Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bad announcing habits
Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Bad announcing habits
Perhaps I am being too critical, but…

I don’t like non basketball terms being used by announcers. A long down court pass leading to a quick basket is not a pick six. That’s the example that lead me here. I’ve heard announcers use it twice in the same game so far. Please stop!

Also, more than a quick mention of someone sitting in the stands is too much. Even if they are famous. Even if they are connected to the school playing. There is a game going on. Talk about it. Talk about the players. The score, the stats, anything game related. But outside people aren’t the reason for the broadcast, the game is.

And its sort of disrespectful to use airtime on things other than the people playing. I don’t want to hear how the play was like some NBA play for last week, especially while adding that it wasn’t actually as good, just similar. Good grief.

Continually comparing the people playing to players in other sports, bad as well.

The old standard one is not knowing the teams or players at all. Can’t get the players names right etc. I’m not sure why they can’t just use a local guy who actually knows the people playing and has followed them all season. Someone who has never heard of anyone involved is usually pretty obvious. I have rarely heard any local broadcaster be a homer or call it poorly. I think most do a really good job and are real pros. In conference play, you hear all kinds of announcers and even if you know they are “the voice of whichever team,” they call the games well, and mostly evenly. Why not just use them?

This time of year, they seem to really pull out some doozies who aren’t that talented IMO.

It’s as if EPSN has an entire stable full of nasally East Coasters waiting all year to fly around the country to call games between schools they know nothing about.

Anyone else irked by some of these (or other things) that announcers do?
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 09:54 AM by Todor.)
03-19-2024 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Bad announcing habits
(03-19-2024 09:49 PM)Todor Wrote:  It’s as if ESPN has an entire stable full of nasally East Coasters waiting all year to fly around the country this time of year and appear to be clueless and inept.

https://newhouse.syracuse.edu/
03-19-2024 10:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Online
Heisman

(03-19-2024 10:04 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(03-19-2024 09:49 PM)Todor Wrote:  It’s as if ESPN has an entire stable full of nasally East Coasters waiting all year to fly around the country this time of year and appear to be clueless and inept.

Yep. It’s a shallow pool.
03-19-2024 10:42 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
ESPN is all style over substance now. Much like any other media now days, they do not report but rather dictate to you what you are going to know.

It's not the Lakers v. the Warriors anymore. It's Lebron v Steph.

Idiot Mike Greenberg talks 50% Cowboys and 50% everything else on his show.

They interject identity politics whenever they can.

Curt Gowdy where have you gone???
03-20-2024 06:26 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
The broadcasters are trying to appear cute, humorous, and clever. Showing famous, attractive, comical people in the stands or sidelines, are efforts to appeal to casual viewers with intent to generate side conversations to enhance ratings.

Very one-side games, particularly late, lead to more off-game dialogue. Those are efforts to keep the viewers tuned-in and not change channels.

The proliferation of commercials are getting more extreme. At points, I just flip channels or walk away, particularly if the game itself gets boring.
03-20-2024 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(03-19-2024 10:42 PM)Todor Wrote:  

Syracuse and Fordham dominate this space.
03-21-2024 02:30 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(03-20-2024 06:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  ESPN is all style over substance now. Much like any other media now days, they do not report but rather dictate to you what you are going to know.

It's not the Lakers v. the Warriors anymore. It's Lebron v Steph.

Idiot Mike Greenberg talks 50% Cowboys and 50% everything else on his show.

They interject identity politics whenever they can.

Curt Gowdy where have you gone???

America, where have you gone?
03-21-2024 02:35 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Bear: like it or not, the Cowboys are the most popular NFL franchise.
03-21-2024 04:02 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-21-2024 02:30 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(03-19-2024 10:42 PM)Todor Wrote:  

Syracuse and Fordham dominate this space.

Fordham? Sure they've had some guys...a few even famous but I don't think of them in the Top 2.

BTW, Cuse guys aren't usually the ones butchering broadcasts
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 07:52 PM by TexanMark.)
03-21-2024 07:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Online
Heisman

Yale/Auburn. Timeout called to “ice the kicker” before a free throw. SMH.
03-22-2024 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.