Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Are the latest AAC additions mandated to make minimum investments?
This poll is closed.
Yes 57.14% 4 57.14%
No 42.86% 3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are the latest AAC additions mandated to make minimum investments?
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
A dispute exists about mandated minimum investments for the latest members.

I maintain there is no mandate based on the following Q & A:

Question: What kind of commitments have you gotten from smaller schools like Rice that they will invest in athletics?

Aresco: “Informal ones, but nothing formally in writing.“.

https://247sports.com/college/temple/art...184382014/

Yes
No

Please provide source.
03-27-2024 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Are the latest AAC additions mandated to make minimum investments?
considering the reduced payout I would guess reduced expectations.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024 09:51 AM by UofMemphis.)
03-27-2024 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Does anyone know why the AAC wanted Rice apart from being located in the Houston market? Academics sure, but do they care about basketball and football?
03-27-2024 09:56 AM
Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(03-27-2024 09:56 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Does anyone know why the AAC wanted Rice apart from being located in the Houston market? Academics sure, but do they care about basketball and football?

My guess would be those things, plus potential. While they haven’t been great in football/men’s basketball recently (particularly basketball), there’s no doubt in a perfect universe, they have the most potential with their high dollar alumni. Will they ever be able to get those alums to donate on a large level? Idk, I’ll leave it to the Rice fans to discuss that.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024 10:08 AM by Frank Grimes.)
03-27-2024 10:07 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-27-2024 09:56 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Does anyone know why the AAC wanted Rice apart from being located in the Houston market? Academics sure, but do they care about basketball and football?

you answered your own question...
03-27-2024 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
UTSA's facilities are atrocious and embarrassing - having witnessed ECU basketball & baseball play there.

Alamodome is fine.

I really hope they have a plan to make HUGE improvements.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024 10:31 AM by ECUGrad07.)
03-27-2024 10:30 AM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
So the answer to the poll question is "No."

But it isn't the picture you want to paint. Just including more of the quote from Aresco shines a different light:

“Informal ones, but nothing formally in writing. You don’t want to insult people, either, and say, ‘Oh, you have to do XYZ.’ We take them at their word and we’ve had informal commitments that I think are really important.... So a lot of things went into it, but we did talk to them all about what is going to have to be done in our conference to compete at the highest level. And that’s what we’ve done."

And the subsequent quote:
"we didn’t take anyone who didn’t make it clear to us that they’re going to make that commitment financially, because they’re going to have to come up to our level, and they will ..."

I didn't vote in the poll for reasons similar to why I didn't vote in polls jedclampett/JamesTKirk/Milwaukee set up.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024 10:57 AM by slhNavy91.)
03-27-2024 10:56 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-27-2024 10:30 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  UTSA's facilities are atrocious and embarrassing - having witnessed ECU basketball & baseball play there.

Alamodome is fine.

I really hope they have a plan to make HUGE improvements.

It's too bad Freeman Coliseum isn't closer to the UTSA campus. It's cool lookin'

[Image: Z8wnX.jpeg]
[Image: 1200x0.jpg]
03-27-2024 10:58 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(03-27-2024 09:32 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  A dispute exists about mandated minimum investments for the latest members.

Question: What kind of commitments have you gotten from smaller schools like Rice that they will invest in athletics?

Yes
No

Please provide source.

Couldn't contain this to the other thread? Or chose not to? Thats the only questions we need to answer here, you're getting to be as bad as quo even down to your program doiing jack squat to differentiate yourself from the new invitees.

Was there a formal mandate? No, Aresco even said why in that article, but that wouldn't fit your narrative would it? The thing about the quiet part is you're suppose to keep it quiet.

The schools added whether recent or a decade ago all came with flaws, just like evry p5/p4/p2 school added. They also come with strengths. I was very clear we should have added only two (Rixe and UAB) when we lost the three we did this year and sat tight to see what would happen. I also made it clear the length of our current media contract was an issue and that Aresco did a horrible job as a commish.

The schools recently added sans Army football have issues, UTSA's basketball, Rice's current athletics minus maybe baseball, FAU's facilities, etc. They all need something different and they will likely all pick different ways to address these shortcomings, meaning there is no checklist, no formal statement demands that address all six schools. Instead they looked for a minimum of positives, a competitive attitude, and a willingness to get to a certain level of overall performance.

Looking at each school we can see improvements being made in multiple areas and addressing specific shortcomings, Charlotte's stadium expansion, UTSA's basketball facility, Rice's 100 million athletic fund, etc. Which is indicative of these schools carrying through on their mandated requirements, each different. Each school meeting its own goals of increasing its competitiveness in the overall AAC.

