WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Killing of College Sports
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
The Killing of College Sports
Pretty good piece on how all the changes promoted by the "experts" are killing college sports.

Quote:The experts will kill college sports as we once loved it

What I was afraid would happen to college football - my favorite distraction from that monster known as the “real world” - is happening.

New NIL rules and unlimited transfers are achieving what I once thought was impossible - namely, I’m rapidly losing interest in a sport I’ve followed religiously since I was 6.

In my opinion, every reform that was touted as being “pro-athlete” will end up harming far more college student athletes than they help - and probably end up killing a good number of college athletic programs, which certainly won’t help athletes … because some of these schools will no longer have athletes.

“My team” is Alabama and in recent days I can’t read the sports page without learning that yet another key member of my team is entering the dreaded “transfer portal.” (I’m sure these athletes have their reasons, but it seems odd any football pastures would be greener than Alabama’s.)

Go on, take the money and run …

Seemingly overnight, what happened in college football is that star players no longer had to wait until they were 20 or 21 to become instant millionaires in the NFL.

The most talented athletes can now give themselves a big pay raise in their remaining one or two years of college football by “testing the market” and transferring to programs whose NIL funders can boost their college salary by XX thousands of dollars a year.

Conventional and politically-correct wisdom tells us this is a long-overdue “reform” and will benefit athletes who, allegedly, have been “exploited” for 100 years. (I’ve always wondered why so many former college athletes seem to have such fond memories of the days when they were being exploited).

Read the rest here
01-18-2024 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: The Killing of College Sports
One small step would be to align players to coaches:

Players' LOI is a contract to play X years at the school. They can hit the transfer portal anytime, but the poaching school has to pay a buy-out fee (whatever is agreed upon in the contract) to the poached school. If we are going to lose a Jayden Reed, might as well get some $ reimbursement. Not gonna happen, but hey, sounds good to me.

NIL, I still don't fully understand the mechanisms behind it all. I don't have a problem with college stars profiting off their name and selling jerseys or whatnot with their names on it. But the whole thing with "independent" collectives and guarantees and all the recruiting loopholes it's created, I don't know... sounds shady to me.
01-18-2024 12:31 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

The NC$$ had a decade after the relevant court rulings to take action on NIL and Transfers and did nothing. Once it was forced on them they didn't have a plan now we have the current non-system as a result.
01-18-2024 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

as much as i agree, this whole thing very much feels like an Alabama fan going "i'm only upset because it's finally happening to meeeeeeeee everybody feel sorry for us poor Bama fans"
01-19-2024 12:34 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(01-18-2024 01:15 PM)moe24 Wrote:  The NC$$ had a decade after the relevant court rulings to take action on NIL and Transfers and did nothing. Once it was forced on them they didn't have a plan now we have the current non-system as a result.

You have to remember NCAA is (was?) only an organization tasked to enforce rules, policies etc. that member universities (presidents, ADs, etc.) wanted.

It was created by universities and colleges to do so.

It was not an organization that could unilaterally act without policies that were voted on-approved by membership.

Not saying NCAA has been perfect but that NCAA itself is representative of wishes of its members over the years.
01-19-2024 02:10 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

(01-19-2024 02:10 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(01-18-2024 01:15 PM)moe24 Wrote:  The NC$$ had a decade after the relevant court rulings to take action on NIL and Transfers and did nothing. Once it was forced on them they didn't have a plan now we have the current non-system as a result.

You have to remember NCAA is (was?) only an organization tasked to enforce rules, policies etc. that member universities (presidents, ADs, etc.) wanted.

It was not an organization that could unilaterally act without policies that were voted on-approved by membership.

Not saying NCAA has been perfect but that NCAA itself is representative of wishes of its members over the years.

I'm well aware of that. The membership also hired a president who buried his head in the sand and then when NIL and transfers were forced upon them everyone threw up their hands as if they had no idea this was coming.
01-19-2024 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(01-19-2024 03:22 PM)moe24 Wrote:  
(01-19-2024 02:10 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

I'm well aware of that. The membership also hired a president who buried his head in the sand and then when NIL and transfers were forced upon them everyone threw up their hands as if they had no idea this was coming.

Yea, I mean, what did they think was going to happen? In the long run it is going to hurt college athletes, at least if they wanted to play Division I.
01-20-2024 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.