Matt Brown
12-05-2023 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: Matt Brown
Don't have a premium account TOPSTRAIGHT? Perhaps you can PM me.

Free from extrapoints, Matt Brown.
Quote:Let’s talk about UMass
It makes perfect sense for fan speculation to immediately turn to UMass. The Minutemen are a bus ride away from Delaware, share meaningful FCS football history, and are similar institutions (academically selective, state flagships, etc). The UMass athletic administration has also been clear that the school does not want to be an FBS independent long-term, and views securing a conference invite to be critically important.

Multiple industry sources have told me that during their conversations with Conference USA, Delaware indicated that they would be very happy about UMass potentially joining the conference, although Delaware’s invite and interest in CUSA were in no way dependent on anything happening one way or another in Amherst. I’m also told that UMass would be receptive to continued conversations with CUSA.

But is anything imminent? Is anything going to be announced this calendar year?

I’m told….no. And here’s why.

Real quick, even though I’m turning on the paywall below, let me just offer this for any UMass fan readers. Do not panic. Enjoy your holiday season. I am not trying to play with your emotions. Again, do not panic. What is below this paywall fold is not bad news. It is just regular ol’ news.

But consistent to what people post and a fan on UMasshoops.(not this year, 30 days). Like to hear the rational for now.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 09:38 AM by Steve1981.)
12-05-2023 09:24 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
From D1.ticker:

Extra Points’ purveyor Matt Brown wonders who could be the 12th member of Conference USA, should the league want to add more teams. On the possibility of UMass, Brown doesn’t expect that to happen in the immediate future: “Part of this is simply a function of the calendar. Conference realignment decisions are driven by presidents, not ADs, and the dirty little secret is that with so many senior academic leaders traveling (or just out) around the end of the Fall academic term and the holiday season, it’s harder to get major decisions approved before the end of the year. I’ve also been told that the A10 doesn’t have a bylaw that would prohibit UMass from participating in conference tournaments if they were to hypothetically announce a conference change this season. Industry sources have told me that UMass would owe a four million dollar exit fee if they announced an A10 departure for the 2025-2026 season before the summer, and a five million exit fee if they announced after July. … For what it’s worth, multiple industry sources have also told me that any future conference additions for Conference USA are expected to be for all sports, and not football-only affiliate memberships.”
12-05-2023 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2023 09:34 AM)unalions Wrote:  From D1.ticker:

Extra Points’ purveyor Matt Brown wonders who could be the 12th member of Conference USA, should the league want to add more teams. On the possibility of UMass, Brown doesn’t expect that to happen in the immediate future: “Part of this is simply a function of the calendar. Conference realignment decisions are driven by presidents, not ADs, and the dirty little secret is that with so many senior academic leaders traveling (or just out) around the end of the Fall academic term and the holiday season, it’s harder to get major decisions approved before the end of the year. I’ve also been told that the A10 doesn’t have a bylaw that would prohibit UMass from participating in conference tournaments if they were to hypothetically announce a conference change this season. Industry sources have told me that UMass would owe a four million dollar exit fee if they announced an A10 departure for the 2025-2026 season before the summer, and a five million exit fee if they announced after July. … For what it’s worth, multiple industry sources have also told me that any future conference additions for Conference USA are expected to be for all sports, and not football-only affiliate memberships.”

The exit fee is an increase as remember 2M less than 1 year notice and then 1M.

Thanks unalions on the info about the presidents and Blue Raider Dave for posting the link.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 09:57 AM by Steve1981.)
12-05-2023 09:40 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

For what it’s worth, multiple industry sources have also told me that any future conference additions for Conference USA are expected to be for all sports, and not football-only affiliate memberships.”

That, at least, is a relief.
12-05-2023 09:58 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2023 09:58 AM)inutech Wrote:  

For what it’s worth, multiple industry sources have also told me that any future conference additions for Conference USA are expected to be for all sports, and not football-only affiliate memberships.”

That, at least, is a relief.

Thanks for not being negative and for what it's worth, our Men's basketball has a NET #94. We should not have lost to Harvard in OT. Lots of missed free throws and then having the freshman point guard in during OT. He made a couple of mistakes, as I've been told, but gain experience.

Email has arrived from Don Brown, but still waiting on the sit down email.
"Be on the lookout for a sit-down interview with Chancellor Javier Reyes and Director of Athletics Ryan Bamford where they will discuss all things related to UMass Athletics and the Football Program. The video will be sent to athletics donors, along with football alumni and season ticket holders first!"
[Image: %7B127581e4-d6d7-41a0-94ba-f9f1c75a2871%...AI4E3.jpeg]
This is from the Hunt Hospitality Suite. Jay Burnham is sitting towards the terrace and you can see a small slice of the stadium West, home side.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 10:09 AM by Steve1981.)
12-05-2023 10:03 AM
Advertisement

R40 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Prairie View A&M
Clearly not a whole lot of interest coming from UMass and this has largely understandably been pushed by Delaware. The issues with leaving the A10, which is not particularly attractive to begin with, are obviously an issue as is their football schedule which is filled through 2027.

