever Watts and the BOT want it to include.

Which means that it will be about as relevant as a loud fart during a flute solo.
05-16-2015 02:51 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Watts reinstating football is also him having to publicly swallow his pride, and admit he made a mistake in shutting the program down.

I'm hoping you guys win this battle. I think it would be awesome.
05-16-2015 03:15 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2015 03:15 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Watts reinstating football is also him having to publicly swallow his pride, and admit he made a mistake in shutting the program down.

Publicly swallow his pride or throw Carr Sports Consulting under the bus. Carr Sports just took down their website...
05-16-2015 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-16-2015 08:37 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 03:15 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Here is what everyone needs to remember.

Publicly swallow his pride or throw Carr Sports Consulting under the bus. Carr Sports just took down their website...

Damn, you're right. I sincerely hope that is more than an incredibly remarkable coincidence.
05-16-2015 08:52 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Carr deserves to be gone. Top 3 f-ups they've done right off of the top of my head: UAB ('nuff sed); USA (concluded they should start D-IAA non-scholarship and join the Pioneer League and proceed SLOWWWWWLY) and also recommended Georgia Southern NOT reinstate their football program... has this bootlicker ever gotten ANYTHING RIGHT???

This JACKA$$ has no alternative than to re-emerge under a new corporate veil and name (and website) or rush to the free soup line ASAP.

Who amongst us can't do what this scammer does -- have someone sit him down and say "I want/don't want [x]. I'll pay you [x] to review some crap I'm gonna give you and YOUR job is to make my wishes come true."?

Sad thing is, UAB loses this one 01-swc

And I'm not particularly thrilled about it either.

Bookmark this post for future reference.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 10:40 PM by airtroop.)
05-16-2015 10:34 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.
05-17-2015 01:02 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(05-17-2015 01:02 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.

When UAB announced that it was giving up football, it gave a couple of schools in the Sun Belt Conference new hope of getting into CUSA. I completely understand their being disappointed now that it looks likely that they won't be leaving the Sun Belt anytime soon.

Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.
05-17-2015 04:48 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(05-17-2015 04:48 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 01:02 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It is so amusing that many Sun Belt posters, while they do not agree with what happened to UAB Football sure as hell do not want it to see it reinstated. That is why I will take great pleasure in seeing UAB Football reinstated and ready for play in 2016.

When UAB announced that it was giving up football, it gave a couple of schools in the Sun Belt Conference new hope of getting into CUSA. I completely understand their being disappointed now that it looks likely that they won't be leaving the Sun Belt anytime soon.

Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.

When UAB football is reinstated, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, then our squabbling over east/west divisions will begin anew. Then we will argue about developing new and separate conferences. The fun never stops.
05-17-2015 07:35 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH

Agree.
05-17-2015 08:30 AM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(05-17-2015 04:48 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Realignment may finally be finished for the next decade or two.

I hope not. It's likely the only way out for Rice.
05-17-2015 08:41 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I will enjoy plying those programs and squashing them like a bug in any sport. I'm sick if it.
05-17-2015 08:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.