Perhaps you should focus on what Memphis can do to improve its wasting away basketball and its slowly progrssively worse football program while competing in a "weaker" conference with members who are "below" Memphis' capabilities? That seems to be a much better use of your time and effort since you have zero influence over what other schools are doing. Quit being chicken little and start being a tiger.

Currently we are where we are, but even when we were competing at the top levels a few years ago in all sports no one was twiddling their thumbs and giving back pats about where we were, we were looking for ways to improve and move up. The current new crop of schools has that mentality and it would be better is all of our schools once again adopted that attitude instead of doomsdaying and trying to roast each other. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. Tulsa is underperforming in a lot of sports right now, Wichita is having issues in its two dominant sports, Memphis is underperforming, Navy football is trying to rebuild, Temple has been in scramble mode, USF is recovering but still short of its ability, ECU is stuck in neutral, Tulane still hasn't quite got there in basketball and its baseball is below its historical level. That can all change, but not while fans or the schools (who don't appear to share their supporters issues) are focused on the past and projectile vomiting negativity. Get on the train or get out of the way.
03-27-2024 11:13 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(03-27-2024 11:13 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 09:32 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  A dispute exists about mandated minimum investments for the latest members.

Yes
No

Please provide source.

Was there a formal mandate? No,

Thank you for your reply. I condensed it to a Reader’s Digest version.
03-27-2024 12:16 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
For the record, I was unsure about the answer because it has been often stated that the AAC required investments by the latest additions as a condition for admission. Therefore, I was surprised reading the Commissioner’s comment on the topic.

Pending research to the contrary, it appears only informal expectations have been set.
03-27-2024 12:25 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Do you know that Commissioner Aresco never said on record "$1 Billion" about the billion-dollar deal?
He instead has said things like: I'm not going to talk about numbers. There's a number out there being talked about. We all know what it is.

Why would anyone think that a hard and fast number for the new additions would be written down and THEN promulgated publicly?
03-27-2024 12:40 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

If not for UTSA bb, I would imagine this info would be for public consumption.
03-27-2024 12:57 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt asks if all AAC teams should be required to have on campus stadiums for all sports?
03-27-2024 01:58 PM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
(03-27-2024 10:56 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  So the answer to the poll question is "No."

But it isn't the picture you want to paint. Just including more of the quote from Aresco shines a different light:

“Informal ones, but nothing formally in writing. You don’t want to insult people, either, and say, ‘Oh, you have to do XYZ.’ We take them at their word and we’ve had informal commitments that I think are really important.... So a lot of things went into it, but we did talk to them all about what is going to have to be done in our conference to compete at the highest level. And that’s what we’ve done."

And the subsequent quote:
"we didn’t take anyone who didn’t make it clear to us that they’re going to make that commitment financially, because they’re going to have to come up to our level, and they will ..."

I didn't vote in the poll for reasons similar to why I didn't vote in polls jedclampett/JamesTKirk/Milwaukee set up.

AAAAHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA We tricked him...we are going to divest in our programs so memphis is stuck here forever!!! Suckers!
03-27-2024 02:35 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Cultural, Institutional and Geographic fit.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
03-27-2024 08:15 PM
Advertisement

UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(03-27-2024 01:58 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt asks if all AAC teams should be required to have on campus stadiums for all sports?

This.

Schools that play in an aging off campus football stadium and play in an NBA arena (albeit a nice one) probably shouldn't be worrying about others investment in their programs. Something about glass houses.

I'm sure if the Memphis coaches were honest they'd list a quality on campus facility at the top of their wish list
03-28-2024 12:30 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-28-2024 12:30 AM)UNT15 Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 01:58 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt asks if all AAC teams should be required to have on campus stadiums for all sports?

This.

Schools that play in an aging off campus football stadium and play in an NBA arena (albeit a nice one) probably shouldn't be worrying about others investment in their programs. Something about glass houses.

I'm sure if the Memphis coaches were honest they'd list a quality on campus facility at the top of their wish list

I grew up watching the Tigers play at the Liberty Bowl so I'm glad to see these major renovations.

[Image: resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.c...;type=webp]
03-28-2024 12:46 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Liberty Stadium is now on campus, lol.

And anybody who turns down playing in an NBA arena just off Beale Street, to be on campus, is an idiot. Especially since it is a whopping 6 miles from campus.

FedExForum is also 3/4 of a mile from our law school campus. We everywhere. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024 06:47 AM by TripleA.)
03-28-2024 06:47 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators

Why is Rice football getting dinged? Got one of two P5 scalps earned by the AAC, earned a bowl game, and finished 4-4 in conference (defeating Tulsa and ECU) with C-USA recruits and C-USA budgets. A ton of returning starters and another good trip through the portal.

What more did you expect in Year 1?
03-28-2024 07:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.