March 1: ASUN, Sun Belt
March 2: Big South, CAA, Horizon, NEC, OVC, Patriot, SoCon, WCC
March 3: MVC, Summit
March 4: Big Sky
March 5: America East
March 6: Sun Belt
March 7: MEAC
March 8: MAC
March 9: A-10, ACC, BXII, Big East, Big West, CUSA, Ivy, MAAC, MWC, PAC-12, SEC, SWAC, WAC
March 10: AAC, B1G
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 12:53 PM by jimrtex.)
02-19-2024 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
RE: College Basketball General Thread Week 15
I see things are going swimmingly for Pitino at St. John’s in year one. Had quite the meltdown after they blew a big lead against Seton Hall last night.
02-19-2024 09:50 AM
jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
Current Winning Streaks as of February 18

14 UConn: (20) Creighton; (24) Villanova
13 St. Mary's: (20) San Francisco; (24) San Diego
11 South Florida; (21) @UTSA; (25) SMU
11 Colgate: (19) @Lafayette; (24) Anerican
8 Merrimack: (22) St. Francis (PA)
7 Grand Canyon: (22) @Tarleton State; (24) @Abilene Christian
7 Washington State: (22) @Arizona; (24) @Arizona State
7 Southern: (19) @Texas Southern; (24) Grambling
6 James Madison: (21) @Marshall; (24) @Georgia Southern
6 Arizona: (22) Washington State; (24) Washington
6 San Francisco: (20) @ St. Mary's; (24) Pepperdine
6 Loyola Chicago: (24) George Mason
6 SMU: (22) @Florida Atlantic; (25) @South Florida
6 Tarleton State: (22) Grand Canyon; (24) Cal Baptist
6 Weber State: (24) @Idaho State
6 Southeast Louisiana: (19) Lamar; (24) New Orleans

5 Austin Peay, Little Rock, Pitt, UNCA, Western Kentucky

Games in red are matchups where winning streaks collide.

This is the first week where 6 games are needed for Top 10

Streaks ended last week: Yale(10); Indiana State(9); Purdue(9); Virginia(8); Marquette(8); South Carolina(7); Morehead State(7)
02-19-2024 09:55 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
2 weeks from today March Madness begins.
02-19-2024 10:36 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

as we're getting close to the tournaments- here's a link with all the tourney info for all the mens conferences-
https://hoopshd.com/conference-tourney-info/
02-19-2024 10:37 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-19-2024 10:37 AM)stever20 Wrote:  as we're getting close to the tournaments- here's a link with all the tourney info for all the mens conferences-

Sad to see so few campus sites. I think ASUN, Patriot, NEC, & America East are the only four where the 1-seed hosts. Leagues like the OVC and Big South would have so much better environments playing them at the 1-seed.
02-19-2024 12:03 PM
Advertisement

jimrtex Offline
All American

RE: College Basketball General Thread Week 16
(02-19-2024 12:03 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 10:37 AM)stever20 Wrote:  as we're getting close to the tournaments- here's a link with all the tourney info for all the mens conferences-

Sad to see so few campus sites. I think ASUN, Patriot, NEC, & America East are the only four where the 1-seed hosts. Leagues like the OVC and Big South would have so much better environments playing them at the 1-seed.
Horizon plays the first two rounds at higher seeds. If you play at higher seeds you have to spread the tournament out for teams to travel and arrange for home games if a team is upset.

OVC (Evansville) and Big South (High Point) have modest sized arenas, and people can travel on the day of the first round, and have two nights in a hotel. Both are in hoops happy regions where there is nothing better than watching 7 games in three days.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 12:54 PM by jimrtex.)
02-19-2024 12:53 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-19-2024 12:53 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  

Horizon plays the first two rounds at higher seeds. If you play at higher seeds you have to spread the tournament out for teams to travel and arrange for home games if a team is upset.

OVC (Evansville) and Big South (High Point) have modest sized arenas, and people can travel on the day of the first round, and have two nights in a hotel. Both are in hoops happy regions where there is nothing better than watching 7 games in three days.

I’ve been to the OVC Tournament and can tell you Evansville is about 10% full at best for the OVC Tournament since Murray left - and only about 15% capacity when USI was playing. I agree that High Point’s arena is ideal, but the environment is best at a 1-seed.
02-19-2024 01:04 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Colgate beats Lafayette and is the first team I believe to clinch their regular season title.
02-19-2024 08:16 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 01:04 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 12:53 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  

I’ve been to the OVC Tournament and can tell you Evansville is about 10% full at best for the OVC Tournament since Murray left - and only about 15% capacity when USI was playing. I agree that High Point’s arena is ideal, but the environment is best at a 1-seed.
What happens if the #1 Seed gets knocked off in the first round? Suddenly the third seed is a host for the next round, and has to get their arena ready and sale tickets. The fourth seed has to travel there instead of the 1st seed. And the 8th seed has to play at the 2nd seed.

The OVC would get better attendance if Murray State, and Austin Peay, and Belmont, and Eastern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State were still in the conference, but they aren't.

