Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

16 team NIT style football tournament after CFP selections
Bookmark and Share
Goodsn4 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Texas State
16 team NIT style football tournament after CFP selections
16 teams with 1 automatic selection from each conference.
7 at large selections.

Using this year's rankings you would have a possible tournament including:

1. Oklahoma (Big 12)
2. LSU (SEC)
3. Notre Dame (IND)
4. Louisville (ACC)
5. Arizona (PAC 12/Big 12)
6. Iowa (Big 10)
7. SMU (AAC/ACC)
8. NC St. (ACC)
Boise State (MWC)
New Mexico St. (Liberty in CFP)(CUSA)
Troy (SBC)
Miami (OH) (MAC)
Oregon St. (PAC 12/MWC?)
JMU (SBC)
Oklahoma St. (Big 12)
Tennessee (SEC)

Rank the top 8 based on the CFP rankings and then assign the remaining teams based upon geography. 1st 2 rounds on campus of higher ranked team.

Semifinals and Championship at predesignated bowls.
01-07-2024 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
RE: 16 team NIT style football tournament after CFP selections
(01-07-2024 08:09 PM)Goodsn4 Wrote:  16 teams with 1 automatic selection from each conference.
7 at large selections.

1. Oklahoma (Big 12)
2. LSU (SEC)
3. Notre Dame (IND)
4. Louisville (ACC)
6. Iowa (Big 10)
7. SMU (AAC/ACC)
8. NC St. (ACC)
Boise State (MWC)
Troy (SBC)
Miami (OH) (MAC)
Oregon St. (PAC 12/MWC?)
JMU (SBC)
Oklahoma St. (Big 12)
Tennessee (SEC)

Rank the top 8 based on the CFP rankings and then assign the remaining teams based upon geography. 1st 2 rounds on campus of higher ranked team.

The other bowls would not have let that happen. I think they need to do away with the bowl system completely. Maybe this would help that cause if they can show there is more money to be made by calling it a tournament. But if it draws advertising dollars away from the playoff it won't last long. Personally, I'd be more interested in that.
01-07-2024 08:17 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
I like the bowls myself. It's a lot easier to go to for one game. Since you are recommending it be at the higher seeds place it would just be the G5 playing at a P5's place. At least with the bowls there's a neutral site matchup. It's already too many just going to play at P5 places as is. All this would do is widen the gulf between the G5 and P5.
01-07-2024 08:27 PM
Bill Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
I prefer a bowl game if it gives (as a JMU fan) us a chance to be matched up against in-state rivals like UVA, VT, or Liberty. I would've loved to have seen JMU kick Liberty's patoot instead of having us both lose our bowl games. Maybe if our old coach can eek 6 wins out of Indiana we could get a bowl game against them next season if we're not in the expanded playoffs.
01-07-2024 09:06 PM
Advertisement

Johnnychimpo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
As long as that possibility remains that a 9 win SBC teams could be tossed in a bowl game they don’t want to be in against a 7-6 Akron I invite the possibility of a consolation bracket that could feature 2 -3 SBC teams along with a SBC team in the actual 12 team CFP bracket.

It would be really cool for 3-4 SBC teams to have a bracket to actually play for.
01-08-2024 11:58 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Just give me bowl games.
01-08-2024 12:17 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
^He is right. Fans and team can celebrate one game. Like all college football should be...entertainment!
01-08-2024 12:27 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-07-2024 08:09 PM)Goodsn4 Wrote:  16 teams with 1 automatic selection from each conference.
7 at large selections.

1. Oklahoma (Big 12)
2. LSU (SEC)
3. Notre Dame (IND)
4. Louisville (ACC)
6. Iowa (Big 10)
7. SMU (AAC/ACC)
8. NC St. (ACC)
Boise State (MWC)
Troy (SBC)
Miami (OH) (MAC)
Oregon St. (PAC 12/MWC?)
JMU (SBC)
Oklahoma St. (Big 12)
Tennessee (SEC)

I'd rather have a bowl game.

Would you rather deal with one bowl game where a bunch of your star players have entered the transfer portal, and your head coach might be gone? Or a whole tournament?
01-08-2024 12:34 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Make the playoff conference champs plus the highest ranked remaining teams for a field of 16. Everybody else can go bowling.
01-08-2024 01:32 PM
rbarthle17 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: App State
This solves nothing with regards to opt outs and portal losses. They don't stick around for non-CFP NY6 bowls, why would they stick around for a second rate tournament?
01-08-2024 01:38 PM
Advertisement

KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
WHY????
01-08-2024 02:18 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-08-2024 01:32 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  Make the playoff conference champs plus the highest ranked remaining teams for a field of 16. Everybody else can go bowling.

I would LOVE that, but the P5(4) will never let that happen. they make too much money and do not want to share it with 5 other conferences that they deem to be VERY inferior. In their eyes it would be like having the FCS allow D2 teams to play in their playoff brackets.
01-08-2024 02:21 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

(01-08-2024 02:21 PM)KJ Eagle Wrote:  
(01-08-2024 01:32 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  Make the playoff conference champs plus the highest ranked remaining teams for a field of 16. Everybody else can go bowling.

I would LOVE that, but the P5(4) will never let that happen. they make too much money and do not want to share it with 5 other conferences that they deem to be VERY inferior. In their eyes it would be like having the FCS allow D2 teams to play in their playoff brackets.

Yeah, I know. It makes perfect sense, it's fair, and it will never happen. I just keep throwing it out there to make myself feel better.
01-08-2024 04:46 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2024 04:46 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  
(01-08-2024 02:21 PM)KJ Eagle Wrote:  

Yeah, I know. It makes perfect sense, it's fair, and it will never happen. I just keep throwing it out there to make myself feel better.

We'll be fortunate to keep 6+6 format. I'd be pretty happy if that happens. 8+8 is my own personal fantasy that probably never happens. LU crapping the bed didn't help.

Worst case, they move to 5+7, and then PAC rebuilds by poaching "best of G5" and lands the 5th auto most years.

And no thanks to a "NIT" system. That will either give them an excuse to push the G5 out entirely, or stack it full of P5 teams also if it gains traction.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024 06:57 PM by JMURocks.)
01-08-2024 06:55 PM
hotrod2001 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I'm fine with bowl games. I get the upper tiers have rigged it so us here in the land or mortals will probably get just one shot at it in some token slot for the P5, but after the last few years it's kind of fun to get a final game with some stakes attached to it against a mystery opponent that's a somewhat even peer.

And although I haven't experienced a bowl game yet, I've heard that a lot of the host cities, especially Mobile and Montgomery have bent over backwards in terms of hospitality.

That and I think a 3,4 round physical contact tournament for an "also ran" title will be a hard sell, especially seeing how a lot of players are jumping into the portal or draft right after the regular season is over with. Basketball is an easier sell for something like that.
01-08-2024 09:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.