Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bethune-Cookman at Chicago State
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Bethune-Cookman at Chicago State
Wednesday, December 20, 7 PM. Link to the livestream is on Chicago States online schedule.

Chicago State faced B-C last season and lost by 13 in one of the Cougars disappointing showings of the season.

Bethune-Cookman is 5-5, 3-5 versus D1 teams and have won 2 out of their last 3. They last played December 9, so they should be well rested. Chicago will have played 4 games in that same time frame.

Bethune opened the season with a 20 point loss to Minnesota, and several of their losses have been to fairly strong teams that may not be recognized for their quality NET rankings, with 8-1 Longwood ranking 81, and 9-1 Purdue-Fort Wayne at 74. They also lost to Lamar, 220. Their wins are versus Charleston Southern (NET 347), Incarnate Word (315), and South Carolina State (331). The 3 teams have a combined 5 wins.

But they have largely taken care of business versus teams closer to bottom of the NET. They currently rank ahead of Chicago State by a few spots, 298 compared to Chicago States 303 as of today.

I think Chicago will handle them at home with the way the Cougars are coming together, but Cookman isn’t a pushover and the Cougars will still have to show up.

The Valpo win was important for a few reasons. First, it avoided the dreaded let down loss that often comes after a big upset win. And building momentum and confidence are a big part of establishing a winning culture. And a win against B-C would be nice so Chicago can head to Wisconsin on a 4 game winning streak! The Badgers are 17 in the NET right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2023 06:13 PM by Todor.)
12-17-2023 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Bethune-Cookman at Chicago State
Definitely a game that we can and need to win.
12-18-2023 08:46 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Here is Bethune-Cookman’s roster. Notice they have way more Chicago kids than Chicago State, and few kids from Florida. Meanwhile, nearly all of Chicago States roster is from Florida, with basically one or two guys from Chicago.

https://bcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

B-C’s coach Reggie Theus is a former New Mexico State coach, and later at CSUN.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2023 09:41 AM by Todor.)
12-19-2023 09:36 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Nice looking crowd.
12-20-2023 09:09 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

Ugliest game I’ve seen in a while. Cougars get their 4th in a row and can move on to the next game.
12-20-2023 10:46 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Looking at the stats, I’m disappointed in Wesley Cardet, but even more so the coaches. It isn’t good to let him play like he did tonight. Running no offense, except throwing it to the left wing, then back to Cardet, he then spends 10 seconds dribbling and trying to stare a defender down, and then drives 25 feet into the lane where everyone on the court has collapsed, and heave up a prayer shot.

That’s bad basketball. And it doesn’t work. Cardet was 5/19 from the field and took 40% of the shots for the entire team. CSU has capable scorers. They need to run some sets and get other people involved, because half of the scoring the rest of the team did tonight was on offensive rebounds from missed Cardet shots. When you take out the other 4 players on offense and make it 1 on 5, you get 25% shooting. And most of those shots were from 2 feet.

And by doing too much himself, he ended up with 7 turnovers. When a team like B-C is known for forcing lots of turnovers, Chicago needed to game plan an offense to help minimize those turnovers. Instead, they fell right into the trap of sloppy play and wasted possessions.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 06:12 AM by Todor.)
12-20-2023 11:19 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I think the best part of this game was seeing a decent crowd in the stands. This was probably the biggest crowd in a long time.

I know Bethune Cookman had a good crowd at the game, with a good number of Chicago/Midwest kids on their roster, but you could hear how many people were there for the Cougars. A nice dunk in the second half brought out a roar from the crowd that isn’t heard enough at JCC.

The home crowds should continue to grow as the team improves.
12-21-2023 06:35 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I figure quite a few were there to see the team that beat Northwestern.
12-21-2023 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.