Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida Gulf Coast Thread
Bookmark and Share
Tim Biddle Away
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati baby!
MyBB Florida Gulf Coast Thread
I think Florida Gulf Coast is playing scared. They worry too much. They have to let it go and go play because they're not as good as they used to be. They still have good parts. The have some players who are a little shaky, but they have players you can throw the ball to.

On defense, they have to worry about running. Anytime you play the Bearcats you have to worry about how they run. They need their best players to play defense.

The Bearcats are a more balanced team. They've brought about a new offense. You never know who is going to score. You can throw it to the open guy. They have big physical players who can play defense too.

12-03-2023 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

skyblade Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Florida Gulf Coast Thread
I know it's a blowout, but their big man Kellman is giving us problems.

Aziz getting pushed around by his strength, as is Ody.

If we had Reynolds, I'd expect him to be able to come in and put a stop to it. Hope his waiver comes soon.

12-03-2023 02:11 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Nice bounce back game for our guards so far from the Howard game.

12-03-2023 02:17 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

I doubt this is a popular opinion, but we might be better without Simas. Two bigs and Skillings at the 3 brings so much length to rebound and defend and it's a lineup that's still pretty capable on offense as well. Reed isn't a big drop-off in length/athleticism either, if only he could shoot.

Jizzle James is gradually proving himself better than Day Day.

12-03-2023 02:23 PM
BearcatMan Offline

Lakhin not having to play 33 minutes a night is doing wonders for him. Looks fresh, having great all around games left and right.

12-03-2023 02:24 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

Lakhin 19 points (tied for team lead), 6 assists (team leader), 9 rebounds (2nd) and 0 TO's. He's doing it all.

12-03-2023 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Tim Biddle Away
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati baby!
The Bearcats played well. They are gaining confidence.

12-03-2023 03:33 PM
BcatMatt13 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-03-2023 02:23 PM)skyblade Wrote:  I doubt this is a popular opinion, but we might be better without Simas. Two bigs and Skillings at the 3 brings so much length to rebound and defend and it's a lineup that's still pretty capable on offense as well. Reed isn't a big drop-off in length/athleticism either, if only he could shoot.

UC is definitely not better without Simas

12-03-2023 06:01 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(12-03-2023 02:23 PM)skyblade Wrote:  I doubt this is a popular opinion, but we might be better without Simas. Two bigs and Skillings at the 3 brings so much length to rebound and defend and it's a lineup that's still pretty capable on offense as well. Reed isn't a big drop-off in length/athleticism either, if only he could shoot.

Simas has the second highest assist rate on the team. He's shooting50% from two, 35% from three. He doesn't turn it over. He always seems to make the right decision and is a zone crusher. He doesn't foul. He's been fine on defense.

According to Evan Miya he's been in uc's best 3 man, 4 man and 5 man lineup. Simas is a big time player and a, great fit for this team.

12-03-2023 06:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(12-03-2023 11:45 AM)Tim Biddle Wrote:  I think Florida Gulf Coast is playing scared. They worry too much. They have to let it go and go play because they're not as good as they used to be. They still have good parts. The have some players who are a little shaky, but they have players you can throw the ball to.

On defense, they have to worry about running. Anytime you play the Bearcats you have to worry about how they run. They need their best players to play defense.

The Bearcats are a more balanced team. They've brought about a new offense. You never know who is going to score. You can throw it to the open guy. They have big physical players who can play defense too.

Is there a point to letting this thing continue to post that I am not aware of?

12-03-2023 07:06 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats

Not only not popular, but not factual as well. Nice job! 2 for 2.

12-03-2023 07:08 PM
Advertisement

skyblade Offline
1st String

(12-03-2023 06:23 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Simas has the second highest assist rate on the team. He's shooting50% from two, 35% from three. He doesn't turn it over. He always seems to make the right decision and is a zone crusher. He doesn't foul. He's been fine on defense.

According to Evan Miya he's been in uc's best 3 man, 4 man and 5 man lineup. Simas is a big time player and a, great fit for this team.

He struggled on defense against Howard and in some other cases. I think of him as a much higher basketball intelligence (but also slightly less athletic) Davenport. He's not mobile enough to guard quick guards and not physical enough to guard bigger guys.

