Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

March Monday's Musings Winter Break edition
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
March Monday's Musings Winter Break edition
Winter is back as snow flakes fly at green oaks, covering up the green beer spilled on cross street. Akron taking advantage of a mistake (with similar odds to getting stuck by lightning) Zips into the NCAA tournament as the only bid for the conference as a 14 seed.
Year 3 of the Heath era ended with some excitement but another season without a trip to Cleveland. The team disjointed early in conference play, appeared to get better as the season went on. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the team gets to Cleveland or its time to buyout the last season of Coach's contract.
In 1998 the Eagles were a sexy pick to upset the Spartans, They did not. Since then Tom Izzo has never missed the tournament at MSU and EMU has never made it, we yearn for past glory but it appears to be the Loch Ness Monster. In comparison with the other Non P-5 teams in the state.
Detroit Mercy 2012
WMU 2014
Oakland this year (2011 last time)
CMU 2003.
I think the expectations of making it to Cleveland 8-10 years and a MAC finals appearance every year should be the new target. I am not sure how to get there as the quality of basketball in the state of Michigan at the high school level is declining exponentially.
Finally, I believe the fan experience has improved with the different promotions and the marketing team should continue to try to get local youth teams at games as much as possible. The students will return like a phoenix if we begin to win.
03-18-2024 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

RE: March Monday's Musings Winter Break edition
Good post, FFPP! But may I ask you to restate the “new targets”? It was not clear, and I am almost certain you did not actually expect to make the MAC finals every year
03-18-2024 05:06 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I think we can hope that the eagles get to the MAC tournament final once a decade.
03-18-2024 05:21 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-18-2024 04:11 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Winter is back as snow flakes fly at green oaks, covering up the green beer spilled on cross street. Akron taking advantage of a mistake (with similar odds to getting stuck by lightning) Zips into the NCAA tournament as the only bid for the conference as a 14 seed.
Year 3 of the Heath era ended with some excitement but another season without a trip to Cleveland. The team disjointed early in conference play, appeared to get better as the season went on. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the team gets to Cleveland or its time to buyout the last season of Coach's contract.
In 1998 the Eagles were a sexy pick to upset the Spartans, They did not. Since then Tom Izzo has never missed the tournament at MSU and EMU has never made it, we yearn for past glory but it appears to be the Loch Ness Monster. In comparison with the other Non P-5 teams in the state.
Detroit Mercy 2012
WMU 2014
CMU 2003.
I think the expectations of making it to Cleveland 8-10 years and a MAC finals appearance every year should be the new target. I am not sure how to get there as the quality of basketball in the state of Michigan at the high school level is declining exponentially.
Finally, I believe the fan experience has improved with the different promotions and the marketing team should continue to try to get local youth teams at games as much as possible. The students will return like a phoenix if we begin to win.

I read your post.

I suggest we hire Izzo. Problem solved. 03-lmfao
03-18-2024 05:23 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 04:11 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Winter is back as snow flakes fly at green oaks, covering up the green beer spilled on cross street. Akron taking advantage of a mistake (with similar odds to getting stuck by lightning) Zips into the NCAA tournament as the only bid for the conference as a 14 seed.
Detroit Mercy 2012
WMU 2014
CMU 2003.
Wait a cotton pickin' second! You said that the Spartans weren't getting in this season! You were pretty sure about it.
03-19-2024 07:04 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Bob,
I don't think Michigan State should have gotten into the tournament, and beyond that, they should not be a nine seed, maybe eleven.
03-19-2024 09:26 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Found this March championship game from 1992.

https://youtu.be/y7W6aH9fEDM?si=CLKslZS1kr29SSzL992
03-19-2024 04:09 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2024 09:26 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Bob,
I don't think Michigan State should have gotten into the tournament, and beyond that, they should not be a nine seed, maybe eleven.
They probably deserved a 10 seed and they would have been better off with it. That said, the consensus was that they were comfortably in the tournament, to say otherwise is a moot point. You should probably get behind them, there was not a lot of good basketball played in the state this season. The overall record of our DI teams has got to be the worst in history.
03-19-2024 10:24 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

MAC should go for a tougher OOC schedule.
https://youtu.be/uIorWQnAOuM?si=S67U9QQfVR2dk35U
03-20-2024 10:21 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-19-2024 10:24 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
They probably deserved a 10 seed and they would have been better off with it. That said, the consensus was that they were comfortably in the tournament, to say otherwise is a moot point. You should probably get behind them, there was not a lot of good basketball played in the state this season. The overall record of our DI teams has got to be the worst in history.

I personally am no fan of Izzo, but he plays a tough OOC schedule every year, his teams are not shocked when they see a different brand of BB outside the norm of the B1G. Thus, they usually rep the Midwest well in the tourney.

