Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stetson Gamethread
Bookmark and Share
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Stetson Gamethread
I suspect this will be a get right game for the UC offense. Stetson is a pretty decent offensive team and an absolutely abysmal defensive team (kind of the opposite of Merrimack in that respect).

Interesting note about Stetson... they did win at UCF this year, and their two starting guards are shooting 96% and 95% from the free throw line. The guy shooting 96% is weirdly only shooting 19% from 3. Their main wing also is shooting 93% from the FT line. Stetson actually leads the country in free throw percentage.

12-22-2023 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
RE: Stetson Gamethread
(12-22-2023 09:06 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I suspect this will be a get right game for the UC offense. Stetson is a pretty decent offensive team and an absolutely abysmal defensive team (kind of the opposite of Merrimack in that respect).

Interesting note about Stetson... they did win at UCF this year, and their two starting guards are shooting 96% and 95% from the free throw line. The guy shooting 96% is weirdly only shooting 19% from 3. Their main wing also is shooting 93% from the FT line. Stetson actually leads the country in free throw percentage.

Hopefully this does not bite the Bearcats in the rear end. The D has been a lot about people blowing by UC defenders and either fouling or giving up fairly easy shots. Against the lower ranked teams UC has been fortunate that a lot of those shots haven't fallen but as the quality improves that will not continue. Let's hope CWM and staff have started to fix some of the defensive woes. The other thing that has needs addressed IMO, is the leaking out once a shot goes up to start a fast break going the other way. Again, against shorter, less talented teams that will work. Against similar talent or aggressively hustling teams (Howard, X, UD) that will present problems.

Hoping for a boring, predictable UC blowout to lead into conference play

12-22-2023 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I know I've put this in several thread now but I'm going to continue to do so until I see something happening.

I want to see guys filling roles.

Steve Logan was never on the floor to dish out assists. AD Jackson wasn't in there for offense. Terry Nelson wasn't on the floor to shoot threes.

They all knew what they were in the game to do.

This year's team reminds me of the old church league basketball days. Run up and down the court and hope somebody gets hot.

We can't have Skillings be our best player at Howard and then a total disaster at Xavier. Wes needs to get it to the point that when these guys get in the game they know exactly what they're out there to do... other than run down the court and chuck up a 3.

12-22-2023 11:49 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-22-2023 10:04 AM)Cal1362 Wrote:  
(12-22-2023 09:06 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I suspect this will be a get right game for the UC offense. Stetson is a pretty decent offensive team and an absolutely abysmal defensive team (kind of the opposite of Merrimack in that respect).

Hopefully this does not bite the Bearcats in the rear end. The D has been a lot about people blowing by UC defenders and either fouling or giving up fairly easy shots. Against the lower ranked teams UC has been fortunate that a lot of those shots haven't fallen but as the quality improves that will not continue. Let's hope CWM and staff have started to fix some of the defensive woes. The other thing that has needs addressed IMO, is the leaking out once a shot goes up to start a fast break going the other way. Again, against shorter, less talented teams that will work. Against similar talent or aggressively hustling teams (Howard, X, UD) that will present problems.

Hoping for a boring, predictable UC blowout to lead into conference play

Yes, an appropriate outcome on ugly sweater night to send Bearcat fans home with good cheer--still wearing ugly sweaters.

12-22-2023 11:49 AM
bearcatmark Offline

(12-22-2023 11:49 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I know I've put this in several thread now but I'm going to continue to do so until I see something happening.

Steve Logan was never on the floor to dish out assists. AD Jackson wasn't in there for offense. Terry Nelson wasn't on the floor to shoot threes.

This year's team reminds me of the old church league basketball days. Run up and down the court and hope somebody gets hot.

We can't have Skillings be our best player at Howard and then a total disaster at Xavier. Wes needs to get it to the point that when these guys get in the game they know exactly what they're out there to do... other than run down the court and chuck up a 3.
I would dispute this. Lo did it all. Great passer who uc needed to get a lot of assists his last 2 seasons in particular.

12-22-2023 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(12-22-2023 12:49 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(12-22-2023 11:49 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I know I've put this in several thread now but I'm going to continue to do so until I see something happening.

I would dispute this. Lo did it all. Great passer who uc needed to get a lot of assists his last 2 seasons in particular.

This is where stats are misleading.

Yes Logan may have had assists, but that was not his role. How many of his assists came from dishing off when teams shifted their defenses when he got the ball???

The scouting report on him was not about his ball handling. Logan's role was to score.

12-22-2023 01:10 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

(12-22-2023 01:10 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  This is where stats are misleading.

Yes Logan may have had assists, but that was not his role. How many of his assists came from dishing off when teams shifted their defenses when he got the ball???

The scouting report on him was not about his ball handling. Logan's role was to score.

We're just going to disagree on this one. Logan's role was basically to make the offense work. He was the best scorer and best shooter on the team, no doubt. He was great getting to the rim and finishing (crazy for his size). But a huge part of his role was as a facilitator. It's what made him so special. That he could be elite in so many facets.

12-22-2023 02:07 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Big foam Stetson promo to the first 5000 in the door to drum up fan interest.

[Image: 5e562e218fe22c6576fa81f4a73eb1f5--norm-m...acters.jpg]

12-22-2023 02:13 PM
bearcatmark Offline

The schedule was fine if it had a real MTE. It didn't, so it was lacking, and it's probably a negative, but it's also a unique year where them team wasn't going to have two key players early. That combined with plenty of opportunities in conference doesn't have me worrying too much about the schedule. I wish it had been better, but as long as this isn't a trend in the years to come it's fine.

12-22-2023 02:17 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-22-2023 02:13 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Big foam Stetson promo to the first 5000 in the door to drum up fan interest.

[Image: 5e562e218fe22c6576fa81f4a73eb1f5--norm-m...acters.jpg]

Turd Ferguson…funny name

12-22-2023 02:59 PM
Tim Biddle Away
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati baby!
It's the kind of game you don't want to overlook. It's a big game because there are no small games. The coaches know that, so for Cincinnati I think they want to jump on them early and make Stetson chase them.

Stetson has a lot of ability but they want to be more confident as the game wears on. They want to hang in there and try to win the game in the last few minutes.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 06:38 PM by Tim Biddle.)
12-22-2023 06:38 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Lakhin starts every gamel like this. No hustle. Go after the rebound!

12-22-2023 07:06 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

Jamille Reynolds is dominating, doesn't look like Stetson has an answer.

12-22-2023 07:20 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
The current lineup is hustling and giving great effort. Looking much better.

12-22-2023 07:22 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
They should have done the big foam hat giveaway.

12-22-2023 07:44 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

Of the two guys getting more minutes tonight and last game because of injuries, Reed has looked good, Ody has been terrible.

12-22-2023 08:16 PM
Advertisement

skyblade Offline
1st String

Lakhin and Reynolds together are hard to stop. Two big men who can play offense looks a lot different than one big who can play offense and another who can only score on dunks.

Now if only we could get some stops.

12-22-2023 08:36 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
22 FTs given up at home to Stetson?

Mark was 100% spot on when he said UC can’t play defense without fouling

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 08:41 PM by Billy_Bearcat.)
12-22-2023 08:39 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Another rousing effort against a team with 3 wins against D2 and NAIA programs.

12-22-2023 09:02 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-22-2023 09:02 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Another rousing effort against a team with 3 wins against D2 and NAIA programs.

We’ve lost the Bearcat brand

12-22-2023 09:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.