Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cincinnati vs Xavier Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
MyBB Cincinnati vs Xavier Game Thread
Sorry Tim Biddle. You need to sit this one out. I'll stake my claim on this one.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 09:39 PM by UCGrad1992.)
12-05-2023 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: Cincinnati vs Xavier Game Thread
[Image: KfSxsDh.gif?noredirect]

12-05-2023 09:41 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Bearcats lead the overall series 51-38.

Last 10: 2-10 Cincinnati

80-77 Xavier - Fifth Third Arena
83-63 Xavier - Cintas Center
77-69 Xavier - Fifth Third Arena
73-66 Xavier - Cintas Center
62-47 Cincinnati - Fifth Third Arena
89-76 Xavier - Cintas Center
86-78 Cincinnati - Fifth Third Arena
65-55 Xavier - Cintas Center
59-57 Xavier - Fifth Third Arena
64-47 Xavier - US Bank Arena

12-05-2023 09:48 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
If I were a casual observer of college basketball I would say a UC win Saturday would be a "no brainer". After watching just the final few minutes of X sleepwalking through a loss to the Blue Hens on replay earlier this morning, I'd believe there would be no way the Mouseketeers can compete with this year's Bearcats.

But, alas, I've witnessed too many of these Shootouts to expect an outcome different from so many in recent decades. Even under HOF Coach Huggins and Mick's successful tenure here it's had unexpected plot lines most every year.

12-06-2023 07:52 AM
Tim Biddle Away
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati baby!
Well, it's a really big game. And coaches will say "well, they're all big games," and that's true. There are no little games. But some games just matter more and this is one of them. Cincinnati comes in with an edge, but people are going to say, "well you can't win in Xavier's gymnasium," but you can win in Xavier's gymnasium. You can't be intimidated. You have to play with poise. And you have to play with patience. You have to be careful with the ball, and you have to play great defense.

12-06-2023 08:02 AM
The Big O Offline
Special Teams

(12-06-2023 07:52 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  If I were a casual observer of college basketball I would say a UC win Saturday would be a "no brainer". After watching just the final few minutes of X sleepwalking through a loss to the Blue Hens on replay earlier this morning, I'd believe there would be no way the Mouseketeers can compete with this year's Bearcats.

But, alas, I've witnessed too many of these Shootouts to expect an outcome different from so many in recent decades. Even under HOF Coach Huggins and Mick's successful tenure here it's had unexpected plot lines most every year.

On the other hand, they went toe to toe with Houston. Hard to say which team will show up Saturday.

12-06-2023 08:40 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
They have more talent than the team that lost two home buy games, but aren't as good as the Houston result, which I largely view as a Cintas result.

Xavier got back into that game after being down 14 because for 5 minutes in the second half the refs called 10 fouls on Houston and 1 on Xavier. The lead evaporated during that stretch. I also don't think Houston did a good enough job attacking Xavier's weakness, which is interior defense.

Oakland and Delaware both crushed Xavier, getting whatever they wanted at the rim. I think part of that is Xavier didn't have the effort and intensity they showed in their bigger games...but the other part is Xavier doesn't have high major quality bigs.

That said. Xavier has some very talented (though inconsistent) wings, and I think Olivari is excellent. I view Xavier as an NIT type team. It's hard to beat NIT type teams on the road...it's especially hard in a rivalry game where their arena will be insane and they'll likely get a healthy majority of the calls.

UC can win (I even think they should win), but kenpom has the game as about a coin flip, which is to say, this is no gimmie.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023 08:47 AM by bearcatmark.)
12-06-2023 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BcatMatt13 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I think Xavier’s close games with Houston and Purdue can be explained. Mark did a good job of outlining why they were able to compete with Houston. As for the Purdue game…I don’t think that was as close as the final score but I also think the fact that it was somewhat close can be attributed to how Purdue had no film on xavier. Xavier has a brand new team and that was the third game…meanwhile Purdue has mostly the same team. Xavier had a year’s worth of film to watch and game plan with. Purdue really didn’t have anything.

