Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dellenger: SEC pushing to change December schedule to dead period for recruiting
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Dellenger: SEC pushing to change December schedule to dead period for recruiting
Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports reports:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-pushing-to-...19575.html

IMHO, this is a great idea!
02-23-2024 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Dellenger: SEC pushing to change December schedule to dead period for recruiting
Were the SEC leaders meeting in Charlotte?
02-23-2024 08:23 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Dellenger: SEC pushing to change December schedule to dead period for recruiting
I guess if you’re going to have an early signing period, this is the “least bad” option to move it to the first week of December.

I don’t think anyone is going to get traction with having only a spring transfer portal window. The courts are probably going eviscerate restrictions on transfer timing entirely, much less allowing any defined window at all (which Sankey seemed to acknowledge with the legal issues).

It seems that if the powers that be truly wanted to declutter December, they’d go back to a single signing day in February. At least as of now, the NCAA still has total control over when signing day occurs, whereas they’re losing the legal ability to restrict transfers. On paper, it would seem to be beneficial to everyone: schools will know what roster needs that they have to fill after the December transfers occur, while high school recruits aren’t signing in December but then risk getting recruited over by experienced transfers a couple of weeks later.

Now, I get coaches wanting to lock down their verbal commits (as a verbal commit and a dollar will get you an ounce of coffee at Starbucks), but there are always trade-offs. Getting rid of early signing day is the one thing that the NCAA can completely control right now with low risk of a lawsuit (unlike messing with transfer rules to make them even *more* restrictive, which courts are clearly rejecting). So, I’m curious about why it just seems that maintaining an early signing day seems to be automatic for the powers that be when going back to a single February signing day is the easiest and most legal thing that they can do to declutter December.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2024 08:50 AM by Frank the Tank.)
02-23-2024 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
Cool. Getting closer for me to get rid of my monthly bills for subscriptions like YouTube/Hulu TV, espn+, etc. I won’t need it anymore after greed destroys G5 and below.

I can spend that $100/mo on something else or save it for retirement.

So I went from “cord-cutting” to “cutting it all off”. I hope many more join me and they choke on their greed.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2024 10:07 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
02-23-2024 10:03 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-23-2024 08:49 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I guess if you’re going to have an early signing period, this is the “least bad” option to move it to the first week of December.

I don’t think anyone is going to get traction with having only a spring transfer portal window. The courts are probably going eviscerate restrictions on transfer timing entirely, much less allowing any defined window at all (which Sankey seemed to acknowledge with the legal issues).

It seems that if the powers that be truly wanted to declutter December, they’d go back to a single signing day in February. At least as of now, the NCAA still has total control over when signing day occurs, whereas they’re losing the legal ability to restrict transfers. On paper, it would seem to be beneficial to everyone: schools will know what roster needs that they have to fill after the December transfers occur, while high school recruits aren’t signing in December but then risk getting recruited over by experienced transfers a couple of weeks later.

Now, I get coaches wanting to lock down their verbal commits (as a verbal commit and a dollar will get you an ounce of coffee at Starbucks), but there are always trade-offs. Getting rid of early signing day is the one thing that the NCAA can completely control right now with low risk of a lawsuit (unlike messing with transfer rules to make them even *more* restrictive, which courts are clearly rejecting). So, I’m curious about why it just seems that maintaining an early signing day seems to be automatic for the powers that be when going back to a single February signing day is the easiest and most legal thing that they can do to declutter December.

There's benefits for everyone for an early signing period. People keep recruiting until they are signed. So the students get harangued. Coaches have to keep recruiting committed people.
02-23-2024 10:59 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2024 10:03 AM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  Cool. Getting closer for me to get rid of my monthly bills for subscriptions like YouTube/Hulu TV, espn+, etc. I won’t need it anymore after greed destroys G5 and below.

I can spend that $100/mo on something else or save it for retirement.

So I went from “cord-cutting” to “cutting it all off”. I hope many more join me and they choke on their greed.

There are plenty of reasons over the past couple of years as to why a G5 fan would have this position… but why would this particular signing day issue matter?
02-23-2024 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2024 10:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-23-2024 08:49 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I guess if you’re going to have an early signing period, this is the “least bad” option to move it to the first week of December.

There's benefits for everyone for an early signing period. People keep recruiting until they are signed. So the students get harangued. Coaches have to keep recruiting committed people.

I get that part (hence my intimation that verbal commits aren’t worth anything). It’s no loss to me since I’m not a coach that needs to work 100 hour weeks in December, but rather pointing out that out of all of the options to “declutter December”, the signing date is the one item that is still under the total control of the NCAA. (I guess there cold theoretically be a lawsuit on that, too, but the standing and harm thresholds of plaintiffs for delaying that date by a month or two is much tougher compared to a transfer where it’s truly a major difference in being able to transfer in December for the upcoming spring semester compared to having to wait until several months later.)

In any event, I do think it’s the “least bad” option to declutter December - if they still believe in the value of the early signing date, then having it in early December makes more sense that having it right in the middle of playoff/bowl season and transfer portal chaos.
02-23-2024 11:08 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-23-2024 11:08 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-23-2024 10:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  

I get that part (hence my intimation that verbal commits aren’t worth anything). It’s no loss to me since I’m not a coach that needs to work 100 hour weeks in December, but rather pointing out that out of all of the options to “declutter December”, the signing date is the one item that is still under the total control of the NCAA. (I guess there cold theoretically be a lawsuit on that, too, but the standing and harm thresholds of plaintiffs for delaying that date by a month or two is much tougher compared to a transfer where it’s truly a major difference in being able to transfer in December for the upcoming spring semester compared to having to wait until several months later.)

In any event, I do think it’s the “least bad” option to declutter December - if they still believe in the value of the early signing date, then having it in early December makes more sense that having it right in the middle of playoff/bowl season and transfer portal chaos.

Its actually good for the HS athletes. They don't get bumped by portal players. But then again with NIL, maybe scholarships don't matter. Pay me half a mil, in-state tuition and I could pay my own.
02-23-2024 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.