Maybe down the line they might look at it.

It seems the target will now be Tarleton but they are in no rush for that but we know conferences do not like odd numbers.

The move is beginning to look more like a move to get Delaware in the league as the future replacement for Liberty to make the league more stable. They wanted in. They were attractive and maybe could land you UMass.
12-05-2023 10:36 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(12-05-2023 10:36 AM)R40 Wrote:  Clearly not a whole lot of interest coming from UMass and this has largely understandably been pushed by Delaware. The issues with leaving the A10, which is not particularly attractive to begin with, are obviously an issue as is their football schedule which is filled through 2027.

It seems the target will now be Tarleton but they are in no rush for that but we know conferences do not like odd numbers.

The move is beginning to look more like a move to get Delaware in the league as the future replacement for Liberty to make the league more stable. They wanted in. They were attractive and maybe could land you UMass.

Matt covered that in the article.

Other than terminating some future football contracts (most of which have no-fault termination clauses over conference realignment), there isn’t anywhere nearly as much administrative work to do compared to Delaware, Kennesaw State, or other schools reclassifying.
12-05-2023 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
R40 Offline
Banned

(12-05-2023 11:33 AM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-05-2023 10:36 AM)R40 Wrote:  Clearly not a whole lot of interest coming from UMass and this has largely understandably been pushed by Delaware. The issues with leaving the A10, which is not particularly attractive to begin with, are obviously an issue as is their football schedule which is filled through 2027.

Matt covered that in the article.

Other than terminating some future football contracts (most of which have no-fault termination clauses over conference realignment), there isn’t anywhere nearly as much administrative work to do compared to Delaware, Kennesaw State, or other schools reclassifying.

Yes, this is not an issue for UMass. The $$$ are the issue. You don't make nearly as much money if you do not have those schedules. There is no reason to walk away from them. It is not attractive.
12-05-2023 11:38 AM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
I am feeling pretty positive about UMass joining CUSA in all-sports. Nothing set in stone of course, but an awful lot of smoke. I am sure seeing a "peer" in Delaware join helps. Also seeing NMSU go from languishing in independence to a CCG in CUSA helps too. I am just happy that we are adding programs that are committed to all-sports (especially hoops) and not just football.
12-05-2023 11:56 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Yes--I have the premium subscription, Steve, --been busy-just now having time to post.

A LOT to Unload here! Some of these things we knew--SOME we did Not.

BROWN'S points and Quotes:

-- CUSA will eventually go to 12 or 14

-- Delaware just a bus ride from UMASS

--Delaware would be Very Happy--but their joining CUSA was NOT dependent on UMASS

--UMASS receptive to "continued conversations"

--NOTHING happening (if then) till late January or even late Spring (various reasons)

-- UMASS fans are told to relax and enjoy the Holidays

-- 4M dollar exit fee from A10 if done by June 30th-IF UMASS joined it would be for 2025-26-ALL SPORTS

--most FB contracts have NO termination fee--not near as much admn. work to be done as with Del.

-- NO RUSH

-- UCONN is a "no go" in any way

-- CUSA will ONLY Add ALL-SPORTS Schools

--Missouri St., EKU, Tarleton listed as other possibles

-- MAC is unlikely to pursue expansion with ANYBODY in the near future

OK. Now here are MY brief conclusions and Opinions>> A very crafty article. He said a lot without even coming close to saying whether UMASS would join or not.

More conclusions in another post.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 12:10 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
12-05-2023 11:58 AM
Advertisement

inutech Offline
All American

(12-05-2023 11:56 AM)freshtop Wrote:  -- NO RUSH

Three silver linings in the pitch dark CUSA realignment clouds.
12-05-2023 12:04 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2023 11:58 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Yes--I have the premium subscription, Steve, --been busy-just now having time to post.

A LOT to Unload here! Some of these things we knew--SOME we did Not.

BROWN'S points and Quotes:

-- CUSA will eventually go to 12 or 14

-- Delaware just a bus ride from UMASS

--Delaware would be Very Happy--but their joining CUSA was NOT dependent on UMASS

--UMASS receptive to "continued conversations"

--NOTHING happening (if then) till late January or even late Spring (various reasons)

-- UMASS fans are told to relax and enjoy the Holidays

-- 4M dollar exit fee from A10 if done by June 30th-IF UMASS joined it would be for 2025-26-ALL SPORTS

--most FB contracts have NO termination fee--not near as much admn. work to be done as with Del.

