Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tarleton State to CUSA Discussion
Bookmark and Share
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Tarleton State to CUSA Discussion
I’ve heard from a reliable source that Tarleton is not an if they get added but when. I am starting to get the feeling they are going to be the next addition as much as I don’t want that to happen.
01-04-2024 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUApollo Online

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
RE: Tarleton State to CUSA Discussion
Ugh. It's gonna take a lot to sell me on being happy about that.
01-04-2024 12:06 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(01-04-2024 11:50 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I’ve heard from a reliable source that Tarleton is not an if they get added but when. I am starting to get the feeling they are going to be the next addition as much as I don’t want that to happen.

You do indeed have a reliable source!
01-04-2024 12:08 PM
Turtle Power 98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Liberty
I think it will be Tarleton over UMass which can't seem to make up their mind or give up basketball in the A-10. Tarleton was 8-3 in FCS football this year and could have been in playoffs if waiver wasn't denied. Two FCS losses were by a point and in double overtime. They average 19,000 fans a game in attendance. Their enrollment is 16,230 and growing rapidly by year. Their football stadium seats 24,000 total and their facilities are up to date. Oh, and by the way, their men's basketball is 9-4, including a 17 point win over FIU and a win over LMU.

I also think they fit geographically in the west as a bridge between NMS/UTEP and Sam Houston/LA. Tech. If by chance NMS/UTEP ever leave, they would then set the western edge 8 hours east of where it is now.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 12:13 PM by Turtle Power 98.)
01-04-2024 12:10 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-04-2024 12:10 PM)Turtle Power 98 Wrote:  I also think they fit geographically in the west as a bridge between NMS/UTEP and Sam Houston/LA. Tech. If by chance NMS/UTEP ever leave, they would then set the western edge 8 hours east of where it is now.

I don't think the first sentence here is a thing.

And to whatever extent it might be, the second sentence kind of eliminates it.

My stance is the same - there is no 12th team worth adding (just as there was no 10th or 11th). This is less bad for travel for my school than UMass, but still doesn't give us workable pods or divisions and so to that end probably doesn't really help conference travel as a whole. But then again - nobody would.
01-04-2024 12:16 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
I have heard the same for several months at this point -

I am told that the intention is to see what transpires at the NCAA Convention in January and make sure that all is on the path forward for Tarleton State from the standpoint of legislative changes + continued blessings for their program in their Division I transition.

This is why there has not been a 12th program added or announced yet.

I am a little mixed on it but this school and their university system is pumping in the money to make this occur. Can you imagine being Stephen F Austin or possibly even Abilene Christian and being skipped over/left behind by Tarleton?
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 12:22 PM by TexasTerror.)
01-04-2024 12:21 PM
Advertisement

BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(01-04-2024 12:21 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  I have heard the same for several months at this point -

I am told that the intention is to see what transpires at the NCAA Convention in January and make sure that all is on the path forward for Tarleton State from the standpoint of legislative changes + continued blessings for their program in their Division I transition.

This is why there has not been a 12th program added or announced yet.

I am a little mixed on it but this school and their university system is pumping in the money to make this occur. Can you imagine being Stephen F Austin or possibly even Abilene Christian and being skipped over/left behind by Tarleton?

On target! If all goes well, I would expect an announcement of Tarleton State to CUSA within 30 days following the NCAA Convention next week in Phoenix.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 12:29 PM by BeatWestern!.)
01-04-2024 12:27 PM
WKUApollo Online

Ok. I readily admit that I don't keep up with all the realignment stuff but can someone tell me why we need a 12th and if so, why now? With significan upheaval on the horizon, are we worried someone else will take Tarleton away from us?
01-04-2024 12:38 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I think Tarleton will be a good add in the long run. Just very hard to stomach in the short term. On paper there's a lot to like, but for me personally, and I know I've said this a few times before, it's just hard to stomach the fact that they're basically going to end up FBS without having to do any leg work of their own. Everything is being handed to them by Daddy A&M. From what I can tell the school hasn't organically raised anything to make this work. Meanwhile most recent move ups have had to fund their own facilities, increase attendance, increase salaries and budgets, etc. with their own money and donations earned from the fanbase. What happens if there's a change in the A&M system leadership and all the Daddy A&M money disappears? Heck even SHSU at least won a ton of games in the last decade.
01-04-2024 12:52 PM
Turtle Power 98 Offline
2nd String

(01-04-2024 12:52 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  I think Tarleton will be a good add in the long run. Just very hard to stomach in the short term. On paper there's a lot to like, but for me personally, and I know I've said this a few times before, it's just hard to stomach the fact that they're basically going to end up FBS without having to do any leg work of their own. Everything is being handed to them by Daddy A&M. From what I can tell the school hasn't organically raised anything to make this work. Meanwhile most recent move ups have had to fund their own facilities, increase attendance, increase salaries and budgets, etc. with their own money and donations earned from the fanbase. What happens if there's a change in the A&M system leadership and all the Daddy A&M money disappears? Heck even SHSU at least won a ton of games in the last decade.

I'd still take a chance on Tarleton rather than UMass who is 24-112 in FBS football. The other schools like Abilene Christian and SFA simply aren't ready for FBS at the current time.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 02:01 PM by Turtle Power 98.)
01-04-2024 02:00 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

Yuck! The A&M System is already moving their funds to more future-focused schools in Fort Worth, Commerce & South Texas (Corpus/Kingsville). Adding Tarleton would be a foolish move. They bring NOTHING to the table. Nada.