Vik mentioned in the post conference that part of getting out and running is trusting other guys to rebound. When Newman or Skillings are at the 3 (plus 2 bigs in Ody/Vik/Aziz) there are always two very good to elite rebounders even if one of the positions leaks out. With Simas at the 3, that's not the case. Simas is bad at rebounding, on this team only Fredrick is worse.

Of course his offensive ability is undeniable. But he also doesn't put pressure on the defense off the drive like Skillings does. Of course he also doesn't make nearly as many mistakes as Skillings.

I generally prefer athletes and as we play better competition, Simas's lack of athleticism is likely to stand out more and more. Maybe his offensive ability is good enough to compensate. As Skillings continues to improve, there's definitely an argument that Skillings and Newman should be the two main guys playing the 3 (especially if/when Reynolds gets a wavier).

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 07:46 PM by skyblade.)
12-03-2023 07:08 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Mostly I like Simas but he was getting abused on defense against Howard.

12-03-2023 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(12-03-2023 02:11 PM)skyblade Wrote:  I know it's a blowout, but their big man Kellman is giving us problems.

Aziz getting pushed around by his strength, as is Ody.

If we had Reynolds, I'd expect him to be able to come in and put a stop to it. Hope his waiver comes soon.

Was at the game today and had a great view of Reynolds. Dude is huge and looks like a man. At first I thought he was a 25 year old GA.

12-03-2023 08:06 PM
The Big O Online
Special Teams

I know it was garbage time and only a couple of minutes, but Tolentino looked completely lost out there. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone after this year.

12-03-2023 09:43 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2023 09:43 PM)The Big O Wrote:  I know it was garbage time and only a couple of minutes, but Tolentino looked completely lost out there. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone after this year.

As I recall, he made a brief appearance late in the Georgia Tech blowout and seemed to really struggle to get into the flow at all.

The conventional wisdom is that these young men have often grown so fast it takes more time for them to adjust and refine their skills at a high major level. Wes must be betting that's the case here. As I recall, he had interest from other schools at the high major level. On this year's team, we may have the luxury of letting him watch and learn against our three other talented bigs if he's still considered a reliable future option.

12-04-2023 08:36 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(12-03-2023 09:43 PM)The Big O Wrote:  I know it was garbage time and only a couple of minutes, but Tolentino looked completely lost out there. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone after this year.

Yeah...either he stays as a guy who just wants to play in Cincinnati, or he transfers...I don't think he'll see much of the court for UC in his career. Speaking of transfers, I wouldn't be surprised to see CJ Anthony hit the portal if he doesn't have a scholarship next year, he is absolutely a D1 caliber scholarship player, but he could be another one who is fine with paying the tuition to have the experience of being on a Big 12 team.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023 08:49 AM by BearcatMan.)
12-04-2023 08:48 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(12-04-2023 08:48 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yeah...either he stays as a guy who just wants to play in Cincinnati, or he transfers...I don't think he'll see much of the court for UC in his career. Speaking of transfers, I wouldn't be surprised to see CJ Anthony hit the portal if he doesn't have a scholarship next year, he is absolutely a D1 caliber scholarship player, but he could be another one who is fine with paying the tuition to have the experience of being on a Big 12 team.

I think he'll stick around. He's been a D1 player since Day 1. Not your typical walk-on. Seems to love UC.

12-04-2023 08:51 AM
skyblade Offline
1st String

Sage has been out for a while with an injury (was injured soon after the Detroit Mercy game, which is the last time he got in), presumably hasn't been practicing either. Him looking lost shouldn't be a surprise.

He moves quite well for his size and pre-season report was he is quite skilled on offense. Defense, rebounding and learning to be physical is likely his issue.

If he's willing to be a 10-15 minute per game guy next year and likely start as a junior and senior he'll stick around. If he wants more minutes quicker, he'll transfer down to a small school.

12-04-2023 09:19 AM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
I missed this game, so I have no thoughts there. This is the shortest game thread in a long time. I've had several friends text me recently about how good the Bearcats are. The buzz is beginning. Winning the Shootout would really get the casual fans interested in this team.

12-04-2023 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.