Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Won 10 Games and Still Didn't Get a Bowl (YouTube)
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Won 10 Games and Still Didn't Get a Bowl (YouTube)

04-13-2024 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WreakHammockOnU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Won 10 Games and Still Didn't Get a Bowl (YouTube)
(04-13-2024 10:29 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Different times. Not as many bowls. But a great video piece that was well researched. Just have to teach him how to say DeKalb correctly. He makes it sound like they say it in Georgia.
04-14-2024 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-14-2024 01:29 AM)WreakHammockOnU Wrote:  

Different times. Not as many bowls. But a great video piece that was well researched. Just have to teach him how to say DeKalb correctly. He makes it sound like they say it in Georgia.

Agreed. For some reason, I had blocked out of my memory just how good the MAC was that year. I think about this season and, for whatever reason, forget there were two teams in the conference that had better records than NIU.
04-14-2024 08:52 AM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(04-14-2024 08:52 AM)Big Red Wrote:  

Agreed. For some reason, I had blocked out of my memory just how good the MAC was that year. I think about this season and, for whatever reason, forget there were two teams in the conference that had better records than NIU.

If not for key injures, that team might have gone undefeated
04-14-2024 11:12 AM
HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

This was just before my time. I am jealous of those that got to experience this.
04-14-2024 09:26 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(04-14-2024 09:26 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

This was just before my time. I am jealous of those that got to experience this.

This was a time when I'd been out of NIU for a few years and games were really not all that accessible on tv so I'd kind of lost touch with any NIU sports. Plus, when I left NIU, the football team was still pretty terrible (and the basketball team wasn't much better...though it was probably better...low bar to clear for sure).

Anyway, I had next to zero expectations for the team/season and probably wouldn't have noticed much until they beat Alabama, then it was kind of keeping track on 2003 internet, which wasn't easy to do and catching a game from time to time on ESPN, which was harder to do than many nowadays either realize or remember. And to be honest...I'm not sure how I followed anything about the team.
04-14-2024 10:52 PM
WreakHammockOnU Offline
Water Engineer

I think there were 5 MAC upsets of Power 5 conference teams on the day NIU beat Alabama. It was a Saturday night game so all the other MAC games were final while we were in the parking lot tailgating for the game. Going to see NIU win in Tuscaloosa was one of my favorite college football memories. The people were so nice to us. But then the next day me and a friend were eating breakfast in Birmingham before catching our flight home. We were wearing our NIU stuff and reading the local papers when person after person came up to us congratulating us. It turned out these were all Auburn fans.
04-14-2024 11:38 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(04-14-2024 11:12 AM)Klake1987 Wrote:  

Nick Duffy is at the top of that list.
04-16-2024 08:41 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(04-16-2024 08:41 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  
(04-14-2024 11:12 AM)Klake1987 Wrote:  

Nick Duffy is at the top of that list.
Yep he was glue of defense
04-17-2024 12:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.