01-04-2024 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Rockets ranked by Football Scoop
Fun glass half full approach.

Half empty approach: They had four games that mattered and lost three of them.

Perceptually weird with some finding it one of the greatest seasons ever and others a product of the competition. 11-1 with an Illinois win and a BG win and some random off-week loss? Probably would have been a consensus all-timer.

Somewhere in the middle for me, as the losses weren't by a whole lot and the games were entertaining.
01-04-2024 07:55 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Did the Miami QB2 enter the portal? Saw he did not play in their bowl game. Knows that QB1 is going to make a comeback next year, so not surprising if he did. Good runner, so-so as a passer - but he looks like he has a lot of grit. Might have a shot in the NFL at some position with his size - looks more like a LB on the field.
01-05-2024 08:02 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-05-2024 08:02 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Did the Miami QB2 enter the portal? Saw he did not play in their bowl game. Knows that QB1 is going to make a comeback next year, so not surprising if he did. Good runner, so-so as a passer - but he looks like he has a lot of grit. Might have a shot in the NFL at some position with his size - looks more like a LB on the field.

Pretty sure he did.
01-05-2024 08:10 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-04-2024 07:55 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Fun glass half full approach.

Half empty approach: They had four games that mattered and lost three of them.

Perceptually weird with some finding it one of the greatest seasons ever and others a product of the competition. 11-1 with an Illinois win and a BG win and some random off-week loss? Probably would have been a consensus all-timer.

Somewhere in the middle for me, as the losses weren't by a whole lot and the games were entertaining.

After watching 50+ years of Rocket football, this was a good season not a great one. Losing the last two games really looked
bad. Especially the MACC loss, Miami starting a back-up QB that would have been a 3rd or 4th teamer for UT.
01-05-2024 08:43 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

It was a Candle season, potential not realized, head coach distracted by play calling that is not making the in game decisions necessary to lead the overall team. He is a well paid MAC coach and will always frustrate us as a fan base with what could have been.
01-05-2024 09:10 AM
Advertisement

Nick from Ohio Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Little Guys
(01-05-2024 09:10 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  It was a Candle season, potential not realized, head coach distracted by play calling that is not making the in game decisions necessary to lead the overall team. He is a well paid MAC coach and will always frustrate us as a fan base with what could have been.

Stop it with that BS.

The unfortunate part is that in the MAC you have to be undefeated to make it to the NY6. Toledo was eliminated from that party Week 1. From there, the next goal is win the MAC and beat your rivals.

We beat our rivals and made it to the MAC Championship game.

In the MACC game, we were handcuffed by a QB that played like he did not want to be there and ran like he was making business decisions. I loved seeing Gleason FINISH runs and make effort plays in the bowl game. How many times did we see DQ slide short of the sticks this season? Too many to count. Despite the poor play, two blocked kicks, and terrible decisions by kick returners, we had a chance to win. We didn't. Good teams lose to other good teams.

In a meaningless bowl game - Candle and Co. had an opportunity to win the game. They didn't. How many of you lost money on the Rockets on the moneyline? Did you actually believe they were going to win the game or were you more of the +4.5 point Rocket fans that didn't actually think they could win?

Get used to losing bowl games in the future too. We could be 12-1 going into that bowl game (or the Myrtle Beach Bowl or Frisco Bowl, or what ever other BS MAC bowl game there is) and Peny Boone is still leaving for a P5 and the best players are still going to opt out. The more success Toledo has, the more other schools are going to come looking at the pieces and the more they risk losing value in the draft if they play and get hurt. BOWL GAMES DO NOT MATTER because they are given out to everyone that is average or better.
01-05-2024 12:28 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2024 12:28 PM)Nick from Ohio Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 09:10 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  It was a Candle season, potential not realized, head coach distracted by play calling that is not making the in game decisions necessary to lead the overall team. He is a well paid MAC coach and will always frustrate us as a fan base with what could have been.

Stop it with that BS.

The unfortunate part is that in the MAC you have to be undefeated to make it to the NY6. Toledo was eliminated from that party Week 1. From there, the next goal is win the MAC and beat your rivals.

