Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State at Bowling Green
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State at Bowling Green
The Golden Flashes hit the road for Bowling Green where they will take on the Falcons inside the unique confines the Stroh Center. Tuesday's tip is scheduled for 7PM.

BG is the surprise team of the MAC, at least if you ask me. The Falcons are 14-4, 5-1 in the MAC and 9-1 at home. After a 2-2 start the Falcons rattled off 8 consecutive wins over your average non-conference opponents and EMU. Their only conference loss was a 83-67 setback to Akron. That game was hotly contested until about the last 8 minutes if I remember correctly.

The Falcons have a four headed offensive monster led by 6'4 junior Marcus Hill (20 ppg). The Rockford Illinois product and JC transfer gets plenty of help from 6'8 senior Rashaun Agee (12 ppg), 7'0 Australian Jason Spurgin (10 ppg) and 6'0 senior from Canada, Trey Thomas (12 ppg). Those are also BG's best rebounders with Agee averaging about 9 per game.

This is going to be yet another tall task for the good guys. Best of luck and safe travels...sounds like the ice is on its way.

GO FLASHES!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2024 01:57 PM by fallsdog.)
01-22-2024 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
RE: Kent State at Bowling Green
(01-22-2024 08:22 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  The Golden Flashes hit the road for Bowling Green where they will take on the Falcons inside the unique confines the Stroh Center. Tuesday's tip is scheduled for 7PM.

BG is the surprise team of the MAC, at least if you ask me. The Falcons are 14-4, 5-1 in the MAC and 9-1 at home. After a 2-2 start the Falcons rattled off 8 consecutive wins over your average non-conference opponents and EMU. Their only conference loss was a 83-67 setback to Akron. That game was hotly contested until about the last 8 minutes if I remember correctly.

The Falcons have a four headed offensive monster led by 6'4 junior Marcus Hill (20 ppg). The Rockford Illinois product and JC transfer gets plenty of help from 6'8 senior Rashaun Agee (12 ppg), 7'0 Australian Jason Spurgin (10 ppg) and 6'0 senior from Canada, Trey Thomas (12 ppg). Those are also BG's best rebounders with Agee averaging about 9 per game.

This is going to be yet another tall task for the good guys. Best of luck and safe travels...sounds like the ice is on its way.

GO FLASHES!
Yes freezing rain for this part of Ohio. Disappointed at the Akron game, but heck of an atmosphere, if only we could get more crowds like that. At least they didn't quit. As others have said, I figured based on early season we could be at least 3rd in MAC, but with the injuries things will be tough. Hopefully Gino hits his stride and Freeman get more PT. Reminds me of the season we looked really good until Pollard got injured in the OU game and we tanked after that.
01-22-2024 04:09 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-22-2024 04:09 PM)OLNWFLSH Wrote:  
(01-22-2024 08:22 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  The Golden Flashes hit the road for Bowling Green where they will take on the Falcons inside the unique confines the Stroh Center. Tuesday's tip is scheduled for 7PM.

GO FLASHES!
Yes freezing rain for this part of Ohio. Disappointed at the Akron game, but heck of an atmosphere, if only we could get more crowds like that. At least they didn't quit. As others have said, I figured based on early season we could be at least 3rd in MAC, but with the injuries things will be tough. Hopefully Gino hits his stride and Freeman get more PT. Reminds me of the season we looked really good until Pollard got injured in the OU game and we tanked after that.

BG record is very misleading.
Check out who they played non-conference vs who we played
I like our chances.
01-22-2024 04:12 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-22-2024 04:12 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(01-22-2024 04:09 PM)OLNWFLSH Wrote:  

GO FLASHES!

BG record is very misleading.
Check out who they played non-conference vs who we played
I like our chances.

I think the team that last played together (Cleveland State) could make that argument ... don't know about this one.
01-22-2024 04:46 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
I don't criticize Coach very often, but I see no reason Bekelja continues to start (let alone play). It's truly baffling.
01-23-2024 06:34 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(01-23-2024 06:34 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  I don't criticize Coach very often, but I see no reason Bekelja continues to start (let alone play). It's truly baffling.

I think it's just as simple as he's one of our best options defensively on the perimeter. I know advanced defensive metrics are limited and his sample size is smaller, but he's #1 on our team in defensive box +/-. Gio is a solid defender. Sully and Bass are turnstiles and Moss is out. We lost our #1 and #2 perimeter defenders last year. IMO Rollins and Moss were the best bet to become our top perimeter defenders. Now they're both out so I don't know what else you can do other than let Bekelja play and hope he knocks down open threes when it comes to him. It's easier to hide an offensive liability than a defensive one. I might consider Hayes over him just because he has more upside but I think right now Bekelja is probably good to give you a little bit more than Hayes.
01-23-2024 06:51 PM
Advertisement

Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-23-2024 06:51 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(01-23-2024 06:34 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  I don't criticize Coach very often, but I see no reason Bekelja continues to start (let alone play). It's truly baffling.

