Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago State receives CBI bid
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Chicago State receives CBI bid
After posting a 3-2 record versus teams in the NCAA Tournament, having a Quad 1 win, beating a top 25 team, and having their best record in a decade, the nations lone Independent received their first post season bid since 2013. They are the 15 seed and will face 2nd seeded UC San Diego.

I know there are people who hate these lower tournaments, and that they are pay to play etc, but I’m sure these guys are happy to be playing and I am happy they get the chance, since they didn’t have a conference tournament or a whole lot to play for this season.

The CBI is hosted all at one site in Daytona Beach. Chicago State also happens to have an almost all Florida roster. When it came down to it, no doubt the fact that they would likely bring more fans than most other programs came into play. Nice when something works out though.

Volleyball also received a post season tournament bid this year, as the Cougars prepare for NEC Conference play beginning next season.

Despite the impression some people have, there are some good things happening at Chicago State.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:45 AM by Todor.)
03-18-2024 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Chicago State receives CBI bid
The future has never been brighter for Chicago State basketball. If the team stays together, not only will CSU be the NEC favorite next year, there’s a good possibility the Jones Convocation Center will host the NEC Championship with an NCAA Tournament bid on the line on ESPN2.
03-18-2024 01:11 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 01:11 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The future has never been brighter for Chicago State basketball. If the team stays together, not only will CSU be the NEC favorite next year, there’s a good possibility the Jones Convocation Center will host the NEC Championship with an NCAA Tournament bid on the line on ESPN2.

If Chicago State can win their first round game, things could get interesting because Chicago State has already played 3 other teams in this years CBI field.

With teams from the Missouri Valley, WAC, Sunbelt, Big West, Ohio Valley, Big Sky, Horizon, and others, it’s a good field. Lots of variety and a lot of styles of play among the teams.
03-18-2024 01:35 AM
Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Mid Majors
(03-18-2024 01:35 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 01:11 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The future has never been brighter for Chicago State basketball. If the team stays together, not only will CSU be the NEC favorite next year, there’s a good possibility the Jones Convocation Center will host the NEC Championship with an NCAA Tournament bid on the line on ESPN2.

If Chicago State can win their first round game, things could get interesting because Chicago State has already played 3 other teams in this years CBI field.

They have been given a tough match-up against a very solid UC-San Diego team that finished 2nd in the Big West but great to see Chicago St continue their season anyway. Arguably the best game of the first round along with Fairfield v Little Rock.
03-18-2024 02:03 AM
TexasTerror Online
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(03-18-2024 01:35 AM)Todor Wrote:  With teams from the Missouri Valley, WAC, Sunbelt, Big West, Ohio Valley, Big Sky, Horizon, and others, it’s a good field. Lots of variety and a lot of styles of play among the teams.

Good field? Have you taken the time to review the teams?

Chicago State is one of what - four or five teams with sub .500 records competing in the tournament?

The CIT has an 11-22 program in the field so the CBI isn’t alone in the ludicrously crazy second tier tournaments
03-18-2024 05:34 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Ironically there is no #16 seed! High Point got a bye to the 2nd round! What, they couldn't find a 16th team?
03-18-2024 05:36 AM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 05:34 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 01:35 AM)Todor Wrote:  With teams from the Missouri Valley, WAC, Sunbelt, Big West, Ohio Valley, Big Sky, Horizon, and others, it’s a good field. Lots of variety and a lot of styles of play among the teams.

Good field? Have you taken the time to review the teams?

Chicago State is one of what - four or five teams with sub .500 records competing in the tournament?

The CIT has an 11-22 program in the field so the CBI isn’t alone in the ludicrously crazy second tier tournaments

There are a lot of good teams in it. Multiple teams have 24+ wins. Sorry that isn’t up to the Sam Houston standard.

I would recommend that you don’t watch it then. I notice you deemed it worth commenting on, however. Not sure why you are even following teams that you think are so bad.

Not all teams can make the NCAA or NIT. But I guess as a Sam Houston fan, you are already painfully aware of this fact lol.

