Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Army vs. Navy ever go international?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Would Army vs. Navy ever go international?
I mean I'm half joking, I know it'll never happen but both have bases around the world, especially Army. It would serve as a great distraction and taste of home life for those deployed overseas. Granted, it may ruffle the feathers of the home country but some are cooler than others.

Like I said, it won't happen but just throwing it out there.
12-13-2023 03:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: Would Army vs. Navy ever go international?
Football, probably not, but what about olympic sports such as basketball and baseball/softball, one of the 2 games/series is US based while the other is international.
12-13-2023 06:28 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Not the worst idea in the world. I think it would work in football as a one time thing. I don’t know what country would be the best host. However, I could see a bunch of people in this country getting up in arms about it if they did.
12-13-2023 06:43 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-13-2023 06:43 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  Not the worst idea in the world. I think it would work in football as a one time thing. I don’t know what country would be the best host. However, I could see a bunch of people in this country getting up in arms about it if they did.

I can’t see it in another country when *Foxboro* was a lengthy trip for this game by historical standards. I don’t think they ever want to move it out of the Northeast in this country (and specifically the NYC/Philly/Baltimore/DC corridor), much less an entirely different country.
12-13-2023 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
The larger issue is deciding when this game will actually be played with respect to the expanded playoff. Move in back to noon ET and then have double/triple header later that evening? Heisman Award? It is a rather boring Saturday as of now. I would have watched the game had I not made plans with the fam. Missed a good one.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2023 07:53 AM by RUScarlets.)
12-13-2023 07:53 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2023 07:53 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The larger issue is deciding when this game will actually be played with respect to the expanded playoff. Move in back to noon ET and then have double/triple header later that evening? Heisman Award? It is a rather boring Saturday as of now. I would have watched the game had I not made plans with the fam. Missed a good one.

At least as of now, it isn’t an issue. The powers that be clearly want a bye week between the CCGs and the first round of the CFP, so Army-Navy still has that weekend in between to itself. I’m fairly certain we’ll end up seeing some lower level bowl games moved to that date, too, but not playoff games.

Also, while we can sit here and say, “Army and Navy aren’t ever making the playoff, so we can play playoff games on the same day as the Army-Navy Game,” the reality is that *could* make the playoff even if it’s a very low probability. The powers that be simply won’t structurally foreclose playoff access to them or move game times around (as the entire purpose of the expanded CFP is to sell specific TV time slots to extract maximum revenue). Either Army-Navy stays on its current protected weekend or moves back to rivalry week in the regular season, but it won’t be on the same day as playoff games.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2023 08:14 AM by Frank the Tank.)
12-13-2023 08:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
If it merely involved two normal football traveling parties (players, coaches, band, etc.), they could play in a place with heavy US military presence (and a stadium) such as Frankfurt.

The Army-Navy game, though, involves the entire student body of both academies. Both student bodies are transported to the site of the game. It's one of the biggest military festivities of the year. The pre-game march is a big part of the festivities. The game is part of the academy experience. It's not the same as sending just the Navy football team to Dublin to play Notre Dame.

In 1983, the game was played in Pasadena, CA. It involved flying the entire student bodies of both academies to the West Coast via military transport. It would seem frivolous to do that today, especially to another country overseas. There is a preference to keep the game within a bus trip of the academies.

I would also think the security risk would be greater to have a large US military event overseas.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2023 09:36 AM by johnintx.)
12-13-2023 09:35 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(12-13-2023 09:35 AM)johnintx Wrote:  If it merely involved two normal football traveling parties (players, coaches, band, etc.), they could play in a place with heavy US military presence (and a stadium) such as Frankfurt.

The Army-Navy game, though, involves the entire student body of both academies. Both student bodies are transported to the site of the game. It's one of the biggest military festivities of the year. The pre-game march is a big part of the festivities. The game is part of the academy experience. It's not the same as sending just the Navy football team to Dublin to play Notre Dame.

In 1983, the game was played in Pasadena, CA. It involved flying the entire student bodies of both academies to the West Coast via military transport. It would seem frivolous to do that today, especially to another country overseas. There is a preference to keep the game within a bus trip of the academies.