-- NO RUSH

--Missouri St., EKU, Tarleton listed as other possibles

-- MAC is unlikely to pursue expansion with ANYBODY in the near future

OK. Now here are MY brief conclusions and Opinions>> A very crafty article. He said a lot without even coming close to saying whether UMASS would join or not.

More conclusions in another post.

Thanks for the info TOPSTRAIGHT!
12-05-2023 12:19 PM
freshtop Online
All American

(12-05-2023 12:04 PM)inutech Wrote:  
(12-05-2023 11:56 AM)freshtop Wrote:  -- NO RUSH

Three silver linings in the pitch dark CUSA realignment clouds.
While I didn't write those things. I do agree with them.
12-05-2023 12:19 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

In the overall realignment world we can get some more important news from this article.

The RUMOR about Tarleton joining in late January which made no sense--is NOT true.

They may still wind up in our league one day---but NOT next month--and maybe not for a long, long while.

UMASS (Not Tarleton) is clearly the #1 target for CUSA right now. IF, if added they would be#12 and at that point IMO CUSA would Pause anymore additions (unless we lost a school).

The NDSU/SDSU add as FB-onlys is DEAD. Not happening-- as CUSA will have all-sports adds ONLY.

Nothing is occurring in "MAC Land". They are not seeking to add at this time. I predict four years or longer till they consider again--barring some major upheaval.

Still on the list (by Brown)--Missouri St., Tarleton, and EKU. IMO I would add SFA to the list.

Notice we have see NO denial by UMASS in any of this. Also no rebuttal from any other sources in Massachusetts. It is NOT a done deal by any means--but IMO much closer than ever before. But again--it might never happen.

The interviews with the Chancellor and AD are yet to come out. I would not be surprised for those interviews to be Totally non-committal. They may be trying to "ease" into this change--especially with those in Amherst who are on the fence.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 12:52 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
12-05-2023 12:47 PM
R40 Offline
Banned

UMass is not in any position to need to deny anything because there is nothing coming from there. There was a lot of smoke from Delaware. Still no signs that UMass is interested at all except for maybe some introductory talks to kick the tires.

This is so far pure speculation that UMass might join CUSA based on the knowledge they are interested in being in a conference.
12-05-2023 01:10 PM
Advertisement

inutech Offline
All American

Tech's AD is pretending that someone named "we" is excited about the new additions and that the ADs haven't discussed a 12th team yet. Anyone buying that? Either part?

https://www.rustonleader.com/sports/qa-e...eep-cumbie
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Just a reminder that UMass has games contracted with Liberty running from next year all the way up to 2027. Obviously if they joined CUSA those games would be given back to the league like the NMSU-Liberty games that had been contracted for years. In other words, that is one less obstacle for them in have to manage.

I am actually good with this move at this stage. They would certainly be more attractive than Tarleton or SFA in spite of my Texan residency. And frankly, UMass is doing more to invest in their program than Missouri State has over the past few years. Yes, Missouri State has some history in hoops and a strong baseball program. But they continue to have nothing to brag about in regard to football. Even the guys north of Atlanta had strung together at least a few decent seasons in the Big South before they were selected.
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Here is my list--NOT in alphabetical order. MY opinion of where these schools RANK in the minds of CUSA decision makers:

#1--UMASS Minutemen

(If UMASS is added there may not be another add for a while--but if there is--it is most certain to come from WEST of the Mississippi)

#2-- Missouri St. (have been reluctant--but are changing Presidents; CUSA has been "efforting" the Bears for a good while)

#3-- Tarleton-- willing--"ready" to join

#4-- TIE-- EKU and SFA---Lumberjacks significantly behind Tarleton at this point--but will eventually close the gap. EKU goes back up near the top---IF UMASS declines.

CUSA could stay at 12 with a UMASS add---BUT... they will Not turn down Mo. St..

Mo. St. could also be #12--IF UMASS declines

IF BOTH join then>>>CUSA would go to Fourteen and then add from Texas (probably Tarleton buy maybe SFA).
12-05-2023 01:11 PM
inutech Offline
All American

(12-05-2023 01:10 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Just a reminder that UMass has games contracted with Liberty running from next year all the way up to 2027. Obviously if they joined CUSA those games would be given back to the league like the NMSU-Liberty games that had been contracted for years. In other words, that is one less obstacle for them in have to manage.

You know, that seems like a lot of work. What if we waited for now so that neither team has to go through the trouble of looking for new games.

Liberty, this is the kind of conference mate that I am. I want to save you from inconvenience.
12-05-2023 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.