Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BG Game!
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
BG Game!
This game could be a track meet as both teams like to get up and down the court with Toledo averaging 79ppg. and BG 76ppg. Looking forward to the individual match up between leading scorers Raheim Moss and Marcus Hill who both play with an attitude! One area of concern for Toledo could be rebounding as the Falcons outrebound their opponents by almost 4 per game led by their 6-8 Power Forward Rashaun Agee and 7-0 ft Center Jason Spurgin with 9rpg and 6rpg respectively. A couple areas of weakness for The Falcons are 3 point shooting (31%) and free throw shooting (68%). One advantage for Toledo could be recognizing the importance of this rivalry as BG has a new coaching staff and many new players who have never experienced a Toledo/BG game before!
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024 02:20 PM by Basketball Jones.)
01-24-2024 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
RE: BG Game!
In football I think BG cares more about the rivalry as there's less stepping stones to hit their ultimate goal vs. ours as a MAC Champ and G5 rep. I'd say Toledo is 2 years ahead overall in football.

In MBB we have pieces who understand the rivalry, but also neither team have won the MAC. Coach K.has referenced Kent to a rival, and their barrier to the dance is that reason. But this game is the next pillar to stand on other than making the dance while BG is just trying to find their way to a winning record and Cleveland.
01-24-2024 02:58 PM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
(01-24-2024 02:12 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  This game could be a track meet as both teams like to get up and down the court with Toledo averaging 79ppg. and BG 76ppg. Looking forward to the individual match up between leading scorers Raheim Moss and Marcus Hill who both play with an attitude! One area of concern for Toledo could be rebounding as the Falcons outrebound their opponents by almost 4 per game led by their 6-8 Power Forward Rashaun Agee and 7-0 ft Center Jason Spurgin with 9rpg and 6rpg respectively. A couple areas of weakness for The Falcons are 3 point shooting (31%) and free throw shooting (68%). One advantage for Toledo could be recognizing the importance of this rivalry as BG has a new coaching staff and many new players who have never experienced a Toledo/BG game before!
I wonder if K will shake up the starting lineup or wait to see what happens early on if he sticks with the small lineup Rockets have been using? 6'7" vs 7'0", 6'4 vs 6'8", 6'2" vs 6'4", 6'1 vs 6'0" , 6'2" vs 6'5".
13" total height difference between starters. Rockets are one switch from a 7'0" vs 6'4" , 6'8" vs 6'2" or less matchup. Wonder if Wight or Brcic or Lorrentson will start?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2024 02:48 PM by UTfanBGalum.)
01-25-2024 02:36 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(01-25-2024 02:36 PM)UTfanBGalum Wrote:  
(01-24-2024 02:12 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  This game could be a track meet as both teams like to get up and down the court with Toledo averaging 79ppg. and BG 76ppg. Looking forward to the individual match up between leading scorers Raheim Moss and Marcus Hill who both play with an attitude! One area of concern for Toledo could be rebounding as the Falcons outrebound their opponents by almost 4 per game led by their 6-8 Power Forward Rashaun Agee and 7-0 ft Center Jason Spurgin with 9rpg and 6rpg respectively. A couple areas of weakness for The Falcons are 3 point shooting (31%) and free throw shooting (68%). One advantage for Toledo could be recognizing the importance of this rivalry as BG has a new coaching staff and many new players who have never experienced a Toledo/BG game before!
I wonder if K will shake up the starting lineup or wait to see what happens early on if he sticks with the small lineup Rockets have been using? 6'7" vs 7'0", 6'4 vs 6'8", 6'2" vs 6'4", 6'1 vs 6'0" , 6'2" vs 6'5".
13" total height difference between starters. Rockets are one switch from a 7'0" vs 6'4" , 6'8" vs 6'2" or less matchup. Wonder if Wight or Brcic or Lorrentson will start?
Rebounding is the least important stat in congruence with wins. I don't mind a small lineup if Cochran shoots less threes, Moss and Maddox make theirs at a decent clip, and Lorenston plays hard while he's in. We should get lots of steals and get in transition we'll vs. BG. They'll have some dunks. But we are at home and should fend off runs better there. Bg shoots poorly from the FT line so if Brcic and Wight have to play 5 to 8 minutes, just play physical and send em to the line if need be.
01-25-2024 04:39 PM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

(01-25-2024 04:39 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(01-25-2024 02:36 PM)UTfanBGalum Wrote:  
Rebounding is the least important stat in congruence with wins. I don't mind a small lineup if Cochran shoots less threes, Moss and Maddox make theirs at a decent clip, and Lorenston plays hard while he's in. We should get lots of steals and get in transition we'll vs. BG. They'll have some dunks. But we are at home and should fend off runs better there. Bg shoots poorly from the FT line so if Brcic and Wight have to play 5 to 8 minutes, just play physical and send em to the line if need be.

