BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku-m...524a3.html
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 10:32 PM by BeatWestern!.)
02-29-2024 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Garden_KC Online
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
RE: BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
WKU may not be interested in moving to the MAC.

MAC could get Missouri State to do it over moving to CUSA I'd have to imagine.
02-29-2024 11:57 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: BG Daily News: WKU, MAC stay linked, but another courting could be different
(02-29-2024 10:31 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

A reminder not to read more into reporting than is actually there. The first time, WKU had its bags packed and was ready to go. They were standing there outside the CUSA's door. ... it was just MTSU balking that prevented it.

Now, they aren't as desperate to move. Instead, they are weighing their options. They might say yes, but equally well, they might say no. So reporting of the MAC and WKU being "in serious discussions" means exactly that, and not a euphemism for "decided to move, haven't decided when to announce".

If the MAC has a Plan B lined up, they would clearly prefer keeping a lid on it, and only let it start leaking out if WKU ends up saying "Thanks, but not thanks."
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 07:52 AM by BruceMcF.)
03-01-2024 02:01 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-01-2024 02:01 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(02-29-2024 10:31 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Commentary published today by the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News:

A reminder not to read more into reporting than is actually there. The first time, WKU had its bags packed and was ready to go. They were standing there outside the CUSA's door. ... it was just MTSU balking that prevented it.

Now, they aren't as desperate to move. Instead, they are weighing their options. They might say yes, but equally well, they might say know. So reporting of the MAC and WKU being "in serious discussions" means exactly that, and not a euphemism for "decided to move, haven't decided when to announce".

If the MAC has a Plan B lined up, they would clearly prefer keeping a lid on it, and only let it start leaking out if WKU ends up saying "Thanks, but not thanks."

These are all solid points. Someone once told me the most popular sports are speculation and criticism because anyone can play anywhere any time at little or no cost. The only need is an opinion. Of course the Bowling Green and Toledo sports writers are going to get in on it. They cannot not.

All we DO know is some facts and some pretty good conclusions based on them.

For example, the CFP is still in flux, along with monetary distributions, etc. The NCAA just reformed the MBB NIT selection rules to favor the power leagues, at the last minute just as this bball season was starting. Of lesser consideration --- but still viable as WBB is the third "leg" of what some consider the premier sports -- the NCAA launched the WBIT to compete with the independent WNIT. And of course transfer portal and NIL rules and changes are floating around. The NCAA also upped the FCS>FBS fee from $5,000 to $5 million.

More locally, the MAC-ESPN contracts expires in mid-2027 and negotiations obviously will get going at some point. For sure UMass will be in on talks. In June last year the MAC HQ hired Chris Turner, who spent 25 years with ESPN. His jobs included SEC network, ESPN-owned bowl games and tournament events. At the MAC his job is overseeing partnerships with ESPN and CBS Sports, liaison to the ADs, management of football (whatever that means) and heading up the hosting for the MAC CG. IDK what this means. He may be Jon Steinbrecher's next-in-line. IDK again.

All of the above is the backdrop for adding #14 to the MAC, if the MAC doesn't stop at 13, either before or after UMass officially starts conference play in 2025-26.

I'm pretty much sitting here being happy we got UMass, at least for a while before I jump into the fray again. They wanted in, the MAC presidents wanted them in, they got in, and they want to win. If/when they do, great for them ... and also of the MAC, by the MAC and for the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 06:36 AM by pvk75.)
03-01-2024 06:30 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

Also, there's discussion board time, and there is real world time.

Part of these discussions involve the money raising people talking to the people that they raise money from regarding what they are prepared to back, and what they are prepared to tolerate.

Those people that write the checks are often busy people, because what they are busy doing is how the money shows up to back those checks.

Even if the University administration knows what they want to do, they are not going to go ahead with it if it means that the funding for the new Chemistry building or for the new IPF gets yanked in a fit of pique. So they are going to meet with their funders ... both academic funders and boosters ... before they make any final decisions, because before all of those meetings take place, they don't know enough to make a final decision.

Which means that these things can easily drag out so long that commenters on a message board are tired of a topic and assume that "they are stalling! nothing is going on!".