In the MACC game, we were handcuffed by a QB that played like he did not want to be there and ran like he was making business decisions. I loved seeing Gleason FINISH runs and make effort plays in the bowl game. How many times did we see DQ slide short of the sticks this season? Too many to count. Despite the poor play, two blocked kicks, and terrible decisions by kick returners, we had a chance to win. We didn't. Good teams lose to other good teams.

In a meaningless bowl game - Candle and Co. had an opportunity to win the game. They didn't. How many of you lost money on the Rockets on the moneyline? Did you actually believe they were going to win the game or were you more of the +4.5 point Rocket fans that didn't actually think they could win?

Get used to losing bowl games in the future too. We could be 12-1 going into that bowl game (or the Myrtle Beach Bowl or Frisco Bowl, or what ever other BS MAC bowl game there is) and Peny Boone is still leaving for a P5 and the best players are still going to opt out. The more success Toledo has, the more other schools are going to come looking at the pieces and the more they risk losing value in the draft if they play and get hurt. BOWL GAMES DO NOT MATTER because they are given out to everyone that is average or better.

"BS" often refers to making excuses. You made a lot of them. Just saying. You started the thread for discussion or dictation? Why make presumption the reasons behind people's opinions that cannot possibly have to do with their own eyes? Betting? Gambling lines? Come on. That's projecting.

And we had a huge discussion here over several threads about whether the bowl game matters. Most of us piped up with opinions BEFORE the game. Did you? IF they had won, would it have still not mattered? What if they had gotten the game against the B10 and won? Wouldn't matter?

Nationally televised games matter. Every team loses players. Coaches are prepared to lose players. I thought it was a good game. But a game that close, it's legit to consider whether same players, different coach, different results, particularly when the coach has a pretty solid history of not winning the "big ones." It has been posted the Coach Candle has barely a winning record against teams (including MAC) with winning records. If correct, that's not good. :shrug:

indianasniff wasn't wrong.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2024 01:10 PM by eastisbest.)
01-05-2024 01:07 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Missed our 4 best NFL prospects in the bowl game and covered vs a team with 15k fans and playing for their coaches last stand 3k miles from home.

The season didn't feel as good bookeneded by the losses, but we won em all home and beat our rival in the best Battle of I75 in my lifetime.

I give the season a B+. Many thought Candle couldn't even beat up on the terrible MAC and all of our losses were to teams similar to us in talent, but small advantages like home field or special teams.

Things to clean up, but 4-0 is very possible OOC in 2024.
01-05-2024 01:40 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Rockets ranked by Football Scoop
(01-05-2024 01:40 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Missed our 4 best NFL prospects in the bowl game and covered vs a team with 15k fans and playing for their coaches last stand 3k miles from home.

The season didn't feel as good bookeneded by the losses, but we won em all home and beat our rival in the best Battle of I75 in my lifetime.

I give the season a B+. Many thought Candle couldn't even beat up on the terrible MAC and all of our losses were to teams similar to us in talent, but small advantages like home field or special teams.

What is your lifetime, out of curiosity?
01-05-2024 02:22 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(01-05-2024 01:40 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Missed our 4 best NFL prospects in the bowl game and covered vs a team with 15k fans and playing for their coaches last stand 3k miles from home.

+2 on that one. I thought it was a very good season. Not a Championship season but a D championship and a great season for the fans. Lots of interest generated and that is always good.

Next years OOC is a potential catapult. We can have a very good team next season.

Go Rockets!!
01-05-2024 02:30 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2024 02:22 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

I was 6 for the 2000 season. I've been present for every battle of I75 since then. Don't recall the huge comeback at home in 04 that well. We scored 27 in the 3rd quarter or something that year. Rushing the Doyt though and beating the first pretty decent BG team since 2015 felt huge this year.
01-05-2024 03:00 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
The expectations for next season should be 10 regular season wins, an MACC appearance and a bowl game finishing with 11-12 wins. The cupboard is not bare and if the MAC is going to continue to struggle producing good teams, we have no business losing to any of them.
01-05-2024 03:10 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2024 01:40 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  . Many thought Candle couldn't even beat up on the terrible MAC

evidence or it didn't happen, lol

Were these posters here? Sports journalists? Your friends that wear orange?