Good luck in your postseason. What exactly is that again?
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 06:02 AM by Todor.)
03-18-2024 06:00 AM
TexasTerror Online
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(03-18-2024 05:36 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Ironically there is no #16 seed! High Point got a bye to the 2nd round! What, they couldn't find a 16th team?

Neither the CBI or CIT were able to fill their fields.

CBI did not get a 16th team and filled a third of their tournament with sub .500 squads. The CIT aimed for 16 and has announced 9 programs with a 10th to be announced today apparently. The CIT has an 11-22 program within their 9 programs

(03-18-2024 06:00 AM)Todor Wrote:  There are a lot of good teams in it. Multiple teams have 24+ wins. Sorry that isn’t up to the Sam Houston standard.

I would recommend that you don’t watch it then. I notice you deemed it worth commenting on, however. Not sure why you are even following teams that you think are so bad.

Not all teams can make the NCAA or NIT. But I guess as a Sam Houston fan, you are already painfully aware of this fact lol.

I did not have smack intended in my post.

I am frustrated that the NIT changed their format which excluded about 9 or 10 mid major or low major league champions. I am also not surprised but curious how the impacts of the portal, NIT change is impacting the non NCAA tournaments. Clearly we saw multiple invites declined for NIT but also CBI/CiT which both had to reach deep into their bag of tricks just to fill their fields (but not even). The deep impacts made by “all the above” go even deeper than we all imagined.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 06:21 AM by TexasTerror.)
03-18-2024 06:17 AM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-18-2024 05:36 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Ironically there is no #16 seed! High Point got a bye to the 2nd round! What, they couldn't find a 16th team?

Tom Crean is outraged!
03-18-2024 07:28 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 06:17 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

Neither the CBI or CIT were able to fill their fields.

CBI did not get a 16th team and filled a third of their tournament with sub .500 squads. The CIT aimed for 16 and has announced 9 programs with a 10th to be announced today apparently. The CIT has an 11-22 program within their 9 programs

(03-18-2024 06:00 AM)Todor Wrote:  There are a lot of good teams in it. Multiple teams have 24+ wins. Sorry that isn’t up to the Sam Houston standard.

I did not have smack intended in my post.

I am frustrated that the NIT changed their format which excluded about 9 or 10 mid major or low major league champions. I am also not surprised but curious how the impacts of the portal, NIT change is impacting the non NCAA tournaments. Clearly we saw multiple invites declined for NIT but also CBI/CiT which both had to reach deep into their bag of tricks just to fill their fields (but not even). The deep impacts made by “all the above” go even deeper than we all imagined.

Go dog on people somewhere else. None of that has anything to do with Chicago State or the CBI Tournament.
03-18-2024 07:54 AM
AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UND
Good for Chicago State to have a shot at the CBI title.

9 schools are missing from the NIT though: Central Connecticut, Toledo, Sam Houston St, Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Washington, Quinnipiac, Little Rock, High Point and Norfolk State.
03-18-2024 08:15 AM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Go Chicago State.
03-18-2024 09:20 AM
UIWElite Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UIW
Who is subscribing to FloSports to watch Chicago St and the rest of the CBI?
03-18-2024 10:56 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
I'm sending good vibes your way, Chicago St!
03-18-2024 11:12 AM
tf8693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-18-2024 10:56 AM)UIWElite Wrote:  Who is subscribing to FloSports to watch Chicago St and the rest of the CBI?

Semifinals and finals are on ESPN2, if Chicago State makes it that far.
03-18-2024 11:17 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
I like the idea the CIT had this year, create four pods of four teams, then have the winners of each mini tournament compete for the CIT title.

For example, Tarleton is hosting a pod with three other Texas teams. That seems like it would be better for fan interest, and reduce travel costs.

Obviously it didn't wind up working out, there weren't 16 teams interested in competing, but it wasn't a bad idea.
03-18-2024 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 11:19 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I like the idea the CIT had this year, create four pods of four teams, then have the winners of each mini tournament compete for the CIT title.

