Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big East pro rata
Big12HoopsHeaven Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Big 12 Sixteen
The Big East pro rata
I've seen many of the more optimistic people in Big East circles speculating they can poach some ACC schools. IMO, if the ACC loses schools they will poach the BE (UConn), not the other way around.
So isn't it in the BE's best interests to add schools NOW?
It is my understanding that the Big East can add a 12th team under its current deal at a pro rata share. Since the original new big east deal is soon to run out, can we expect 1 team (at a minimum) to be added to this group soon?
UConn has been trying hard to get into a P4, and the Big East is entering the media market in a depressed time for revenue and exposure. The Big 12 and the Big 10 are already lined up for FOX into the next decade.
Thus, if the Big East needs to go with a streaming partner doesn't it stand to reason that they will need to focus on adding CONTENT. Can they negotiate more pro rata shares? If not, they can still use the one share they haven't used (and perhaps subsidize other partners until they strike a new deal soon).
The P4 have already started to cancel challenges with the BE. Growing the league could help the BE keep up with the P4 Joneses on membership numbers. The key is to grow before they secure their next media deal. If Val waits, they lose their window to make a preemptive backfill for UConn.

POSSIBLE BIG EAST SUPERCONFERENCE:
UConn
St Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Providence
Creighton
Dayton (12th)
Loyola (13th)
St Louis (14th)
Davidson (15th)
VCU (16th)
Wichita State (Replacement for UConn if they get poached. Creighton rival)
03-02-2024 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
RE: The Big East pro rata
Assuming your post is serious, this will not happen for these reasons:

1. East coast schools do not want to add more schools in the midwest - the value for Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns, Providence & UConn is playing in the Boston-DC corridor. Playing Dayton, St Louis, Loyola, etc do not add any value for them & those schools control the conference

2. The schools on your list will be available at anytime to whatever schools are left in the Big East - there is no urgency to add. Let's say that Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Seton Hall & Providence get left behind. Well Dayton, St Louis, Loyola, etc will be very happy to join these schools in a new conference. There is no risk.

3. Big East schools, except for Georgetown, Villanova & UConn, are in a fight for students. Every school elevated to the Big East is a more able competitor for students since the profile is raised. DePaul & Marquette have no desire to raise Loyola's profile, Butler & Xavier don't want to raise Dayton's profile, etc.

4. Big East has a realistic chance to get schools like Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc if the ACC implodes. It may be a small chance, but UConn came back & has thrived. If the ACC doesn't work out, Big East Football could be reborn with ND as a non-football member. As long as this could potentially happen, the conference will not expand.

5. Big East schools genuinely like the round robin basketball format with close travel & basketball first schools. While they would change if the $$$ was big, adding the schools you mentioned will not add significant $$ and it would end the round robin. Once you play 1x per year instead of 2x, the conference just isn't as close.
03-02-2024 01:19 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(03-02-2024 12:28 PM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  I've seen many of the more optimistic people in Big East circles speculating they can poach some ACC schools. IMO, if the ACC loses schools they will poach the BE (UConn), not the other way around.
It is my understanding that the Big East can add a 12th team under its current deal at a pro rata share. Since the original new big east deal is soon to run out, can we expect 1 team (at a minimum) to be added to this group soon?
UConn has been trying hard to get into a P4, and the Big East is entering the media market in a depressed time for revenue and exposure. The Big 12 and the Big 10 are already lined up for FOX into the next decade.
Thus, if the Big East needs to go with a streaming partner doesn't it stand to reason that they will need to focus on adding CONTENT. Can they negotiate more pro rata shares? If not, they can still use the one share they haven't used (and perhaps subsidize other partners until they strike a new deal soon).
The P4 have already started to cancel challenges with the BE. Growing the league could help the BE keep up with the P4 Joneses on membership numbers. The key is to grow before they secure their next media deal. If Val waits, they lose their window to make a preemptive backfill for UConn.

UConn
St Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Providence
Creighton
Dayton (12th) Blocked by Xavier
Loyola (13th) Chicago? Blocked by DePaul
St Louis (14th)
Davidson (15th)
VCU (16th). Blocked by Georgetown

Read above. Next.
03-02-2024 01:59 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Networks don’t pass out pro ratas like they’re cotton candy. You don’t just snap your fingers and a pro rata falls from the sky because you negotiated for it.
03-02-2024 02:20 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
The Big East gets extremely watered down and weaker by adding a bunch of A10 schools right now. Maybe you add 1 to go to 12 but going to 16 right now is really stupid imo.
03-02-2024 02:31 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-02-2024 12:28 PM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  I've seen many of the more optimistic people in Big East circles speculating they can poach some ACC schools. IMO, if the ACC loses schools they will poach the BE (UConn), not the other way around.

