Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News New York Cancels Three Major Offshore Wind Projects, Joe Biden* Hardest Hit
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
New York Cancels Three Major Offshore Wind Projects, Joe Biden* Hardest Hit
Quote:Joe Biden’s green energy plans just took another hit as three large New York offshore wind projects were scrapped Friday after the state was unable to reach “final agreements” with General Electric despite the fact that the three proposed developments had received provisional awards in October 2023.

NYSERDA, the state authority in charge of the deals, announced Friday that no final agreements could be reached with the three projects that received provisional awards in October 2023. Those bids were all linked to major supply chain investments by General Electric and a larger turbine it planned to build that was aimed at boosting the region’s renewable energy portfolio.

The news is not good for Joe Biden:

[The cancellation is] a major hit to the industry in the state and the nation.

The decision is another setback to New York’s aspirations to achieve 70 percent renewable energy by 2030 and be a hub for the nascent industry in the United States. It will also be another challenge for President Joe Biden’s already likely out-of-reach 30 gigawatt goal for offshore wind by 2030.

NYSERDA issued a complicated and wordy statement that basically just seemed to say, things got real complicated:

“Subsequent to the provisional award announcement, material modifications to projects bid into New York’s third offshore wind solicitation caused technical and commercial complexities between provisional awardees and their partners, resulting in the provisionally awarded parties’ inability to come to terms,” NYSERDA wrote in an announcement.

Doreen Harris, President & CEO of NYSERDA, sounded a confident note and claimed the projects were canceled because the technology is still developing:

However, local fishermen seemed happy to see the projects scuttled:

Such highly-hyped offshore projects have been running into more headwinds as of late:

The offshore wind industry is stumbling despite the availability of generous tax credits contained in the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), Biden’s signature climate bill. Inflation, higher borrowing costs and logistical problems are gumming up projects and contracts that appeared lucrative and viable around the time that Biden signed the IRA into law.

Biden’s 2030 target continues to fall further out of reach with Friday’s cancellation, as Reuters reported in November 2023 that the goal already appeared to be unattainable given headwinds in the industry.

The turbines are also allegedly causing whale deaths:

Officials vowed they will continue to push for the unsightly technology and that they remain committed to their goals of getting more projects online by 2030. There's no denying, however, that these cancellations remain a major setback to such efforts.

Link
04-21-2024 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: New York Cancels Three Major Offshore Wind Projects, Joe Biden* Hardest Hit
I guess "provisionally" is the new "transitory"
04-21-2024 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
He and Obama have these grand plans for energy and spent tons of taxpayer dollars, only for it to fail.. I sometimes wonder if it's a money laundering plan..
04-22-2024 08:14 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-22-2024 08:14 AM)gdunn Wrote:  He and Obama have these grand plans for energy and spent tons of taxpayer dollars, only for it to fail.. I sometimes wonder if it's a money laundering plan..

Ya think? Biden, money laundering….. nah.

** pulls out Ukraine flag to wave**
04-22-2024 08:17 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
It would be best to put as many windmill farms in the Gulf of Mexico as possible so that the Hurricanes can completely demolish them every couple of years and we can spend our money rebuilding them repetitively.

Its how our brain dead government works.

Wash rinse repeat
04-22-2024 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.