It’s not unlike Wes’s first year when UC beat a top 15 Illinois team by 20 and then almost beat a top 15 Arkansas team the next night. New coach…new players…the opposing team had nothing to game plan for, while UC did (especially against Illinois who returned most of their team that year). But after that, once film got out on UC, teams were able to game plan better and the losses started to pile up.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023 09:18 AM by BcatMatt13.)
12-06-2023 09:17 AM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Xavier hung with Houston because this isn't the Houston team we know. They aren't big and bruising on the inside. X doesn't have the big men to compete with UC and that's how UC needs to attack them. X can match UC's guard and wing play. Need big games out of Vik, Ody and Aziz. The wild card is going to be either Simas or Skillings. If UC gets big games out of one or both of those guys along with strong performances by the big men, UC walks away with it.

It's time for the 22 year Cintas losing streak to END!

12-06-2023 09:33 AM
BcatMatt13 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-06-2023 09:33 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  Xavier hung with Houston because this isn't the Houston team we know. They aren't big and bruising on the inside. X doesn't have the big men to compete with UC and that's how UC needs to attack them. X can match UC's guard and wing play. Need big games out of Vik, Ody and Aziz. The wild card is going to be either Simas or Skillings. If UC gets big games out of one or both of those guys along with strong performances by the big men, UC walks away with it.

It's time for the 22 year Cintas losing streak to END!

Until Vik and Aziz both have two fouls 6 minutes into the game.

12-06-2023 09:59 AM
bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
I fully expect somebody on the Xavier roster to have the game of their life and shoot 7-9 from 3.

12-06-2023 10:39 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2023 10:39 AM)bww Wrote:  I fully expect somebody on the Xavier roster to have the game of their life and shoot 7-9 from 3.

Maybe it's UC's turn to have Simas or CJ scorch it from outside the arc. Turnabout is fair play and even better if it means X will have lost four straight @ Cintas.

12-06-2023 10:54 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(12-06-2023 10:39 AM)bww Wrote:  I fully expect somebody on the Xavier roster to have the game of their life and shoot 7-9 from 3.

Look out for Trey Green (guy who UC passed on currently shooting 29%), Davion McKnight (career 29% 3pt shooter) or Desmond Claude (career 27% 3pt shooter) to have a 6/6 from 3 out of body experience on Saturday.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023 11:45 AM by BearcatMan.)
12-06-2023 11:44 AM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
UC rising, XU falling. Sets up perfectly to exorcise some demons.

I have been to several Shootouts at Cintas over the years, and I think after each one I vowed never to do that to myself again. Might go back on that once more. This one could be fun.

12-06-2023 12:22 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(12-06-2023 12:22 PM)levydl Wrote:  UC rising, XU falling. Sets up perfectly to exorcise some demons.

I have been to several Shootouts at Cintas over the years, and I think after each one I vowed never to do that to myself again. Might go back on that once more. This one could be fun.

Much respect for venturing into that den of thieves, brood of vipers.
04-cheers

12-06-2023 12:51 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I call upon...

Bearcats#1

...to come out of posting retirement on Saturday for this game thread. We need his karma to change the trajectory at Cintas.

Remember when he would post the bag over the head in threads LOL?

12-06-2023 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

This is the most excited I've ever been for this game. I've liked Wes from day one and hopefully this will be his coming out party.

12-06-2023 01:28 PM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats

That could happen, as it seems it does, and UC can overcome it with this team. Too many weapons. UC by 7. Not sure if a spread is listed yet.

12-06-2023 01:49 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(12-06-2023 01:49 PM)Kyle Mack Wrote:  

That could happen, as it seems it does, and UC can overcome it with this team. Too many weapons. UC by 7. Not sure if a spread is listed yet.

I suspect the spread will be around a pickem.

12-06-2023 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(12-06-2023 01:55 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(12-06-2023 01:49 PM)Kyle Mack Wrote:  

I suspect the spread will be around a pickem.

I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case. I'm guessing UC -6 and moves up to -8 by game time.

12-06-2023 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.