This rocket team seems to rely on drives more than outside shooting. That is a good strategy as it also often results in fouls from the opponent. But when the opponent has several inches height advantage they can more easily swat/protect rim without fouling. That means we better be generating a lot of TOs to make up for it and shooting above average from 3. Wish I was a fly in Rocket coaches room to hear what plan is for Sat!
01-25-2024 06:29 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Spurgin the 7 footer plays small, mostly looks to pass and shoot jumpers, can't get off the ground. 6-7 Agee is a power player who is a beast around the rim but useless beyond 5 feet. those bigs are going to have to defend quicker rockets players too. Hill is a speedy super athletic lead guard who mostly wants to score instead of play a traditional PG. they got a grad transfer guard from Vandy who was hurt early but is healthy now and shoots the 3 well. pretty deep roster. their new coach did a nice job w the portal and I'd expect them to continue to be good w him around.
01-26-2024 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
I thought that was a bad lost at home for the Birds against Kent St. Kent is not what they use to be, but still pulled out the victory on the road in OT against the birds. BGSU, team wise only shoots 31 % from the 3. Must still defend the 3 so they don't get hot out there shooting uncontested 3's. Since this is a rival game, I wonder if this game will get nasty, with Moss trying to get under the opponents skin.
01-26-2024 09:37 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

Black uniforms for this rivalry game. At least get the student section to do a blackout if you’re gonna wear black unis.
01-27-2024 09:59 AM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

Kent St lost their 3rd league game at home last night against an OU team that hadn't won on the road this season. They are now sitting at 3-5 with road games left at Toledo, Akron and OU. At this point in the season, it looks like TK has done a much better job of managing the transition from his Big 3 (Shumate, Milner, and Dennis) then Senderoff has done with losing his two Star Players (Cary and Jacobs)!
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024 10:54 AM by Basketball Jones.)
01-27-2024 10:53 AM
bdunrocket Offline
Bench Warmer

Zero D to start of course.
01-27-2024 02:17 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

Not shooting very well again, and why so many threes?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024 02:38 PM by Screwball.)
01-27-2024 02:37 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

It seemed like Cochran was single-handedly keeping the Rockets in the game for a while.
01-27-2024 02:59 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Heck of a 2nd half with 57 points.

Keep beating those dirty birds.
01-27-2024 03:52 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Like I said,we’ll struggle against teams like BG with good bigs.
01-27-2024 04:03 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
what a game! great performance by the team staff and fan base. love the way our team defense and communication on that end is coming together. Simmons always steps up when we need him. offense looked like a real TK Toledo offense probably more than any game this season. we were a half step ahead of BG on that end all day (well not the first 7 minutes).

I think we are seeing the evolution of raheem moss. the past 2 games he has been a great leader. made the offense flow. picked up his d today, he was ice cold early, and just adjusted a little didn't force things and played great overall the rest of the game.

keep an eye on sam lewis. he is starting to really see the opportunities on offense and find good shots. Lorentsson finally broke out. we are tough to guard when he is on. Brcic has played too many games for a RS, hoping he is 100% and can give us a little more than wight down the stretch.
01-27-2024 04:13 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
We had a team triple double- at least one player in double figures in points, assists and boards.
01-27-2024 04:33 PM
Advertisement

Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

What an atmosphere at Savage today. The team fed off it especially in the second half when they exploded for 57 points. While The Rockets gave up 41 points in the second half, their aggressive defense led to some turnovers and run outs that resulted in points at the other end. D. Maddox was on fire from three hitting 6 of 7 including several from downtown Chicago that legendary announcer Jerry Keil used to say on his play-by-play back in the day. Props to Tyler Cochran on both ends of the court (21 points, 19 rebounds and 5 steals, and R. Moss who despite not shooting the ball well still contributed 15 points and 10 assists. Big efforts also from J Simons on the interior and A. Lorentson on the perimeter. A couple of notable statistics were Toledo outrebounding the bigger Falcons by 8 and bench points outscoring them 14-0. And finally, a shout out to TK for coming up with answers to Toledo attacking the BG zone as the 57 second half points attest to.
01-27-2024 04:55 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Miami beats Akron. Rockets tied for 1st place.
01-27-2024 05:14 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Great win for sure.

Rockets played awesome 2nd half...truly great.

Great crowd and an enthusiastic crowd for sure!!!
01-27-2024 06:29 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Random off topic thought. It pisses me off when non students sit in the student sections during a packed game. So many students having to stand up in the walkway. And when I walked past I look down and see a ton of older folks sitting on the bleachers. Yes it’s possible some are actually student. But I’m sure most of them are not.
01-27-2024 06:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.