For example, did UMass have an invite to CUSA waiting for them, if they gave the high sign? Did some academic funders get snobbish about being in CUSA? We are not likely to find out, since these are conversations that happen behind closed doors without minutes being taken, but one thing that may have kept UMass in a holding pattern could have been academic funders not getting behind one move and boosters not getting behind a different move.

They are the ones writing the checks, so the Chancellor goes out, talks through their concerns, gets advice on what can be done to assuage those concerns, and around and around it goes until an option is presented that enough people on both sides of the contribution streams can get behind.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 08:11 AM by BruceMcF.)
03-01-2024 08:08 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

A reminder not to read more into reporting than is actually there.

I read it as confirmation of Western Kentucky's interest and that a deal could happen, but that the university doesn't want to say much.

I'd be surprised if Middle Tennessee is a Plan B given what happened in 2021.

Perhaps UConn is the Plan B?
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 08:58 AM by Schadenfreude.)
03-01-2024 08:47 AM
Advertisement

BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(03-01-2024 08:47 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

I read it as confirmation of Western Kentucky's interest and that a deal could happen, but that the university doesn't want to say much.

You can be sure that the BG Daily News source is Jared MacDonald, the former BG Daily News sportswriter assigned the WKU beat, who is now the Director of Communications & Media Relations for WKU sports.

The key takeaway is that WKU officials do not wish to talk on the record right now about any potential move to the MAC.
03-01-2024 09:40 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(03-01-2024 09:40 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  

You can be sure that the BG Daily News source is Jared MacDonald, the former BG Daily News sportswriter assigned the WKU beat, who is now the Director of Communications & Media Relations for WKU sports.

The key takeaway is that WKU officials do not wish to talk on the record right now about any potential move to the MAC.

Maybe negotiating getting out of their GOR, discussing future MAC TV revenue.
03-01-2024 09:51 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(03-01-2024 09:40 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  

It should all be private! Our administration never mentioned a conference. Yes, CUSA would have accepted us. The MAC was a better sports fit, geographical fit, values and culture fit. We chose the MAC over CUSA. CUSA was a solid plan B if the MAC did not want to go with us. Glad they did!
03-01-2024 09:59 AM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-01-2024 09:51 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  Maybe negotiating getting out of their GOR, discussing future MAC TV revenue.

How important is it to "get out of their GOR," I wonder. I'll stand corrected, but isn't the GOR only like three years? Western Kentucky could announce plans to move to the MAC once the GOR is complete, right? That aligns pretty closely to the MAC's new television deal doesn't it? Is there a downside?

The MAC could tough it out with 13 members for a couple of years. We've done that before. And I would think if everyone knows Western Kentucky is leaving, Conference USA might be willing to open the door and help pack their bags to get it done quickly.
03-01-2024 10:23 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I don't see why we would have added UMass if we didn't have a 14th school lined up.
03-01-2024 11:03 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
(03-01-2024 10:23 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 09:51 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  Maybe negotiating getting out of their GOR, discussing future MAC TV revenue.

How important is it to "get out of their GOR," I wonder. I'll stand corrected, but isn't the GOR only like three years? Western Kentucky could announce plans to move to the MAC once the GOR is complete, right? That aligns pretty closely to the MAC's new television deal doesn't it? Is there a downside?

The MAC could tough it out with 13 members for a couple of years. We've done that before. And I would think if everyone knows Western Kentucky is leaving, Conference USA might be willing to open the door and help pack their bags to get it done quickly.

There is no negotiation required on the GoR. It is an $800k penalty per year remaining to exit early. We could certainly wait to move until it expires, but $800k-1.6 mil would not prohibit a move on its own.
03-01-2024 11:47 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(03-01-2024 11:47 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 10:23 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

There is no negotiation required on the GoR. It is an $800k penalty per year remaining to exit early. We could certainly wait to move until it expires, but $800k-1.6 mil would not prohibit a move on its own.

Ah thanks
03-01-2024 11:56 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(03-01-2024 11:03 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't see why we would have added UMass if we didn't have a 14th school lined up.

