Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sweet 16: 1985 - 2024
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Sweet 16: 1985 - 2024
Appearances by Conference (Future Affiliation - incl. Oregon St and Washington St with WCC):
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy
1 - ASUN, MAAC, Patriot, SoCon, Summit

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
16 - Connecticut, Syracuse
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida
10 - Indiana, Oklahoma, Villanova, Wisconsin
9 - Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, Xavier
8 - Georgetown, Ohio St, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia
7 - Illinois, Iowa St, Memphis, North Carolina St, Oregon
6 - Florida St, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Oklahoma St, UNLV, Utah, Virginia
5 - Auburn, Baylor, Butler, Cincinnati, Houston, LSU, Miami (FL), Pittsburgh, Stanford, Temple, Texas Tech
4 - Clemson, Kansas St, Missouri, Notre Dame, San Diego St, Seton Hall, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Washington
3 - Boston College, Creighton, Iowa, Loyola - Chicago, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Providence, St. John's, Texas A&M, Tulsa, USC, Wichita St
2 - California, DePaul, Mississippi St, Nevada, Rhode Island, Richmond, Southern Illinois, St. Joseph's, Western Kentucky
1 - Arizona St, Ball St, Bradley, BYU, Chattanooga, Cleveland St, Cornell, Davidson, Dayton, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, George Washington, Georgia, La Salle, Louisiana Tech, Loyola Marymount, Miami (OH), Milwaukee, Mississippi, Missouri St, Navy, New Mexico St, Northern Iowa, Ohio, Oral Roberts, Oregon St, Penn St, Princeton, South Carolina, St. Mary's, St. Peter's, UAB, UTEP, Valparaiso, VCU, Virginia Tech, Washington St, Wyoming

Big 5 Conference Schools with 0 Sweet 16 Appearances:
ACC - SMU
B1G - Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)
XII - Central Florida, Colorado, TCU

------------------------------------------------------------

Observations:
- The gap between the Big 5 and the Middle 4 (A10, AAC, MWC, WCC) is massive.
- I am presuming the gap between the Big East and the other Big 5 conferences is due in part to it having 11 schools and the others having 16+ schools.
- The SBC is the only FBS conference without a current member having a Sweet 16 appearance in this time frame.
- Baylor has the fewest appearances (5) with a national title (2021). The schools this year with as many or fewer appearances without a national title: Clemson (4), Creighton (3), Houston (5), San Diego St (4).
- Anything else?
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 04:33 PM by BePcr07.)
03-25-2024 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
RE: Sweet 16: 1985 - 2024
Some UH History: UH is making its fifth straight S16 appearance. 2nd longest active streak behind the Zags (9) and a program best (previous record was four in a row, 65-68). In the twenty years prior to the dates you selected, UH made 9 S16s and 5 F4s. The program then went 34 years without a S16 appearance. Even still at 16 appearances, we are now tied with Utah for 17th all time. 3rd most for a program that hasn’t won the tourney (ND, KSU are 1st/2nd). Of course only one program can cut down the nets in a given year but every fan base that makes it out of the first weekend should celebrate that accomplishment. After you never know how long it’ll be before you make it back!
03-25-2024 02:53 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Surprising, FSU is in good company. I thought Marquette would have been a bit higher.
03-25-2024 07:21 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 02:53 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  Some UH History: UH is making its fifth straight S16 appearance. 2nd longest active streak behind the Zags (9) and a program best (previous record was four in a row, 65-68). In the twenty years prior to the dates you selected, UH made 9 S16s and 5 F4s. The program then went 34 years without a S16 appearance. Even still at 16 appearances, we are now tied with Utah for 17th all time. 3rd most for a program that hasn’t won the tourney (ND, KSU are 1st/2nd). Of course only one program can cut down the nets in a given year but every fan base that makes it out of the first weekend should celebrate that accomplishment. After you never know how long it’ll be before you make it back!

As a Houston native, I would not be disappointed with a Cougar championship. I was born shortly after Phi Slamma Jamma and my only memory of great Houston basketball was the Rockets in the 90s. I had a personal connection to Kenny Smith around that time which made it more special. I was always aware of the University’s storied history but just wasn’t alive to see it.
03-25-2024 07:41 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 07:21 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Surprising, FSU is in good company. I thought Marquette would have been a bit higher.