I would also think the security risk would be greater to have a large US military event overseas.

Great points, I think the costs involved in properly securing such an enticing target outside the US make this a very interesting idea that just isn't feasible.
12-13-2023 10:56 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(12-13-2023 07:46 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-13-2023 06:43 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  Not the worst idea in the world. I think it would work in football as a one time thing. I don’t know what country would be the best host. However, I could see a bunch of people in this country getting up in arms about it if they did.

I can’t see it in another country when *Foxboro* was a lengthy trip for this game by historical standards. I don’t think they ever want to move it out of the Northeast in this country (and specifically the NYC/Philly/Baltimore/DC corridor), much less an entirely different country.

Toronto could work, we could use it as a ruse before our actual full scale invasion!
12-15-2023 12:43 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
(12-13-2023 08:10 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I’m fairly certain we’ll end up seeing some lower level bowl games moved to that date, too, but not playoff games.

The NCAA-defined regular season calendar would have to be changed for that to happen. Any FBS teams could play a regular season game on the second weekend in December, only two choose to do so.
12-15-2023 01:24 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

Regarding going international, the cost of sending 8000-9000 cadets and midshipmen to the game would not be small.
12-15-2023 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2023 01:24 PM)BeatNavy Wrote:  
(12-13-2023 08:10 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I’m fairly certain we’ll end up seeing some lower level bowl games moved to that date, too, but not playoff games.

The NCAA-defined regular season calendar would have to be changed for that to happen. Any FBS teams could play a regular season game on the second weekend in December, only two choose to do so.

My understanding is that a proposal to allow for bowl games to be played that early is in flight. I just haven’t heard anything about it for months.
12-15-2023 01:35 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

(12-15-2023 01:35 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

My understanding is that a proposal to allow for bowl games to be played that early is in flight. I just haven’t heard anything about it for months.

Just wanted to be clear that this can't happen without NCAA legislation.

I like to think that the NCAA (i.e. the schools) like to maintain the facade that they care just enough about education that they wouldn't push bowl games even earlier into December.
12-16-2023 07:42 AM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(12-13-2023 07:46 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

I didn't get to go to the game but I was in LA in 1983 when the game was played at the Rose Bowl Thanksgiving weekend. It had rained the days before and you could see the blimp over the stadium all the way from I-5.
12-16-2023 09:04 AM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
Germany and Japan would be the only countries where the Army-Navy game could be played that would draw a crowd, if it even happens at all in the future.
12-16-2023 07:30 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Online
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Nah. I think this game is best served being played in a cold northeastern NFL stadium.
12-16-2023 07:48 PM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(12-16-2023 07:48 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  Nah. I think this game is best served being played in a cold northeastern NFL stadium.

I agree. American football, regardless of the level of play, should be played in AMERICA.
12-16-2023 07:49 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2023 07:42 AM)BeatNavy Wrote:  
(12-15-2023 01:35 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Just wanted to be clear that this can't happen without NCAA legislation.

I like to think that the NCAA (i.e. the schools) like to maintain the facade that they care just enough about education that they wouldn't push bowl games even earlier into December.

That’s understood - the proposal was indeed for NCAA legislation for earlier bowl games (e.g. more than just an idea or hypothetical being batted around).

On your second point, I don’t see how allowing bowl games would be different than where schools can technically play a regular season game on that Army-Navy date if they wanted to do so. I think the powers that be want to let Army-Navy have that date, but also see it as the last non-NFL Saturday of the year and want to maximize the value to the extent possible (knowing that it won’t be putting playoff games there).
12-17-2023 10:29 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(12-16-2023 07:49 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(12-16-2023 07:48 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  Nah. I think this game is best served being played in a cold northeastern NFL stadium.

I agree. American football, regardless of the level of play, should be played in AMERICA.

I think it should be played wherever the participants wish to play.
12-17-2023 10:39 AM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Could be cool but not a lot of places where it could be hosted safely.
12-17-2023 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.