Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No Reason for ND to leave ACC! ACC Lives on!
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
No Reason for ND to leave ACC! ACC Lives on!
Many ACC Apocalypse theories depend on the league losing FSU, Clemson, AND Notre Dame... but why would the Irish leave when they have everything they want now, PLUS a measure of independence?

Notre Dame TV Deal:
Notre Dame and Comcast NBCUniversal announced a new TV deal running through 2029. Notre Dame is expected to receive around $50 million per year from NBC, in addition to the $17 million it receives from the ACC. Notre Dame's total compensation is slightly less than what members of the Big Ten would receive.

50M from NBC
17M from ACC ( ACCN plus pro rata from ESPN TV deal)
13M from CFP ( starting in 2026)

Source: https://www.ndsmcobserver.com/article/20...rough-2029

Why this matters to ACC school fans
The alleged "break-up" of the ACC is supposed to be caused by the loss of its top tv ratings generators: Florida State, then Clemson, then Notre Dame. Without those to shore up the tv numbers, the theory goes, ESPN will not renew the ACC's contract past 2027, which will cause the rest of the conference to go seeking revenue elsewhere.

However, what if the Irish intend to stick around? The money will be the same for them as it would be in the Big Ten, and they get to remain pseudo-independent (at least they control 7 games/year).

Now ESPN must decide not only if the ACC is worth it (hint: it is), but also do they want to drive Notre Dame away and into the waiting arms of the Big Ten and Fox? That changes the calculus.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2024 06:01 AM by GTFletch.)
03-22-2024 05:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
RE: No Reason for ND to leave ACC! ACC Lives on!
03-22-2024 06:00 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
All ACC schools know better by now than to 'look to ESPN for help.' 03-rotfl

Notre Dame excels at maintaining football independence through triangulation. As long as two networks or two conferences exist that the Irish can play off each other, they should be able to hold their position indefinitely.

I'll believe ND is all-in on conference membership somewhere when ND announces it, and not a day sooner.

Which is fine. It's actually a healthy thing when schools can call their own shots, make their own destinies.
03-22-2024 07:43 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

It's kind of a strawman argument, I have not heard anyone say that ND would attempt to get out just because FSU and Clemson are gone. ND still get's paid the same just like the current ACC would supposedly get paid the same as long as they have 15 members. It's the greedy and vindictive remaining members who want to put the screws to anyone trying to seek a better life for themselves.
03-22-2024 08:00 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-22-2024 08:00 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It's kind of a strawman argument, I have not heard anyone say that ND would attempt to get out just because FSU and Clemson are gone. ND still get's paid the same just like the current ACC would supposedly get paid the same as long as they have 15 members. It's the greedy and vindictive remaining members who want to put the screws to anyone trying to seek a better life for themselves.

Did you miss the one where ND publicly pushed for Stanford and Cal?

Sounds to me like the Irish want the ACC to remain a viable home for their Olympic sports. The Irish also publicly complained about sending teams to Tally. You think they would care to stop sending teams to Clemson, SC?

Seems to me things are trending up for the Irish where they are. I wouldn’t be surprised if they publicly push for South Florida and UConn.
03-22-2024 08:32 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2024 08:32 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(03-22-2024 08:00 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It's kind of a strawman argument, I have not heard anyone say that ND would attempt to get out just because FSU and Clemson are gone. ND still get's paid the same just like the current ACC would supposedly get paid the same as long as they have 15 members. It's the greedy and vindictive remaining members who want to put the screws to anyone trying to seek a better life for themselves.

Did you miss the one where ND publicly pushed for Stanford and Cal?

Sounds to me like the Irish want the ACC to remain a viable home for their Olympic sports. The Irish also publicly complained about sending teams to Tally. You think they would care to stop sending teams to Clemson, SC?

Seems to me things are trending up for the Irish where they are. I wouldn’t be surprised if they publicly push for South Florida and UConn.

Are you arguing with me or agreeing?

Let me make this clearer, I have not heard anyone make a case for ND leaving over FSU and/or Clemson. I can not think of any reason that would be the pin in the party pig.
03-22-2024 09:07 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
In the past six months or so, ND had a To Do list and has negotiated the following:

--New, lucrative NBC TV deal---Check ($50-60 million per year)

--Richest apparel deal ever---Check (old Under Armour deal was $9.5 million a year, this one tops in the industry)

--Playoff access expansion--Check (more at large bids available, ND still treated as a conference of one by the CFP)

--P2 level playoff money ----Check ($12.5 million always plus $6 million bonus for making it, has a spot if in Top 14 of CFP rankings)

--ACC expansion/ESPN comp clause---Check (takes care of $17.4 million from ACC plus takes care of other sports)

So, that is $86 million a year (minimum) from NBC, the ACC/ESPN and the playoffs in years that ND qualifies for a spot.

(all of that without ND football having to join a conference)

ND did all of this heavy lifting this knowing that FSU and Clemson and possibly NC would sue.

(Jack Swarbick put all of this in place before he retired, leaving ND in a very good place. He should get a statue on campus near the stadium)

Yet, people are certain that after putting all of this in place, ND will suddenly surrender football independence........
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2024 11:31 AM by TerryD.)
03-22-2024 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
ND is not leaving the ACC….like the Sky is blue and water is wet?

ND entered into a contract with the ACC and I expect them to honor it till the end of the contract.
03-22-2024 12:37 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

You don't read many Big Ten sites, do you? They are all convinced it will happen!
03-22-2024 02:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2024 02:37 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

You don't read many Big Ten sites, do you? They are all convinced it will happen!

I do listen to a lot of podcast, never heard this argument and a little bit of logic would require a bit more members to leave before it's a consideration.
03-22-2024 02:42 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
It has been said on the main board, on Warchant, on Twitter and on just about every Big Ten site there is.

People are saying it just about everywhere that CR is discussed.

The argument now for hoping ND is forced into the Big Ten is that ND's schedule will be so weak without FSU and Clemson that ND will not make the playoffs and NBC will not want to pay for ND games.

Its the latest Great Hope of "THIS will certainly force ND into a conference" since all of the other ones the past thirty years have gone tits up.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 08:29 AM by TerryD.)
03-23-2024 08:25 AM
OrangemanRich Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse, ACC
(03-23-2024 08:25 AM)TerryD Wrote:  It has been said on the main board, on Warchant, on Twitter and on just about every Big Ten site there is.

The argument now for hoping ND is forced into the Big Ten is that ND's schedule will be so weak without FSU and Clemson that ND will not make the playoffs and NBC will not want to pay for ND games.

Its the latest Great Hope of "THIS will certainly force ND into a conference" since all of the other ones the past thirty years have gone tits up.

Other than this, I’ve difficulty coming up with other compelling reasons for ND to exit.
03-23-2024 12:49 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(03-23-2024 08:25 AM)TerryD Wrote:  It has been said on the main board, on Warchant, on Twitter and on just about every Big Ten site there is.

ND isn’t going to ever give up it unique position in College Athletics … if the Big Ten wanted the Irish they should have done it 100 years ago 07-coffee3
03-24-2024 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.