UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Eric Gaines
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Eric Gaines
I've been as hard on EG as anyone (except for maybe Answer, lol) but I just wanted to say his play over the last third of the season and during the conference tournament has been a joy to watch. We've always known he is a super athletically talented dude, but he's finally been able to harness the talent and maximize it. I really think he is the most important guy on the court. When he's on our team is soooo much better, and he's been mostly on lately, especially in the games that matter.

It also seems he's stepped up to be a leader on this team. It was very noticeable during the USF game when things were getting a little tense. I'll admit, I didn't think he had that in him but I'm glad I was proved wrong. Very proud of the player EG has turned into and I'm so happy he's able to lead his team into the NCAA tournament.
03-18-2024 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Eric Gaines
I've been a Gaines fan from the start, even of the cheesy foundation someone in UAB Media made him do (which has since been re-skinned as the "Yax to the Max Foundation," but is exactly the same template down to the videos and awkward TV interview).

He's elevated his play to transcendent levels. He now hits pressure free-throws. He even showed emotion against the Tampons, chewing on Davis for getting the stupid tech/5th foul.

He took over the SMU game, which in essence was our first-round tournament game (since it secured the double-bye; lose and we play four games). That game was lost, until Eric Gaines decided it was not.

And the ball-spinning bumper shots for the ESPN coverage was great.

This is fun. We have great stories on this team, but Eric Gaines is the straw that stirs the drink. Someone needs to name a candy bar for him, or possibly a breed of dog.
03-18-2024 09:10 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
He’s grown so much as a player. It’s been very impressive to see. Maybe more growth from him than I’ve seen from any individual player at UAB.
03-18-2024 10:13 AM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
Some of the praise should go to EG’s teammates that have learned to watch out for spectacular passes zipping through tiny lanes
03-18-2024 10:13 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The team's growth in understanding how to play together is so noticeable and cannot be understated. Some of it is subtle, some of it not-so-subtle. But little things such as hand placement, angles, footwork, communication are soooooo much better on both ends of the floor. A lot of that starts with Eric.
03-18-2024 10:50 AM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

This is the official "group hug" thread.
03-18-2024 11:02 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
This team was always going to go as far as EG took us. As good as a lot of the other guys are, without EG, we aren't winning much. He is the PG for this team, whether the fit is natural or not. When he leaves the court, it is very noticeable that simply getting the ball up the court becomes a bit of a chore. I'm glad we saw the best version of EG over the weekend, and I hope we see that again this week.
03-18-2024 11:49 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(03-18-2024 11:49 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  This team was always going to go as far as EG took us. As good as a lot of the other guys are, without EG, we aren't winning much. He is the PG for this team, whether the fit is natural or not. When he leaves the court, it is very noticeable that simply getting the ball up the court becomes a bit of a chore. I'm glad we saw the best version of EG over the weekend, and I hope we see that again this week.

+1 All very true.
03-18-2024 11:52 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The only thing I feel like I have to add is this:
Sometimes shots just don’t go in. Let’s not go back to crucifying him when he has a game where the shots don’t fall.

Our next game is against the best defensive team we have played since Houston the last time we were in the NCAA tournament. They have a bunch of athletic 6-7ish guys who are hard to drive against and get their long arms in passing lanes. EG isn’t going to have as many open shots as he had last week. The passes are going to be more difficult and turnovers will go up. I hope all can keep that in mind and refrain from passing judgement.
03-18-2024 12:01 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(03-18-2024 12:01 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The only thing I feel like I have to add is this:
Sometimes shots just don’t go in. Let’s not go back to crucifying him when he has a game where the shots don’t fall.

Our next game is against the best defensive team we have played since Houston the last time we were in the NCAA tournament. They have a bunch of athletic 6-7ish guys who are hard to drive against and get their long arms in passing lanes. EG isn’t going to have as many open shots as he had last week. The passes are going to be more difficult and turnovers will go up. I hope all can keep that in mind and refrain from passing judgement.

EG can be a difference maker without shooting the ball. He's at his best when he's finding opening lanes for easy buckets. If EG scores 8 points with 10 assists and 4 steals he's done his job. He doesn't have to score to be a difference maker.
03-18-2024 12:06 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2024 12:01 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The only thing I feel like I have to add is this:

As long as he takes good quality shots, I am not going to dog him ever again.

