Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCLA coach Chip Kelly's radical college football plan
unalions Online
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
UCLA coach Chip Kelly's radical college football plan
Bruins head man urges Amazon, Nike sponsorships, revenue sharing, paying players, national schedules

From D1.ticker:

UCLA Football HC Chip Kelly believes Notre Dame is set up the way all college programs should be: namely, as independents in football and in respective leagues for other sports. “I think we should all be independent in football and you can have a 64-team conference in the Power 5 and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of 5.” Kelly goes on to explain: "We separate it and we play each other. You can have the West Coast teams and every year we play seven games against the West Coast teams and then we play the East and play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Virginia. Then the next year you play against the South while you still play your seven teams. You can play a seven-game schedule and play four against another division opponent. And you can always play against one Mountain West opponent every year so that we can keep those rivalries going." Kelly also believes that by signing a national TV contract and selling sponsorships there is a pathway to sharing revenue with players. “I think if you went together collectively as a group and said there's 132 teams and we all share the same TV contract…that's a lot of games and there's a lot of people in the TV world that would go through it. You can sponsor each one, instead of calling it Group of 5 and Power 5, you can call it Amazon, Nike, bid that out to things. You can do a lot of things. … And the schools should be paying the players because the players are what the product is and the fact that they don't get paid is really the biggest travesty."

https://footballscoop.com/news/ucla-coac...tball-plan
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023 12:34 PM by unalions.)
12-18-2023 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: UCLA coach Chip Kelly's radical college football plan
64 + 64 = 128, Chip

Interesting that he should tout the "Power 5" label. Perhaps he wants to revive the Pac in this new structure.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023 12:37 PM by Nerdlinger.)
12-18-2023 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
On the one hand, humans generally crave order, logic and simplicity at a macro level. Kelly’s proposal is just another iteration of the 4 16-team power conference proposals that were advocated as nauseum up until a couple of years ago.

Yet, humans also generally act rationally in their own self-interests at a micro level. As a result, conference realignment has been a lot of different individual conferences and schools making a lot of different individual decisions that are good for them at a micro level yet cause total disorder, chaos and complications at the macro level.

The proverbial horse is out of the barn. The Big Ten and SEC aren’t walking back the revenue that they just gained by consolidating power into a smaller number of schools. As I’ve said repeatedly here, either adapt or die.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2023 12:46 PM by Frank the Tank.)
12-18-2023 12:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(12-18-2023 12:46 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  On the one hand, humans generally crave order, logic and simplicity at a macro level. Kelly’s proposal is just another iteration of the 4 16-team power conference proposals that were advocated as nauseum up until a couple of years ago.

Yet, humans also generally act rationally in their own self-interests at a micro level. As a result, conference realignment has been a lot of different individual conferences and schools making a lot of different individual decisions that are good for them at a micro level yet cause total disorder, chaos and complications at the macro level.

The proverbial horse is out of the barn. The Big Ten and SEC aren’t walking back the revenue that they just gained by consolidating power into a smaller number of schools. As I’ve said repeatedly here, either adapt or die.

Adaption might literally be a major tech giant coming into the market and wrangling something like this.

So many people here—not you necessarily—have this notion that ESECPN and the Big FOX are going to gobble "worthy programs" and exist stagnantly, in perpetuity. This is where the order comes into play. It's like people believe there has EVER been an end game in college football lol. It's the greatest fantasy there is!
12-18-2023 03:44 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Conference consolidation could ultimatley lead to what Kelly is pitching. We just went from 5 to 4, honestly 2, power conferences. When its time to go to 1 you will get your uniformity.
12-18-2023 04:09 PM
Glenn360 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
fans whose identity is tied to their conference won't like this.
12-18-2023 04:19 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
This throws out regionality pretty much completely. You just have random schedules. Maybe more in your region, but other games around the country.
Somebody from the heart of Big 10 or SEC country would not come up with such a plan.
12-18-2023 05:05 PM
Advertisement

EdwordL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KU, WVU
(12-18-2023 05:05 PM)bullet Wrote:  This throws out regionality pretty much completely. You just have random schedules. Maybe more in your region, but other games around the country.
Somebody from the heart of Big 10 or SEC country would not come up with such a plan.

Kelly did suggest playing 7 teams in your vicinity/region, then playing 4 or 5 teams from another region (East in his example for a West Coast team--Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, etc.), then the following year, playing those outside your region (in the south for instance).
12-18-2023 05:26 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Not going work. A lot of programs spent money to try and be part of the power conferences, and you have schools that have beaten P5 teams that would be in the 64.