I think it's just as simple as he's one of our best options defensively on the perimeter. I know advanced defensive metrics are limited and his sample size is smaller, but he's #1 on our team in defensive box +/-. Gio is a solid defender. Sully and Bass are turnstiles and Moss is out. We lost our #1 and #2 perimeter defenders last year. IMO Rollins and Moss were the best bet to become our top perimeter defenders. Now they're both out so I don't know what else you can do other than let Bekelja play and hope he knocks down open threes when it comes to him. It's easier to hide an offensive liability than a defensive one. I might consider Hayes over him just because he has more upside but I think right now Bekelja is probably good to give you a little bit more than Hayes.

Hornbeak just entered game for Payton. Great news. He was so excited to enter game he forgot to remove his warmups !!
First game since 12/21
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024 07:15 PM by Older and Older.)
01-23-2024 07:13 PM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

Bass has been a big disappointment to me so far. Plays out of control most of the time. Must have won that FOY award simply based on scoring 14 a game. Good athlete but jeez…
01-23-2024 08:07 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Is it too much to ask that they actually have the ball on screen when they’re showing the offensive end and not zoomed in?
01-23-2024 08:15 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a 3 second violation.
01-23-2024 08:47 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Nice clutch 3 from Santiago.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024 09:03 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-23-2024 09:02 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

OT!
01-23-2024 09:14 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

That is a good win. Nice job KSU.
01-23-2024 09:32 PM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

About as ugly a win as you can get but we’ll take it! Near the end of regulation, I think we missed 5 of our last 6 FT’s…an almost sure recipe for a loss. Somehow they got it done. Way to hang in there men!

Great to see Hornbeak back! Provided some much needed inside scoring
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024 09:44 PM by Old Man Flash.)
01-23-2024 09:43 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

(01-23-2024 08:47 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a 3 second violation.

Now that I think of it, I can't either. Years ago, it was called frequently. I know about a dozen years ago the NCAA was going to emphasize enforcement, but it didn't seem like they did.

Good road win. BTW, I was looking at scores and records. What the heck happened to Buffalo? It seemed like for quite a while KSU, Akron, Buffalo and Toledo were the most consistently competitive teams, but Buffalo is having a lousy year.
01-23-2024 09:45 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

There's really nobody else ... in terms of running the team PG???

Bass can't do it.
01-23-2024 10:29 PM
Advertisement

luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
(01-23-2024 10:29 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

There's really nobody else ... in terms of running the team PG???

Bass can't do it.

I think they are trying to keep Gio and Sullinger apart to start game because of D. Bass is a shoot first PG much like Jaylen. Gio has to run the point, They will probably hit portal hard this summer to get a true PG.
01-24-2024 09:18 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

luckyflash,

This makes sense.

I get that it is a frontcourt addition but is there any chance the the return of Hornbeak allows Coach to play around with a guy like Freeman or VCD in an effort to limit Bekelja's minutes. Or is the only tradeoff of his return less Magnus?
01-24-2024 11:35 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(01-24-2024 11:35 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  luckyflash,

This makes sense.

I get that it is a frontcourt addition but is there any chance the the return of Hornbeak allows Coach to play around with a guy like Freeman or VCD in an effort to limit Bekelja's minutes. Or is the only tradeoff of his return less Magnus?

Just got to live with him ... Hornbeak is a big help, no doubt. But the backcourt problem remains. Kent hasn't missed often in roster development, but this year is the exception to the rule. The fact Gio (for the most part) has struggled is because he has to do too much.

This team is loaded with fragile players ... Gio, Sullinger is one-dimensional, Payton for all of his plusses, has cost Kent at least one game with missed free throws and very close to two or three others. Bekelja??? Freeman??? Bass???

Only VCD has played above his weight this season, IMO.

On another point (and historically Kent has been good in this department) Bekelja, Bass, Freeman are all transfers and have all underperformed.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024 01:06 PM by cleveland.)
01-24-2024 01:02 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-23-2024 06:51 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  

Perfect summary of the situation. Except for the James Madison foul snafu Bekelja extremely smart player that doesnt care about scoring. Gio has had his best 2 games the last 2 coming off bench. i think he can observe things and find his niche in a game that way as he has a tendency to push things, over dribble and then turnovers. Hayes value could be on defensive end if would accept that role but he takes poor shots and isnt ready yet.
01-24-2024 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.