Florida State shares their grouping of 5 Sweet 16 appearances with:
- Georgia Tech: 2 Final Fours (1 Runner-Up)
- Marquette: 1 Final Four
- Oklahoma St: 2 Final Fours
- UNLV: 3 Final Fours (1 Championship)
- Utah: 1 Final Four (1 Runner-Up)
- Virginia: 1 Final Four (1 Championship)

The most Sweet 16 appearances without a Final Four appearances brings to Alabama and Xavier with 9.
03-25-2024 07:49 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-25-2024 01:48 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Appearances by Conference (Future Affiliation - incl. Oregon St and Washington St with WCC):
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida
5 - Auburn, Baylor, Butler, Cincinnati, Houston, LSU, Miami (FL), Pittsburgh, Stanford, Temple, Texas Tech
4 - Clemson, Kansas St, Missouri, Notre Dame, San Diego St, Seton Hall, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Washington
3 - Boston College, Creighton, Iowa, Loyola - Chicago, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Providence, St. John's, Texas A&M, Tulsa, USC, Wichita St
2 - California, DePaul, Mississippi St, Nevada, Rhode Island, Richmond, Southern Illinois, St. Joseph's, Western Kentucky
1 - Arizona St, Ball St, Bradley, BYU, Chattanooga, Cleveland St, Cornell, Davidson, Dayton, Eastern Michigan, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, George Washington, Georgia, La Salle, Louisiana Tech, Loyola Marymount, Miami (OH), Milwaukee, Mississippi, Missouri St, Navy, New Mexico St, Northern Iowa, Ohio, Oral Roberts, Oregon St, Penn St, Princeton, South Carolina, St. Mary's, St. Peter's, UAB, UTEP, Valparaiso, VCU, Virginia Tech, Washington St, Wyoming

ACC - SMU
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)

Observations:
- I am presuming the gap between the Big East and the other Big 5 conferences is due in part to it having 11 schools and the others having 16+ schools.
- The SBC is the only FBS conference without a current member having a Sweet 16 appearance in this time frame.
- Baylor has the fewest appearances (5) with a national title (2021). The schools this year with as many or fewer appearances without a national title: Clemson (4), Creighton (3), Houston (5), San Diego St (4).
- Anything else?

For the P5, that's an average of 6.7 appearances per team. If all 5 conferences averaged that number, we would have expected the Big East to have 74 appearances, which is not significantly more than the 69 they actually had. More recently, the Big 12 has improved significantly, while the ACC has declined a bit. Today, we probably would expect all five power conferences to be roughly on a par with each other in this statistic (which may be a better measure of strength than number of bids).

That P5 average is about 5 times greater than the M4, and 56 times greater than all 22 one-bid conferences combined.
03-25-2024 08:39 AM
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
I'd like to see the breakdown from 85-03 before the ACC started raiding the Big East. A listing by % of conference membership would be really interesting too. Comparing an 11 team Big East to a 14-15 team Big 12 / ACC isn't really fair imho.
03-25-2024 10:05 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
So the MAC will have 7 and 90s UMass will account for 3 of them? Pick up WKU and the two new additions would account for 5 of the 9 there.
03-25-2024 10:23 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
That 1976 Final Four was crazy with everyone being from the Big Ten.
03-25-2024 10:35 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-25-2024 01:48 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Appearances by Conference (Future Affiliation - incl. Oregon St and Washington St with WCC):
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida
1 - Arizona St, Ball St, Bradley, BYU, Chattanooga, Cleveland St, Cornell, Davidson, Dayton, Eastern Michigan, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, George Washington, Georgia, La Salle, Louisiana Tech, Loyola Marymount, Miami (OH), Milwaukee, Mississippi, Missouri St, Navy, New Mexico St, Northern Iowa, Ohio, Oral Roberts, Oregon St, Penn St, Princeton, South Carolina, St. Mary's, St. Peter's, UAB, UTEP, Valparaiso, VCU, Virginia Tech, Washington St, Wyoming

ACC - SMU
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)

Observations:
- Anything else?

14 of the 31 conferences have made it to the 2nd weekend more than once and only 18 have done it at all. 8 of the 9 FBS conferences are among the dozen with 5 or more.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 11:24 AM by bullet.)
03-25-2024 11:23 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida

ACC - SMU
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)

Observations:
- Anything else?

I am surprised that Duke has "only" made 27 of 39. They've only lost in Round 1 in 07 and 10 or 11 I believe.
03-25-2024 11:23 AM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida

ACC - SMU
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)

Observations:
- Anything else?

For the 13th time, the ACC puts 4 teams into the Sweet 16!