For example, Tarleton is hosting a pod with three other Texas teams. That seems like it would be better for fan interest, and reduce travel costs.

Obviously it didn't wind up working out, there weren't 16 teams interested in competing, but it wasn't a bad idea.

The pods are a good idea. Helps interest and attendance. I’m not sure precisely what the CIT structure is (meaning how they get paid) but having good attendance boosts a lot of things.

But the reason I like these tournaments, even if it’s pay to play, is that they are there for the teams/schools that need them. If a school doesn’t need it, fine. They can sit at home. But a team like High Point that won 24 or 25 games, they need to keep playing and see how far they can go. They have a first year coach who completely turned things around and built a lot of excitement on campus and they need to capitalize on it.

Chicago State has little history of success and only has one previous post season experience. They need it to help build momentum going into a new conference, because they had no conference tournament to play in the last couple of years and no realistic post season access, and as a feather in their cap for a season where they accomplished far more than has been the norm for them, even if it appears modest to an outside observer.

But more than anything, I see this as a treat for their players, most of whom are from Florida (the whole tournament is in Daytona Beach) and the fans at home who have not gotten to see them play in person hardly at all. Their road game at Stetson was the only game close to Florida, and they had a bigger crowd in attendance than they have at almost any home game all season. So maybe paying to play in this tournament is the school doing something for its players who have come so far to play there.

Maybe it’s nothing more than boost for overall morale, but that stuff can help turn things around. Knowing your school is behind you isn’t something all low major players in poorly funded programs always feel. If nothing else, if you have recruits in the pipeline (since most of their recruits come from that area) that can come see you play in person, to meet the team, for the coach to make personal contact with players and their parents, to see them have far more support than the other team most likely, that can pay off big too. For Chicago State, if you look it as a recruiting expense, that’s money well spent. Like I said, it all just depends on if a school needs the tournament, or if they don’t.

I doubt there is team in any non NCAA tournament who is more grateful than Chicago State considering what I explained about the tournament location, where they get players, and where they have the most friends, family and support.

As usual, I’ve turned a post into a novel, but I felt there was a lot to explain about why I feel like I do about these much maligned tournaments.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:18 PM by Todor.)
03-18-2024 12:07 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
How about UCSD, Todor? No NIT invite, not eligible for the NCAAs. And they're still playing ball.I'd say they are grateful too
03-18-2024 12:21 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 12:21 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  How about UCSD, Todor? No NIT invite, not eligible for the NCAAs. And they're still playing ball.I'd say they are grateful too

I did forget about the position schools are in that aren’t fully eligible yet. Yes, they are definitely right up at top of gratitude gradient. Especially since players went there knowing there was no path to anything guaranteed, no matter how they played.

I’m not even sure a school in their position can receive an NIT invite. I’m thinking they can not.

Good point.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:32 PM by Todor.)
03-18-2024 12:30 PM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
I think a few things here can be true.

The immediate future of Chicago State basketball has probably never been higher. They had their best win in program history, played a few stronger teams tough, and have climbed out of the basement of D-I. They head into a league where they can be competitive next season and are no longer a meme.

The program value of participating in something like the CBI or CIT has never been lower. In the portal era, there's little utility in "building for the future" by playing extra postseason games in the name of extra practices, since virtually nobody can count on roster continuity. Beyond spending money to play in a tournament with no prestige, coaches are going to be spending time that their peers will be spending on recruiting and roster construction. There's a reason neither of these tournaments could fill out their field and why so many of these teams are under .500 in lousy conferences...there's not much utility in the sub-NIT postseason events anymore.

I understand why High Point and UCSD are participating, and if Chicago State can win a game or two, I'm sure those will be important memories...and maybe they can keep their roster enough to turn that into a middle-of-the-pack NEC finish next season. But there's a reason why so many other programs who had better seasons turned these events down....and you'll only see that more until the calendar changes.
03-18-2024 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.