The format used by the OVC also lets women's tournament be played at the same location.

Though I can see what you mean about the attendance. For the men's the average for four sessions was 1379, and for the women's 458. Maybe it would be better to use a conventional bracket rather than the ladder format used. SE Missouri men's is the only team that really got a run through the tournament.
02-19-2024 08:36 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 08:16 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Colgate beats Lafayette and is the first team I believe to clinch their regular season title.
That is the Raiders 6th consecutive title (2019 was shared). This will be the longest streak in the country if Gonzaga can not run down St. Mary's.

Three schools are not defending their title due to switching conferences: Houston (AAC -> BigXII), Liberty (ASUN -> CUSA), and Florida Atlantic (CUSA -> AAC)

Four schools can not mathematically repeat as champions:

Miami(FL) (ACC), though co-champion Virginia can.
Kennesaw State (ASUN), with the exit of Liberty means a new champion for the ASUN.
Oral Roberts (Summit), missing Max Abmas.
Utah Valley (WAC)

Likely repeats:

Vermont (America East)
Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
Purdue (B1G)
UC Irvine (Big West)
Yale (Ivy)
Merrimack (NEC)
Morehead State (OVC)
Alabama (SEC)
Samford (SoCon)
St.Mary's (WCC)

Likely first time champions in current conference:

South Florida (AAC)
Eastern Kentucky (ASUN)
Houston (Big XII)
UConn (Big East) First since return to conference.
High Point (Big South) First outright.
Oakland (Horizon) First outright.
Quinnipiac (MAAC)
Akron (MAC) First outright.
Samford (SoCon) First outright.
Appalachian State (Sun Belt)
02-19-2024 09:46 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Kansas St loses again. lost 7 of last 8. Their tourney hopes are on life support.
02-19-2024 11:29 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
[Image: 3bb0e4e6c98a1af08c50c0bbcee81f5cc53af9ed.jpeg]

First place baby! First to 10 wins!

https://big12sports.com/standings.aspx?path=mbball
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 11:39 PM by C2__.)
02-19-2024 11:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Think this is interesting- coinciding with GameDay to UConn this weekend.
02-19-2024 11:45 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

He looks nothing like SVP. Oh what, anytime you see a completely bald and clean shaven white man, they look like Scott Van Pelt?
02-19-2024 11:51 PM
Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mid Majors
Colgate defeated Lafayette in Easton 67-62 last night to wrap up the Patriot League regular season title. This means as the graphic says the Patriot League Conference tournament runs through Hamilton once again.

It's a different type of Raiders team to what Matt Langel has has in the past. They aren't as high scoring of a team or shoot the 3 as well. This actually probably his best defensive teams he's had in the past 5 or so seasons lead by the best player in the conference big man Keegan Records who is likely to pick up the PL player of the year.

[Image: GGvh38XWEAAB-je?format=jpg&name=small]

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2024 07:25 PM by Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast.)
02-20-2024 06:56 PM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(02-19-2024 12:03 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Sad to see so few campus sites. I think ASUN, Patriot, NEC, & America East are the only four where the 1-seed hosts. Leagues like the OVC and Big South would have so much better environments playing them at the 1-seed.

Big South tournament should be a really good atmosphere this year at the Qubein Center on the campus of High Point though. Likewise the Legacy Center in Lake Charles (McNeese home arena) hosting the whole Southland tournament.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2024 07:16 PM by Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast.)
02-20-2024 07:14 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-20-2024 06:56 PM)Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast Wrote:  Colgate defeated Lafayette in Easton 67-62 last night to wrap up the Patriot League regular season title. This means as the graphic says the Patriot League Conference tournament runs through Hamilton once again.

It's a different type of Raiders team to what Matt Langel has has in the past. They aren't as high scoring of a team or shoot the 3 as well. This actually probably his best defensive teams he's had in the past 5 or so seasons lead by the best player in the conference big man Keegan Records who is likely to pick up the PL player of the year.

[Image: GGvh38XWEAAB-je?format=jpg&name=small]

Judging from that, I at least know I can bet against Toothpaste in March in the Round of 64.
02-20-2024 07:51 PM
Special Teams

Utah State go top of the Mountain West with a home win tonight over #19 San Diego St in front of a sold out Dee Smith Spectrum. Great Osobor was excellent all-around.

#18 Saint Mary's were given a real test against San Francisco but get the win 70-66 to stay undefeated at 13-0 in the WCC. San Francisco haven't won in Moraga since 2003.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2024 02:08 AM by Mid-Major Hoops Enthusiast.)
02-21-2024 02:06 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Rough night for VCU, Pitt, NCSU, and TAMU. And I am just tired and over Michigan State. Can we recognize that against the other likely Big Ten tournament teams, they're something like 1-5? I guess we'll just have to wait until they pull one out against Northwestern and people will be back on that train like they belong...

Good night for the MWC teams other than the expected "lock" status of SDSU. USU, UNR, and Boise all winning.
02-21-2024 05:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.