No other conference has done it more than 5 times.
All other conferences have done it 19 times combined.

Time for the ACC to get paid! If the SEC & Big10 can bully for CFP monies the ACC should and shall get what they are due from March Madness!
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 08:33 PM by GTFletch.)
03-25-2024 11:27 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
For Example:

Based on how many teams they have in the field and the estimated amount of money they are already guaranteed in 2024:

Big 12: 8 bids, $16 million.
SEC: 8 bids, $16 million.
Big Ten: 6 bids, $12 million.
Mountain West: 6 bids, $12 million.
ACC: 5 bids, $10 million.
Pac-12: 4 bids, $8 million.
Big East: 3 bids, $6 million.
American: 2 bids, $4 million.
Atlantic 10: 2 bids, $4 million.
WCC: 2 bids, $4 million.
The remaining 22 conferences are guaranteed $2 million

Well since the ACC is the Biggest and Baddest MBB conf they will get 4M -6M per School (during the extension 2025-2032) while everyone else get 2M and the other 22 confs will get just 1M.

Not official yet, but I know Commish Jim Phillips & BE/XII are laying the gauntlet down with this new Unequal revenue sharing that the P4 started with CFB Playoffs
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 11:51 AM by GTFletch.)
03-25-2024 11:43 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2024 11:43 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  For Example:

Based on how many teams they have in the field and the estimated amount of money they are already guaranteed in 2024:

Big 12: 8 bids, $16 million.
SEC: 8 bids, $16 million.
Big Ten: 6 bids, $12 million.
Mountain West: 6 bids, $12 million.
ACC: 5 bids, $10 million.
Pac-12: 4 bids, $8 million.
Big East: 3 bids, $6 million.
American: 2 bids, $4 million.
Atlantic 10: 2 bids, $4 million.
WCC: 2 bids, $4 million.
The remaining 22 conferences are guaranteed $2 million

Well since the ACC is the Biggest and Baddest MBB conf they will get 4M -6M per School (during the extension 2025-2032) while everyone else get 2M and the other 22 confs will get just 1M.

Not official yet, but I know Commish Jim Phillips & BE/XII are laying the gauntlet down with this new Unequal revenue sharing that the P4 started with CFB Playoffs

Baloney.
03-25-2024 01:14 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
[Image: 1c10b663052cdafb4e66e965ec1302a07ada7717.jpeg]
03-25-2024 02:27 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-25-2024 02:27 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  [Image: 1c10b663052cdafb4e66e965ec1302a07ada7717.jpeg]

Illinois is tied for 8th 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 02:36 PM by dbackjon.)
03-25-2024 02:36 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

Taking the most recent 10 NCAA tournaments, rather than the 39 in the OP, the number of S16 appearances s look like this:

34 ACC
33 B1G
30 B12
25 SEC
16 BE

10 WCC
4 MWC
2 A10
2 AAC

4 All others combined

These numbers mostly affirm and even amplify the conclusions in the OP. If Gonzaga, which accounts for 9 of the 10 Sweet Sixteen appearances by the WCC, were to join the Big East, the gulf between the P5 and all 26 other conferences (not just an M4) is simply overwhelming. The P5 would have 147 S16s compared with only 13 from the 26.
03-25-2024 04:03 PM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
The MW didn't exist between 1985-1998. Best way to get at this is to calculate per capita S16 appearances by year over the last ten years. Otherwise there is no perspective taken into account, like total count of bids.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 04:22 PM by AztecEmpire.)
03-25-2024 04:22 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 04:22 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  The MW didn't exist between 1985-1998. Best way to get at this is to calculate per capita S16 appearances by year over the last ten years. Otherwise there is no perspective taken into account, like total count of bids.

Obviously, it didn't exist. Unless you spend hours and hours trying to come up with a more correct formulaic way to create these numbers, this is the option I went with.
03-25-2024 04:25 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
140 - ACC
123 - B1G
104 - SEC
95 - XII
69 - Big East
20 - AAC
18 - WCC
15 - A10
13 - MWC
7 - MAC
6 - MVC
5 - CUSA
2 - Horizon, Ivy

Appearances by School:
27 - Duke
25 - North Carolina
23 - Kansas, Kentucky
19 - Arizona
17 - Michigan St, UCLA
14 - Gonzaga, Louisville
12 - Michigan, Purdue
11 - Florida

ACC - SMU
Big East - (none)
SEC - (none)

Observations:
- Anything else?

Great job.

Is FAU missing or am I overlooking?
03-25-2024 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.