UConn
St Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Providence
Creighton
Dayton (12th)
Loyola (13th)
St Louis (14th)
Davidson (15th)
VCU (16th)

Dayton & St. Louis would be good choices for the BE if it ever expanded again, IMO. Everybody else is better where they are, IMO. However, the quote below is very true, IMO:

(03-02-2024 01:19 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  3. Big East schools, except for Georgetown, Villanova & UConn, are in a fight for students. Every school elevated to the Big East is a more able competitor for students since the profile is raised. DePaul & Marquette have no desire to raise Loyola's profile, Butler & Xavier don't want to raise Dayton's profile, etc.

4. Big East has a realistic chance to get schools like Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc if the ACC implodes. It may be a small chance, but UConn came back & has thrived. If the ACC doesn't work out, Big East Football could be reborn with ND as a non-football member. As long as this could potentially happen, the conference will not expand.

5. Big East schools genuinely like the round robin basketball format with close travel & basketball first schools. While they would change if the $$$ was big, adding the schools you mentioned will not add significant $$ and it would end the round robin. Once you play 1x per year instead of 2x, the conference just isn't as close.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 02:59 PM by DawgNBama.)
03-02-2024 02:56 PM
Big12HoopsHeaven Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Big 12 Sixteen
(03-02-2024 01:19 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  Big East has a realistic chance to get schools like Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc if the ACC implodes.

The ACC will raid the Big East - not the other way around.

The Big East is in a very bad spot trying to get a TV deal right now. They should've signed a deal that ended before the Big 10 and Big 12 went to market.

Any expansion needs to be done BEFORE the next deal. Kliavkoff found that out the hard way.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 06:26 PM by Big12HoopsHeaven.)
03-02-2024 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
(03-02-2024 06:24 PM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  
(03-02-2024 01:19 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  Big East has a realistic chance to get schools like Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc if the ACC implodes.

The Big East is in a very bad spot trying to get a TV deal right now. They should've signed a deal that ended before the Big 10 and Big 12 went to market.

Any expansion needs to be done BEFORE the next deal. Kliavkoff found that out the hard way.

We'll see if the Big East is in a tough spot. Fox & FS1 show a bunch of Big East hoops and there is no content available to replace it. Big East programing is a great value for FS1 since the schools are located in major markets so even though cable is dying, FS1 must be carried in NY, Phil, DC, Chi, Cin, etc. FOX needs weekend programing too once the NFL is done. I would be surprised if Fox did not renew - if they don't, its probably a sign that FS1 will be shut down.

If Fox passes, ESPN will have to decide what to do. My guess is a lot of ESPN+ games like the Big 12 with the big games on ESPN & ESPN2.
03-02-2024 10:32 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
They had one for years, but since half of them were football schools (including Notre Dame, but the Irish were -- and still are -- independent in football), there was always a bit of a disconnect between the Big East football schools and those that weren't in the Big East in football. (Schools like Georgetown, Villanova, et al who play football at the FCS level as well as those who don't have football programs at all, like Marquette, DePaul, Jt. John's, and Providence.) Because of that, the league splintered along FBS-school lines, giving us the American Athletic Conference (FBS football schools and Wichita State) and the current Big East Conference (FBS Independent UConn, the Catholic Seven, and a few other schools.)

Are we ready for another Big East superconference? I don't know, but if it does happen, it has a much better chance of staying together.
03-02-2024 10:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The Big East is not doing this.
03-02-2024 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-02-2024 06:24 PM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  

The current BE deal is, what, $4.6m per year? The whole Conference makes about as much FSU or Wake Forest all by themselves. I don't think the timing of their renewal relative to the P4 will have a material impact on its amount.
03-02-2024 11:20 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Yes, FOX does have a 12th pro rata, but like all FOX deals they have to agree to it.

11 is very popular because it gives the Big East 20 games, 10 home games, without giving up the round robin. A 12th means you don't host one of the schools. Also 11 turns out to have the maximum value for FOX with 110 conference games a 22% increase over 10 teams with 90 games at only a 10% cost increase for FOX. A 12th team adds only 10 games to the inventory or just 9% value over 11 at a 9% cost, and it means some matchups don't happen, meaning the gain is less than the face value of the add (lose a Marquette vs UConn, Creighton vs Georgetown, Providence vs Villanova games to make room for the 12th school). That is not a good return for either the Big East or FOX. A 12th school has to bring value similar to UConn or Villanova. There is only one school that adds that kind of value, Gonzaga. Memphis theoretically could have enough valuable, but football take them off the table for consideration. Dayton or VCU are nice, but in a Butler, Seton Hall kind of way, not must haves for FOX or the Big East.

The Big East probably sits at 11 for some time to come, unless they can make Gonzaga work. And with Oregon State and Washington State shoring up the WCC the next couple years, there is no reason for Gonzaga to do anything for awhile. And even if they wanted to, the commute is a killer.

That is why the 12th pro rata was never used by the Big East.
03-03-2024 12:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.