Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTRGV to Southland
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
UTRGV to Southland

UTRGV to the Southland.

Makes sense, especially now that they'll have football.
03-20-2024 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AstAteMan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: UTRGV to Southland
Curious what the “UAC” will do (as I believe they were originally slated to play football there)
03-20-2024 08:49 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Now with Corpus Christi, who should be a natural rival.

If the WCC loses Gonzaga at any point and goes fishing for replacements, SFA/UTA/ACU/Tarleton will be panicking.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 09:17 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
03-20-2024 09:00 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
I remember that North Texas State was in the Southland when I was a kid, it seemed like a Very Important Conference back then...the move to 1A - 1AA, then FBS FCS hasn't been kind to them, though they seem to keep trucking along and doing pretty well. UTRGV will be a solid addition for them. The valley is booming and UTRGV is a program on the rise.
03-20-2024 09:02 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-20-2024 09:02 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I remember that North Texas State was in the Southland when I was a kid, it seemed like a Very Important Conference back then...the move to 1A - 1AA, then FBS FCS hasn't been kind to them, though they seem to keep trucking along and doing pretty well. UTRGV will be a solid addition for them. The valley is booming and UTRGV is a program on the rise.

That was a geographically tight conference that got broken up by the I-A/I-AA split.
Now:
North Texas-American
Louisiana Tech-CUSA
Arkansas St., UL Monroe, UL Lafayette-Sun Belt
McNeese-Southland
Lamar-back in Southland
UT Arlington-WAC
03-20-2024 09:13 PM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
It gets the Southland up to 11 members with nine playing football. So that benefits them as they can have a full eight game schedule.

It drops the WAC to ten. It leaves them with four in Texas who are all fairly close to each other and sheds the more remote Texas school. That will help everyone on travel.

On the downside it kills their chances (for now) of sponsoring football as just five members field a team so they will have to keep the UAC alliance going and hope the ASUN doesn’t expand on their end.
03-20-2024 09:19 PM
Advertisement

AstAteMan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(03-20-2024 09:19 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  It gets the Southland up to 11 members with nine playing football. So that benefits them as they can have a full eight game schedule.

It drops the WAC to ten. It leaves them with four in Texas who are all fairly close to each other and sheds the more remote Texas school. That will help everyone on travel.

On the downside it kills their chances (for now) of sponsoring football as just five members field a team so they will have to keep the UAC alliance going and hope the ASUN doesn’t expand on their end.

I would think SLC would want to add one more to get to even numbers (would they try to lure one of the former SLC member back like ACU or UCA?)
03-20-2024 09:22 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Perhaps the Summit League could pick up a men's soccer replacement for WIU.
03-20-2024 09:24 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
(03-20-2024 09:19 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  It gets the Southland up to 11 members with nine playing football. So that benefits them as they can have a full eight game schedule.

It’s finally time Angelo State, Central Oklahoma, & West Texas A&M to move up from DII and UTA to restart football. 05-stirthepot

Those 4 + SFA/TSU/ACU/SUU/UTU would give the WAC 9 football members and they can let the ASUN figure out their own football needs. Maybe they can finally add UWF/Valdosta St. to get them to 7 + add 2 affiliates. (The Big South 2 or those 2 that left the NEC) 03-woohoo
03-20-2024 09:30 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I wonder if they could get SFA to comeback to the SLC while theyre at it?
03-20-2024 09:39 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-20-2024 09:02 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I remember that North Texas State was in the Southland when I was a kid, it seemed like a Very Important Conference back then...the move to 1A - 1AA, then FBS FCS hasn't been kind to them, though they seem to keep trucking along and doing pretty well. UTRGV will be a solid addition for them. The valley is booming and UTRGV is a program on the rise.

