Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future Hype Songs?
Bookmark and Share
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
Future Hype Songs?
Once stadium is built and we have a real sound system. What entrance hype songs are on the short list? VT has Sandman, S. Carolina has Sandstorm. We need a banger.

AC/DC? Van Halen? Rush? Tool?
11-20-2023 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Future Hype Songs?
Gogol Bordello.
11-20-2023 05:14 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

I really wish we wouldn't just "do something like everyone else does but pick a different song." You see this everywhere in sports marketing - if an idea succeeds anywhere, it is quickly adopted everywhere, to the point where it adds nothing to the game and is just another thing the team buys to keep up with the joneses.

If we simply can't be a competitive football team with out our own version of Enter Sandman, well, okay. But it sure seems like "everyone else has Air Jordans, so we'll never be taken seriously without our own" to me.
11-20-2023 05:15 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
when / where did this current chant come from? Never heard it at JMU before

https://twitter.com/Michael_2Clutch/stat...7767110842

how SWEET is this footage?
11-20-2023 05:21 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(11-20-2023 05:21 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  when / where did this current chant come from? Never heard it at JMU before

I've heard it a lot over the years.

https://youtu.be/z5LW07FTJbI?t=7

to my previous point, the obsession with blasting recorded music over the speakers tends to squelch this kind of stuff.
11-20-2023 05:30 PM
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

(11-20-2023 05:15 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I really wish we wouldn't just "do something like everyone else does but pick a different song." You see this everywhere in sports marketing - if an idea succeeds anywhere, it is quickly adopted everywhere, to the point where it adds nothing to the game and is just another thing the team buys to keep up with the joneses.

If we simply can't be a competitive football team with out our own version of Enter Sandman, well, okay. But it sure seems like "everyone else has Air Jordans, so we'll never be taken seriously without our own" to me.

It’s fun. You’re not.
11-20-2023 05:34 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(11-20-2023 05:30 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  
(11-20-2023 05:21 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  when / where did this current chant come from? Never heard it at JMU before

I've heard it a lot over the years.

https://youtu.be/z5LW07FTJbI?t=7

to my previous point, the obsession with blasting recorded music over the speakers tends to squelch this kind of stuff.

thasnk!
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2023 05:38 PM by bcp_jmu.)
11-20-2023 05:36 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(11-20-2023 05:34 PM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  
(11-20-2023 05:15 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I really wish we wouldn't just "do something like everyone else does but pick a different song." You see this everywhere in sports marketing - if an idea succeeds anywhere, it is quickly adopted everywhere, to the point where it adds nothing to the game and is just another thing the team buys to keep up with the joneses.

It’s fun. You’re not.

It's not like I'm saying we need to read bible verses. Just look at our game day experience - were we the first to have a blow-up mascot out of which the players run? Nope.
Were we the first with smoke machines? Nope.

And yet the one other comment was the kids yelling zombie nation, which while it's a common stadium tune, at least seems to have happened spontaneously.

But if "we copy what everyone else does" is what you call fun, then I hope it brings you joy. It's probably what we'll end up doing anyway.

I just think it makes us look unoriginal and herd-following.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2023 05:41 PM by 94computerguy.)
11-20-2023 05:40 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

It should be organic. Enter Sandman was organic and ESPN made it famous when Tech was good under Beamer. Anything that didn’t evolve organically feels contrived.

I haven’t complained about it for a while, but I can’t stand marching bands. Including JMU’s, which is heresy. But I get that orchestral versions of “Start Wearing Purple” are unique and different, and I’d prefer stuff like that over AC/DC.

(My marching band hangup goes back to my childhood. I was probably bullied by a sousaphonist or something.)
11-20-2023 09:06 PM
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

(11-20-2023 09:06 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  It should be organic. Enter Sandman was organic and ESPN made it famous when Tech was good under Beamer. Anything that didn’t evolve organically feels contrived.

I haven’t complained about it for a while, but I can’t stand marching bands. Including JMU’s, which is heresy. But I get that orchestral versions of “Start Wearing Purple” are unique and different, and I’d prefer stuff like that over AC/DC.

(My marching band hangup goes back to my childhood. I was probably bullied by a sousaphonist or something.)

No sh*t it has to be organic, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it. This thread is supposed to be fun and a distraction from waiting for the AG. Y’all kinda suck lately. My guess is every is so tightly wound from this waiver process we can’t even have fun anymore. Kinda ruined what was an amazing season. Anyway, going to delete this tomorrow, it’s been more painful than talking politics at Thanksgiving.
11-20-2023 09:17 PM
Halz87 Offline
1st String

Future Hype Songs?
Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
11-20-2023 09:20 PM
Advertisement

CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

(11-20-2023 05:40 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  
(11-20-2023 05:34 PM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  

It’s fun. You’re not.

It's not like I'm saying we need to read bible verses. Just look at our game day experience - were we the first to have a blow-up mascot out of which the players run? Nope.
Were we the first with smoke machines? Nope.

And yet the one other comment was the kids yelling zombie nation, which while it's a common stadium tune, at least seems to have happened spontaneously.

But if "we copy what everyone else does" is what you call fun, then I hope it brings you joy. It's probably what we'll end up doing anyway.

I just think it makes us look unoriginal and herd-following.

You’re so right. Just like having a mascot, school colors, or a fight song. Unless you’re the first school to do anything, you’re just an unoriginal loser copycat. Damn 1994 must have pushed though a bunch of grumps still crying over Kurt Cobain. 04-rock They serve heroin at D hall back then too?
11-20-2023 09:22 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

(11-20-2023 09:17 PM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  No sh*t it has to be organic, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it. This thread is supposed to be fun and a distraction from waiting for the AG. Y’all kinda suck lately. My guess is every is so tightly wound from this waiver process we can’t even have fun anymore. Kinda ruined what was an amazing season. Anyway, going to delete this tomorrow, it’s been more painful than talking politics at Thanksgiving.

Dude, no one said not to talk about it. Sorry you feel like your Cheerios were pissed in. No one’s trying to do that.

We’re all friends here. Save the ‘tude for the mouth breathers on the SBC board.
11-20-2023 09:22 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(11-20-2023 09:20 PM)Halz87 Wrote:  Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

02-13-banana
11-20-2023 09:33 PM
BJTDukes Offline
Water Engineer

I think we have two solid contenders from the band.
1) As mentioned above, Start wearing Purple is already an amazing and unique song
2) the Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home song that the pep band has played more and more over the years (shoutout to this random Convo version haha)
11-20-2023 09:38 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(11-20-2023 09:38 PM)BJTDukes Wrote:  I think we have two solid contenders from the band.
1) As mentioned above, Start wearing Purple is already an amazing and unique song
2) the Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home song that the pep band has played more and more over the years (shoutout to this random Convo version haha)

Another thing we used to play in the band (sorry Dukes94 - I was in the band. I know it's not for everyone, but it's one of the things that's been a JMU thing for a long time.. people sticking around to watch football is kind of a new development.) was this "chant". It's a ripoff of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon. We used to play it after most scores, but now they're lucky if they get the green light to go more than once a game.

https://youtu.be/pARE8uEcG4o?t=83
11-20-2023 09:46 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

The Convo, not sure if I'd say it started during Brady or Rowe.
11-20-2023 09:55 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
As long as we're pissing in cheerios, we have a football stadium already and a great sound system. This thread sucks.
11-20-2023 09:57 PM
Bill Offline
1st String

11-20-2023 10:12 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-20-2023 05:14 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Gogol Bordello.

Yes!
11-20-2023 10:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.