I will be shocked if they get the call for the next slot over UMass.
01-04-2024 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(01-04-2024 12:38 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  Ok. I readily admit that I don't keep up with all the realignment stuff but can someone tell me why we need a 12th and if so, why now? With significan upheaval on the horizon, are we worried someone else will take Tarleton away from us?

I did not want to expand past 10 schools; was so-so on getting to 10 to begin with.

My gut is that the TV deal does not get impacted by the addition(s) and each of the new schools get the same amount of money. The TV folks wanted more inventory particularly for mid-week football games.

A school like Tarleton or a school like McNeese (ugh!) are always going to be there; so there had to be an impetus for why this move. If it is Tarleton, I got to assume the UMass route did not go according to plan and Tarleton was the best positioned both geographically and trajectory-wise compared to the rest.
01-04-2024 02:51 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
UMass and CUSA have both said there was no rush. Our BOT meets April 10th. The goal is a whole strategic plan, stadium expansion, and G5 conference home.

Sent from my SM-G990U using CSNbbs mobile app
01-04-2024 03:40 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
This “discussion” has been ongoing in every realignment thread since October 2021, when Thamel reported that CUSA had reached out to NMSU, SHSU, Tarleton and McNeese as it was bleeding schools.

We’re in a much better spot than we were two years ago, when Judy and Co. reportedly saw Tarleton and Eastern Kentucky presentations in Frisco and declined to invite them after adding KSU. Why add Tarleton now, when we have even more options and fewer spots?

Every reliable source that’s reported on expansion (Brown, Vannini, Thamel) seems to think UMass is the likeliest addition. Tarleton must be the backup plan once again. You’d have to think leadership would need to see a rift with multiple potential schools to add Tarleton. No rival conference is a threat to add them, and they don’t move the needle in the short term.

Agree with most of the responses here, Tarleton is a tough sell, especially for those who claim Texas favoritism. Hell I think the purple school a couple hours east of them is a better expansion option but that’s probably a dead horse.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 03:52 PM by EatEmUp11.)
01-04-2024 03:51 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
I will say, I don’t like the idea of Tarleton being added (even over UMASS which I’ve been against). However, this is the same person that I heard about Delaware from and they are way more tied into our AD than I am. I’m hoping they’re wrong but my gut is saying they probably aren’t.
01-04-2024 06:45 PM
WKUApollo Online

(01-04-2024 06:45 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I will say, I don’t like the idea of Tarleton being added (even over UMASS which I’ve been against). However, this is the same person that I heard about Delaware from and they are way more tied into our AD than I am. I’m hoping they’re wrong but my gut is saying they probably aren’t.

If this is the case, I'm betting the UMass to CUSA chances are gone because if I were UMass I'd be waiting for the ACC to be gutted and make a move to the new ACC/AAC when that happens.
01-04-2024 06:54 PM
Advertisement

EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
(01-04-2024 06:45 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I will say, I don’t like the idea of Tarleton being added (even over UMASS which I’ve been against). However, this is the same person that I heard about Delaware from and they are way more tied into our AD than I am. I’m hoping they’re wrong but my gut is saying they probably aren’t.
Not doubting the reliability of your source, just think it’s a curious contradiction when things seem to be trending in the direction of UMass.

From The Athletic’s article on CUSA’s rebirth:

“After getting to nine members, the league took its time with expansion, favoring schools with success and infrastructure in place. It wants to get to 12 members. UMass is the top option, but only as an all-sports member, which remains a hurdle to the school’s loyalty of being a founding member of the Atlantic-10 conference (Vannini).”

That quote with leadership’s views on “success and infrastructure” leads me to believe that TSU wouldn’t be viewed favorably for expansion by CUSA. But maybe UMass is going in a different direction. Maybe Missouri State is still lukewarm on FBS. CUSA should not rush into anything.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 07:11 PM by EatEmUp11.)
01-04-2024 07:04 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU

I'm not afraid to doubt your source (no offense to you).

IMO--this is questionable. Now the person may be honest and think they have the whole story--but may not.

Is this just the recycled rumor by play by play man Chip Walters? He said the same thing about six(?) weeks ago.

A LOT of people knew about Delaware and there were strong inferences on them--weeks before (Delaware beat writer, etc.)--so IMO knowing about that does not necessarily give them credibility.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 07:49 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
01-04-2024 07:26 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

We DO know this.

In published reports by national media (The Athletic, Matt Brown, Extra Points) UMASS has been directly named as the most likely candidate for any addition.

Could they be wrong? YES. But they have evidence to point toward UMASS--from multiple sources--or they would NOT report such. That's their livelihood.

Also UMASS has made NO denials and has booster support for such a move. It's either stay INDY or CUSA--they have no other choice. Their President and AD in a recent public interview talked about improvements and the goal to find a conference.
01-04-2024 07:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Original Post--"Tarleton is not an if they get added but when."

This statement can still be Very True--but does not mean they are the NEXT ADD.

They may have been told they will get an invite eventually--as they are one of the VERY TOP candidates.

IMO they are in the top three. If some school says "No" then the Texans quickly move up the ranks.

ALSO---IF CUSA decides to go to 14 (hope Not)----then they are 100% added.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024 09:13 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
01-04-2024 07:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.