North Texas has an interesting history. It seems like they wanted to follow Houston's footsteps into the SWC with Hayden Fry as their coach and they even played in Cowboys Stadium. This is before they joined the Southland.
03-20-2024 09:41 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The Texas wing of the WAC is just frittering away to nothing.
03-20-2024 09:48 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(03-20-2024 09:41 PM)esayem Wrote:  

North Texas has an interesting history. It seems like they wanted to follow Houston's footsteps into the SWC with Hayden Fry as their coach and they even played in Cowboys Stadium. This is before they joined the Southland.

I remember that. The school then known as North Texas State had left the Missouri Valley and was playing as an independent. They played home games at Texas Stadium in an attempt to get to big-time college football, which was then played in the SWC. Hayden Fry left for Iowa, and NTSU eventually dropped to what was then I-AA and joined the Southland.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 09:07 AM by johnintx.)
03-20-2024 09:50 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(03-20-2024 09:00 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Now with Corpus Christi, who should be a natural rival.

If the WCC loses Gonzaga at any point and goes fishing for replacements, SFA/UTA/ACU/Tarleton will be panicking.
I wonder if UTA would consider the Summit - the Summit needs warm bodies, although ones that sponsor baseball and soccer are preferable. They're close enough to Oral Roberts to serve as a travel partner.

SFA and Tarleton would likely try to go to C-USA. ACU probably returns to the Southland.

Not sure what options Utah Valley has if the WAC collapses. The Southern Utah/Utah Tech/Grand Canyon/Cal Baptist quad would at least be reasonable if another conference needed members for their own survival, as one flight to Las Vegas would allow for a team to knockout games at two of those four schools.

Even if the WAC keeps Seattle, they probably need to start finding replacements from Division II out west. I just don't see a future for them in Texas.
03-20-2024 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-20-2024 09:50 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(03-20-2024 09:41 PM)esayem Wrote:  

I remember that. The school then known as North Texas State had left the Missouri Valley and were playing as an independent. They played home games at Texas Stadium in an attempt to get to big-time college football, which was then played in the SWC. Hayden Fry left for Iowa, and NTSU eventually dropped to what was then I-AA and joined the Southland.

Darrell Royal, then AD at Texas talked favorably of adding North Texas to the SWC.
Darrell was one of the greatest coaches and would probably be up near or over 300 wins if he didn't retire at 55. But he wasn't a businessman. He couldn't see the SWC was already an anachronism.
03-20-2024 10:03 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(03-20-2024 09:41 PM)esayem Wrote:  North Texas has an interesting history. It seems like they wanted to follow Houston's footsteps into the SWC with Hayden Fry as their coach and they even played in Cowboys Stadium. This is before they joined the Southland.

Then known as North Texas State, the Eagles did play at Texas Stadium (not Cowboys Stadium, the placeholder name for Jerry World before AT&T) with hopes of additional SWC expansion that never came. Ironically, as they moved back on campus to play in I-AA, SMU moved from the Cotton Bowl to Texas Stadium, averaging almost 50,000 a game in 1978 and 1979.
03-20-2024 10:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(03-20-2024 08:49 PM)AstAteMan Wrote:  Curious what the “UAC” will do (as I believe they were originally slated to play football there)

UAC still has 9 with the addition if West Georgia starting 24.
03-20-2024 10:13 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
The whole WAC/ASun/Southland saga has been weird. The WAC/ASun/UAC is probably a slightly better conference on the whole, with more ambitious teams, but you've had teams like Lamar bounce back and forth between the two, UIW flirt with the WAC but stay in the Southland, and now this move.
03-20-2024 10:25 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I think it fits UTRGV. Gives them more close rivals and limits their travel to California/Washington/Utah. Might have burned some bridges though since I would wager the WAC was depending on them to be able to ditch the UAC thing and just make WAC football.
03-20-2024 10:45 PM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
The WAC is FAR ABOVE the ASUN and especially Southland. just look at the conference NET RANKINGS WAC #14 ( WAS 12) ASUN #26 Southland #27 RGV like Lamar could not be competitive in the WAC and joined a league that would give them a chance to be competitive. NO WAY ACU or SFA would rejoin the Southland.
03-20-2024 10:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.