Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku-m...524a3.html
02-29-2024 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Turtle Power 98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Liberty
RE: BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
I'd really be shocked if they moved. A lot of things have changed. Back then, the conference was down to 5 teams. They have since added 6. Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State are just over 4 hour drives. CUSA did not have a media deal back then, but now they do, and one comparable to the MAC. The basketball championship was moved from Frisco, TX to Hunstville, AL, much closer to WKU. And there is the fact that WKU signed a grant of rights and would have to pay to get out. Add in that CUSA is superior to the MAC in baseball, basketball, softball, and last year, in football, I don't get why you'd sign up for cold weather weeknight games in November in Ohio and Michigan with the conference with the worst attendance of any.
02-29-2024 11:21 PM
Eagle Talon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
This makes a lot of sense. Life can bring changes pretty fast.

The MAC really needed to have killed off CUSA when they had the chance.
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 11:32 PM by Eagle Talon.)
02-29-2024 11:28 PM
Garden_KC Online
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
I'm not convinced its the right move for WKU either at this point. The SBC may have an opening in a few years and/or they can wait until the end of the media deal.

MAC should look at MVC FB schools....NDSU, MSU, ISU. Schools that think they can do better than CUSA.
02-29-2024 11:50 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Makes me think that WKU is going to stay put in CUSA and see what happens with realignment as a whole. Each most likely expanding by 1 unless there’s a flip and MAC gets Delaware before they even join CUSA in 2025 and CUSA then just holds at 10
03-01-2024 12:00 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
WKU should just wait for an opening in the SBC. I’d imagine they’re next.
03-01-2024 01:15 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(02-29-2024 10:40 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

Article1: "WKU considering whether to move."

CSNBBS commentators: "WKU is going to the MAC!"

Article2: "No, really, WKU is just considering whether to move. Their bags aren't packed like last time."

CSNBBS commentators: "WKU is definitely NOT going to the MAC!"

CUSA did indeed bring in a reduction in WKU's travel cost with two of the last adds. And now they are fixing to increase them again with Delaware and whomever #12 might be. CUSA does indeed have a media deal similar to the MAC's ... except midweek in October rather than November, so WKU has to sort out which is more desirable. A real big drawback to the move would be leaving their rival in CUSA ... they would have to discuss with the MAC what scheduling accommodations can be made toward maintaining the rivalry and decide how much that mitigates that downside of the move.

The article is presenting a strong "WKU is not desperate to move at this point in time" message, but whether that is spinning toward a decision to stay, or is spinning toward "a carefully considered, non-desperate decision to move" is going to become clearer as more messaging comes out of the Kentucky edition of Bowling Green.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 11:15 AM by BruceMcF.)
03-01-2024 02:39 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-29-2024 11:28 PM)Eagle Talon Wrote:  The MAC really needed to have killed off CUSA when they had the chance.

That's not our job.
03-01-2024 08:56 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-01-2024 02:39 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(02-29-2024 10:40 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

Article2: "No, really, WKU is just considering whether to move. Their bags aren't packed like last time."

CUSA did indeed bring in a reduction in WKU's travel cost with two of the last adds. And now they are fixing to increase them again with Delaware and whomever #12 might be. CUSA does indeed have a media deal similar to the MAC's ... except midweek in October rather than November, so WKU has to sort out which is more desirable. A real big drawback to the move would be leaving their rival in CUSA ... they would have to discuss with the MAC what scheduling accommodations can be made toward maintaining the rivalry and decide how much that mitigates that downside of the move.

The article is presenting a strong "WKU is not desperate to move at this point in time" message, but whether that spinning toward a decision to stay, or is spinning toward "a carefully considered, non-desperate decision to move" is going to become clearer as more messaging comes out of the Kentucky edition of Bowling Green.

October Weeknights in Texas/Alabama etc vs November weeknights in the Great Lakes...
03-01-2024 09:04 AM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I wonder about the mindset of Western Kentucky leaders. I can see how the history/stability of the MAC is appealing. Adding UMass shows a certain health and forward-focus for the MAC.

But C-USA offers programs located in the South. And WKU is a southern university that is tied, in some respects, to Nashville (lots of grads here) and, as such and more loosely, Middle Tennessee State.