Delaware beat Michigan
Utah beat Alabama
Boise State beat Georgia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Virginia
UCF beat Auburn
Fresno State, Colorado State, Air Force, San Diego State, UNLV, Wyoming all have beaten P5 schools that would be in the 64.
Cincinnati beat Rutgers
USF beat Rutgers
I can name even more. The issue is not all P5 teams are not on the same league with other P5 schools, but some of the G5 schools are in league with the P5 schools on the field.
12-18-2023 05:40 PM
Eggszecutor Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nebraska
(12-18-2023 12:33 PM)unalions Wrote:  Bruins head man urges Amazon, Nike sponsorships, revenue sharing, paying players, national schedules

From D1.ticker:

UCLA Football HC Chip Kelly believes Notre Dame is set up the way all college programs should be: namely, as independents in football and in respective leagues for other sports. “I think we should all be independent in football and you can have a 64-team conference in the Power 5 and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of 5.” Kelly goes on to explain: "We separate it and we play each other. You can have the West Coast teams and every year we play seven games against the West Coast teams and then we play the East and play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Virginia. Then the next year you play against the South while you still play your seven teams. You can play a seven-game schedule and play four against another division opponent. And you can always play against one Mountain West opponent every year so that we can keep those rivalries going." Kelly also believes that by signing a national TV contract and selling sponsorships there is a pathway to sharing revenue with players. “I think if you went together collectively as a group and said there's 132 teams and we all share the same TV contract…that's a lot of games and there's a lot of people in the TV world that would go through it. You can sponsor each one, instead of calling it Group of 5 and Power 5, you can call it Amazon, Nike, bid that out to things. You can do a lot of things. … And the schools should be paying the players because the players are what the product is and the fact that they don't get paid is really the biggest travesty."

https://footballscoop.com/news/ucla-coac...tball-plan

But then the B1G and SEC would have to share the money.
12-18-2023 06:37 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
In Chip Kelly's dream world, sounds like in his dream 64-team power conference, he wants a PAC-8 division that includes Ore St and Wash St. So that probably means his dream 8-team division would be:

UCLA, USC, Stan, Cal, Ore, Ore St, Wash, Wash St
12-18-2023 06:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-18-2023 05:26 PM)EdwordL Wrote:  
(12-18-2023 05:05 PM)bullet Wrote:  This throws out regionality pretty much completely. You just have random schedules. Maybe more in your region, but other games around the country.

Kelly did suggest playing 7 teams in your vicinity/region, then playing 4 or 5 teams from another region (East in his example for a West Coast team--Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, etc.), then the following year, playing those outside your region (in the south for instance).

As I said.
12-18-2023 06:38 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(12-18-2023 12:36 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  64 + 64 = 128, Chip

Interesting that he should tout the "Power 5" label. Perhaps he wants to revive the Pac in this new structure.

Without saying it, he knows that they are teams that don't belong in FBS. Hence why the math is off.
12-18-2023 06:44 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-18-2023 06:44 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(12-18-2023 12:36 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  64 + 64 = 128, Chip

Without saying it, he knows that they are teams that don't belong in FBS. Hence why the math is off.

Some of the P5 teams don't belong because they don't want to change like Notre Dame and Northwestern.
12-18-2023 06:47 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(12-18-2023 05:40 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Not going work. A lot of programs spent money to try and be part of the power conferences, and you have schools that have beaten P5 teams that would be in the 64.

Delaware beat Michigan
Utah beat Alabama
Boise State beat Georgia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Virginia
UCF beat Auburn
Fresno State, Colorado State, Air Force, San Diego State, UNLV, Wyoming all have beaten P5 schools that would be in the 64.
Cincinnati beat Rutgers
USF beat Rutgers
I can name even more. The issue is not all P5 teams are not on the same league with other P5 schools, but some of the G5 schools are in league with the P5 schools on the field.

What happens on the field only matters so much
12-18-2023 06:48 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(12-18-2023 06:38 PM)goofus Wrote:  In Chip Kelly's dream world, sounds like in his dream 64-team power conference, he wants a PAC-8 division that includes Ore St and Wash St. So that probably means his dream 8-team division would be:

UCLA, USC, Stan, Cal, Ore, Ore St, Wash, Wash St

Whose isn't? Players, coaches and fans want regional, round-robin conferences or divisions within a conference.
12-18-2023 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.