He's mostly done that the last quarter or more of the season.

His transformation from what he was when he came to UAB, to where he is now, is damn near astonishing. Yes, this is coming from who most think is his biggest critic.

His career at UAB started out damn near terrible. Turnover machine. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his jumper. Jumped in the air with no idea what to do with the ball like the pass button was broke on his PlayStation controller. Was terrible in clutch moments. Had awful body language. Took terrible shots. Got beat one on one on defense like a drum. Was out muscled and beat up by bigger players. Basically, almost every time there was an option to do something on the court, the original EG pushed the "make the wrong play" button.

Fast forward a year and a half, and it's like I'm not watching the same player. He's corrected, or drastically improved, nearly every deficiency in his game. No, he is still not a natural jumper shooter, but he has improved the quality of his shots. His percentages lately have subsequently improved. He's gotten better at everything else too.

Maybe EG was poorly coached all along. He came in trying to be a high volume, shoot first, turnover-prone, position-less tweener guard.

He's morphed into a savvy, composed, efficient, smart decision making, floor general. He's looked like a natural point guard lately. Maybe whoever was coaching him to be the previous version of himself was doing him a disservice, or maybe he wasn't open to coaching back then... Who knows? But the transformation is real, and I am the first to admit it. AK talks about "best version of self," and I think we've seen that from EG lately.

He CAN score, but he is the rare player who could score 0 points and still affect the game in so many ways. This version of EG I could see pushing to get a shot in the NBA.

Anyways, hats off to you EG. I talked a lot of noise about you. Regardless of whether I thought it was factually correct or not, you proved me wrong and it's been a heck of a ride this season lol..
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:40 PM by The Answer UAB.)
03-18-2024 12:38 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Does this mean we now want him to return next season? LOL
03-18-2024 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2024 12:39 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Does this mean we now want him to return next season? LOL

I WANT THAT DUDE ON THE TEAM NEXT YEAR.

KUMBAYA MFERS LETS GOOOOOOOOO

SKEEE YEEEEEE
03-18-2024 12:41 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
LOL
03-18-2024 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

Pretty weird AK saying that “our next loss is the last time this group will be together”. We lose one guy to eligibility expiration

As if he already knows plans of many on the team. First and foremost, I expect Gaines to declare again and hope for a combine invite like Haha. What happens if that don’t happen, I don’t know.

Like Darion and Jimmy said, “if his shot ain’t falling, he’s finding other ways to contribute(massively)”

I think he’s developed a lot and mostly in his decision making. That’s pretty much all his early flaws were. He’s cleaned up the fouls. He doesn’t force it or feel like he needs to be THE GUY. The turnovers have came down and his assists have went up.

The way guys in the college hoops media talk about Yax, is like they are expecting him to declare too. Hes still raw in the offensive post and I think there’s some fine-tuning he can do here. Jelly was making more in NIL at UAB than he was in the G-League. Something to consider, when you have the opportunity to come back or transfer.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 01:08 PM by UABFAN23.)
03-18-2024 01:05 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Seem to recall him saying that every season.
03-18-2024 01:36 PM
Advertisement

BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I’m 95% sure Gaines is gone at the end of the season and 80% sure Yax is as well. I think it’s the right choice for both. Hope I’m wrong and they are both back though.
03-18-2024 01:55 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't see why so many people are predicting Yax is gone.

Not that this matters in march, but I just looked at 3 different NBA mock drafts, and none of them included Yax. One didn't include Yax in the top 120 players in the draft pool.

He is really dang good. He is still super raw. If he worked on his game and dominated next season, I think he could move into possible first round territory. He's just not there yet IMO.
03-18-2024 02:03 PM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

Feels like the Yax is gone talk is to a P6 more so than the pros.
03-18-2024 02:15 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The best description I think I have ever heard of a player was whoever it was who said in one of the postgame press conferences that Yax was a "baby tyrannosaur" learning what he is. Made me laugh but dang if that isn't spot on. Yax is learning what he is and what he can be.
03-18-2024 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.