And why the MAC would have passed on Delaware who was interested unless the MAC already had who they wanted in mind.
03-01-2024 12:05 PM
Garden_KC Online
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
(03-01-2024 11:03 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't see why we would have added UMass if we didn't have a 14th school lined up.

It was a surprise decision and the MAC jumped on it.

I'm not concerned we can't find a 14th as an FBS league and now adding UMass to the stable.
03-01-2024 12:07 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
If 14th is happening, I like any of what seem to be most obvious options: WKU, or UConn (presumably football only) or if we somehow flip Delaware (feels least likely scenario).
03-01-2024 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(03-01-2024 01:33 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  If 14th is happening, I like any of what seem to be most obvious options: WKU, or UConn (presumably football only) or if we somehow flip Delaware (feels least likely scenario).

This seems most likely. I don't know why we would pass on Delaware and take UMass for an odd number and tell them "not now" as was rumored if we didn't have a #14 we were talking to already. Delaware was talking to the MAC and when the MAC said no then they jumped to CUSA as their only option left. So the two that make the most sense is WKU and then UConn next and if they balk then the MAC goes back for another run at Delaware in my opinion. I think I read the "not now" by somebody connect to UD on the GoHens.net message board. They said talks were happening and then MAC said not now and then moved on and CUSA was predicted after the not now and shortly after UD announced a move to CUSA, but MAC was the first choice.

Add on top of that a connected Marshall poster on the SBC board who predicted some of this realignment who said the MAC is actively talking to a few schools as #14 and that he had heard that news will surface in the next week or so. Which would be logical timing and then head into renegotiation with ESPN where everything lines up for the MAC taking 2 more schools for TV deal and then coming out ahead in money per school to announce a new TV deal with more TV slots and money. MUHERD76 said he had heard the 3 schools being talked to as #14 were WKU, MTSU, UConn, and Delaware. Likely in that order. Possibly WKU, MTSU & UConn for 16. All rumors of course but with credibility behind it. So we have a connected Marshall/SBC fan with no skin in the game, the Toledo Blade beatwriter, others, and the 2021 almost bringing in of WKU all pointing toward WKU.

Adding Massachusetts, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Connecticut as states to the MAC profile would be a great get and the MAC leadership has always said they will only add if it benefits in money and overall so the new MAC deputy hired with ESPN experience has likely done their homework.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 02:55 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
03-01-2024 02:43 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

Still don't think they should be adding UConn football only. I hope it isn't that
03-01-2024 03:10 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-01-2024 03:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Still don't think they should be adding UConn football only. I hope it isn't that

Yeah, I'd prefer a couple of KitCat's fantasy FCS call-ups to UConn, but sadly it's plausible. Being the only independent left other than ND would make scheduling after mid-October really, really hard.

For me, flipping Delaware would be preferable, since they would come in all-sports, but OTOH the more western located schools might be unhappy about the travel.

If it does end up being UConn, the MAC should keep on talking to KitCat's fantasy FCS call-ups to see where they stand on stepping up, because I would expect any serious raiding of the ACC would see UConn heading out the door.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 03:23 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-01-2024 03:20 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-01-2024 02:43 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Add on top of that a connected Marshall poster on the SBC board who predicted some of this realignment who said the MAC is actively talking to a few schools as #14 and that he had heard that news will surface in the next week or so. Which would be logical timing and then head into renegotiation with ESPN where everything lines up for the MAC taking 2 more schools for TV deal and then coming out ahead in money per school to announce a new TV deal with more TV slots and money. MUHERD76 said he had heard the 3 schools being talked to as #14 were WKU, MTSU, UConn, and Delaware. Likely in that order. Possibly WKU, MTSU & UConn for 16. All rumors of course but with credibility behind it. So we have a connected Marshall/SBC fan with no skin in the game, the Toledo Blade beatwriter, others, and the 2021 almost bringing in of WKU all pointing toward WKU.

I see where he posted on the Sun Belt board that he heard three schools were in serious conversations with the MAC and we'd likely hear more in a week. I did not see where he named any candidates.
03-01-2024 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.