This will be interesting.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 09:05 AM by bill dazzle.)
03-01-2024 09:04 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(02-29-2024 11:21 PM)Turtle Power 98 Wrote:  I'd really be shocked if they moved. A lot of things have changed. Back then, the conference was down to 5 teams. They have since added 6. Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State are just over 4 hour drives. CUSA did not have a media deal back then, but now they do, and one comparable to the MAC. The basketball championship was moved from Frisco, TX to Hunstville, AL, much closer to WKU. And there is the fact that WKU signed a grant of rights and would have to pay to get out. Add in that CUSA is superior to the MAC in baseball, basketball, softball, and last year, in football, I don't get why you'd sign up for cold weather weeknight games in November in Ohio and Michigan with the conference with the worst attendance of any.

There are other things to consider besides sports when changing conferences, such as academics. I have no idea what WKU's President deems most valuable, but you can't just cite athletics as the only barometer for a conference change.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 09:14 AM by GreenBison.)
03-01-2024 09:08 AM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(02-29-2024 11:28 PM)Eagle Talon Wrote:  This makes a lot of sense. Life can bring changes pretty fast.

True, but the C-USA would have been down to FIU, Louisiana Tech and UTEP. I doubt it could rebuild with just those three. It's more likely they would have gone the independent route in football with FIU joining the ASUN in non-football, and Louisiana Tech and UTEP joining the WAC for the same reason.
03-01-2024 09:26 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(03-01-2024 09:26 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(02-29-2024 11:28 PM)Eagle Talon Wrote:  This makes a lot of sense. Life can bring changes pretty fast.

True, but the C-USA would have been down to FIU, Louisiana Tech and UTEP. I doubt it could rebuild with just those three. It's more likely they would have gone the independent route in football with FIU joining the ASUN in non-football, and Louisiana Tech and UTEP joining the WAC for the same reason.

I had the feeling at the time that FIU had no idea a realignment was even happening 03-lmfao
03-01-2024 09:30 AM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(03-01-2024 09:30 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 09:26 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

I had the feeling at the time that FIU had no idea a realignment was even happening 03-lmfao

Yeah. They seemed to be very asleep at the wheel during that time. No wonder that got left behind when FAU left for the AAC.
03-01-2024 09:50 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
West Florida should be thinking on going to D1 by now.
North Florida should be thinking that we should have added football earlier.

Those 2 Florida schools could help bridge FIU to the rest of the conference.
03-01-2024 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-01-2024 10:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  West Florida should be thinking on going to D1 by now.
North Florida should be thinking that we should have added football earlier.

Those 2 Florida schools could help bridge FIU to the rest of the conference.

UWF could be a good fit if their on-campus stadium becomes suitable for the Sun Belt. Would be a natural rival with South Alabama

I don't see UNF starting football unless the Jags end up moving to London.

That's a tight market with the NFL on top of all the UF, FSU, UGA folks ... even Miami has some fans in Jax.

It'd be hard for UNF to carve out much of a fan base
03-01-2024 10:52 AM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
This is not sourced, an opinion piece, apparently based on that one report we have, and then attributing the chatter about that in midwestern newsrooms as multiple sources (sloppy). We still have the single report by a Toledo Blade reporter on twitter. Not saying WKU is not talking with the MAC, just that this is not additional evidence.
03-01-2024 11:14 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-01-2024 09:04 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 02:39 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

The article is presenting a strong "WKU is not desperate to move at this point in time" message, but whether that spinning toward a decision to stay, or is spinning toward "a carefully considered, non-desperate decision to move" is going to become clearer as more messaging comes out of the Kentucky edition of Bowling Green.

October Weeknights in Texas/Alabama etc vs November weeknights in the Great Lakes...

Pretty sure that WKU is going to keep its home games in South Central Kentucky, whichever conference it is located in.
03-01-2024 11:16 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I don't know why the MAC would have added UMass without having a 14th lined up. There had to be somebody that wanted to be the 14th.
03-01-2024 11:35 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-01-2024 11:35 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't know why the MAC would have added UMass without having a 14th lined up. There had to be somebody that wanted to be the 14th.

Hopefully Illinois State answers the bell
03-01-2024 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.