Bob you are correct about Michigan D1 roundball. Juwuan crashed and burned U-M. Stan is doing the Boone, Ramsay thing. WMU was not very good. CMU had a miracle record season, thanks to winning a bunch of closies but were exposed in the MAC tourney. Detroit was well DOA, when the coach's kid graduated.

Oakland, however, did have a very good season. What a gift Kampe has been to them.
03-20-2024 04:49 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2024 04:49 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(03-19-2024 10:24 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

I personally am no fan of Izzo, but he plays a tough OOC schedule every year, his teams are not shocked when they see a different brand of BB outside the norm of the B1G. Thus, they usually rep the Midwest well in the tourney.

Bob you are correct about Michigan D1 roundball. Juwuan crashed and burned U-M. Stan is doing the Boone, Ramsay thing. WMU was not very good. CMU had a miracle record season, thanks to winning a bunch of closies but were exposed in the MAC tourney. Detroit was well DOA, when the coach's kid graduated.

Oakland, however, did have a very good season. What a gift Kampe has been to them.
Yup, agree. It's funny, I have MSU going to the Final 4 in my bracket. I think they can beat UNC. It just feels like Izzo's teams are just made for this. We shall see...Akron hanging tough with Creighton, I'd love to see them pull the upset!!!
03-21-2024 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Akron just illustrated how wounded the MAC is now. Creighton, which is a glorified mid-major, easily beat our far and away best team. This is not a good sign, folks.
03-21-2024 03:57 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(03-21-2024 03:57 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Akron just illustrated how wounded the MAC is now. Creighton, which is a glorified mid-major, easily beat our far and away best team. This is not a good sign, folks.

Historically, Creighton was in the MVC which is a leading mid-major conference. They are currently in the Big East and had a NET ranking of #11. This was not actually that disastrous of a loss… but to be clear, I am not arguing against your overall point that the MAC was down this year, and might be more to come.
03-21-2024 04:06 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2024 04:06 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(03-21-2024 03:57 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Akron just illustrated how wounded the MAC is now. Creighton, which is a glorified mid-major, easily beat our far and away best team. This is not a good sign, folks.

Historically, Creighton was in the MVC which is a leading mid-major conference. They are currently in the Big East and had a NET ranking of #11. This was not actually that disastrous of a loss… but to be clear, I am not arguing against your overall point that the MAC was down this year, and might be more to come.
Yeah, very familiar with Creighton. MVC power for many years and a really solid program but the best of the MAC should be able to compete with them and we did for a half. I am disappointed.
03-21-2024 04:09 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-21-2024 04:06 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

You guys are spot on, MAC BB sucked this year, Oakland probably wins the conference.

Akron was a very talented team, they amazed me at the Gervin early in the season. Then something happened. They finished the regular MAC season with a 2-4 record, got beat by powerhouses EMU and WMU, and honestly only won the tourney with nail-biters against weak competition.
03-21-2024 05:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

As I have posted before,I think Oakland's basketball success has come out of the hide of EMU and UDM.

It appears that Oakland super-hero, Jack Gohlke are is a grad transfer from Hillsdale.

But Oakland is famous for their sharpshooter 3-point wings.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2024 06:26 AM by emu steve.)
03-22-2024 06:04 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2024 06:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  As I have posted before,I think Oakland's basketball success has come out of the hide of EMU and UDM.
Apparently Jack Gohlke is a Hillsdale transfer? Yes he looks to be about 45 out there but he has one thing on his mind, shooting threes! Every team needs a Jack Gohlke. A guy who does one thing really well and that is shoot the three. We used to have that player: Brad Soucie. I am really happy for Greg Kampe and Oakland, that was a beautiful performance!!!
03-22-2024 06:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-22-2024 06:24 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(03-22-2024 06:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  As I have posted before,I think Oakland's basketball success has come out of the hide of EMU and UDM.
Apparently Jack Gohlke is a Hillsdale transfer? Yes he looks to be about 45 out there but he has one thing on his mind, shooting threes! Every team needs a Jack Gohlke. A guy who does one thing really well and that is shoot the three. We used to have that player: Brad Soucie. I am really happy for Greg Kampe and Oakland, that was a beautiful performance!!!

https://goldengrizzlies.com/sports/mens-...ohlke/9980
03-22-2024 06:28 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Okay, I'll take the bait:

Looks like he should be playing in some YMCA league but shoots like he should be in the NBA.
03-22-2024 07:06 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2024 07:06 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Okay, I'll take the bait:

Looks like he should be playing in some YMCA league but shoots like he should be in the NBA.
He looks likes a second year professor playing in his school's intramural tournament and raining threes on the student body.
03-22-2024 07:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.