B, B+ seems about right. As I recall, most were going 10-2 pre-season, figuring Illinois and one random shouldn't have lost it. I don't know if anyone expected the conference to be as weak as it was. or was it? How did conference ratings shake out?

someone would need quote this since he's ghosted me, lol but he should have that info.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2024 03:36 PM by eastisbest.)
01-05-2024 03:33 PM
Nick from Ohio Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Little Guys
(01-05-2024 01:07 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Stop it with that BS.

"BS" often refers to making excuses. You made a lot of them. Just saying. You started the thread for discussion or dictation? Why make presumption the reasons behind people's opinions that cannot possibly have to do with their own eyes? Betting? Gambling lines? Come on. That's projecting.

And we had a huge discussion here over several threads about whether the bowl game matters. Most of us piped up with opinions BEFORE the game. Did you? IF they had won, would it have still not mattered? What if they had gotten the game against the B10 and won? Wouldn't matter?

Nationally televised games matter. Every team loses players. Coaches are prepared to lose players. I thought it was a good game. But a game that close, it's legit to consider whether same players, different coach, different results, particularly when the coach has a pretty solid history of not winning the "big ones." It has been posted the Coach Candle has barely a winning record against teams (including MAC) with winning records. If correct, that's not good. :shrug:

My point about the betting lines was that if any fans that gamble TRULY thought Toledo was the better team going into the bowl game - they would have put money on the Rockets to win outright. The movement on the ML tells us that no one really thought Toledo was the better team otherwise more money from Vegas would have come in and moved the needle.

I am just tired of people saying that 11-3 is mediocre. It's not. It isn't in the MAC, it isn't in the Big 10, and it isn't in the FCS. 6-6 is mediocre and putting mediocre in bowl games makes the games meaningless.
01-05-2024 04:25 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-05-2024 03:10 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  The expectations for next season should be 10 regular season wins, an MACC appearance and a bowl game finishing with 11-12 wins. The cupboard is not bare and if the MAC is going to continue to struggle producing good teams, we have no business losing to any of them.

Miss St should be very good under Coach Lebby. #29 Recruiting Class and 13 quality transfers. We'll find out how good the Rocket Defense is rather quickly.
01-05-2024 04:44 PM
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(01-05-2024 04:44 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 03:10 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  The expectations for next season should be 10 regular season wins, an MACC appearance and a bowl game finishing with 11-12 wins. The cupboard is not bare and if the MAC is going to continue to struggle producing good teams, we have no business losing to any of them.

Miss St should be very good under Coach Lebby. #29 Recruiting Class and 13 quality transfers. We'll find out how good the Rocket Defense is rather quickly.

Agreed
01-05-2024 04:47 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2024 04:25 PM)Nick from Ohio Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 01:07 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Stop it with that BS.

My point about the betting lines was that if any fans that gamble TRULY thought Toledo was the better team going into the bowl game - they would have put money on the Rockets to win outright. The movement on the ML tells us that no one really thought Toledo was the better team otherwise more money from Vegas would have come in and moved the needle.

I am just tired of people saying that 11-3 is mediocre. It's not. It isn't in the MAC, it isn't in the Big 10, and it isn't in the FCS. 6-6 is mediocre and putting mediocre in bowl games makes the games meaningless.

fair enough
01-05-2024 04:50 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Rockets ranked by Football Scoop
(01-05-2024 03:00 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

I was 6 for the 2000 season. I've been present for every battle of I75 since then. Don't recall the huge comeback at home in 04 that well. We scored 27 in the 3rd quarter or something that year. Rushing the Doyt though and beating the first pretty decent BG team since 2015 felt huge this year.

I would put 2004, then 2005 and then 2013 ahead of this year.

2004 and 2005 far better than any others since then.
01-05-2024 07:51 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2024 07:51 PM)adunifon Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 03:00 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

I would put 2004, then 2005 and then 2013 ahead of this year.

2004 and 2005 far better than any others since then.

Most games have been very compelling which is why it's the best rivalry in the MAC, and usually with high stakes. The lack of quality matchups is why this past season felt bigger to me.
2013 was awesome, and was Kareems breakout game as a freshman. I didn't like the grey uniforms that much and the fact that we ended 7-5 and missed a bowl while BG won the conference is why it's not quite at the top for me.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2024 01:26 PM by UofToledoFans.)
01-06-2024 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.