Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Value of Exposure
Bookmark and Share
boozeNammo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
The Value of Exposure
Over the last few weeks, the level of exposure for the University, the FB program, JMU athletics, the SBC, Harrisonburg and the Commonwealth has been extraordinary. I wouldn't even know where to start with assigning a monetary value to all of this. Was wondering where some of ya'll would place the value (US $$s) at for all of this exposure over that last few weeks (not just ESPN)?

While invaluable or uncalculatable might be the answer, some hard figures might be fun to guess at. $5m? $8m? No clue but thinking more in that $10-15 mil range for me with a large chunk of that assigned to potential student 'access' through these outlets.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023 04:31 PM by boozeNammo.)
11-17-2023 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: The Value of Exposure
(11-17-2023 04:00 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  Over the last few weeks, the level of exposure for the University, the FB program, JMU athletics, Harrisonburg and the Commonwealth has been extraordinary. I wouldn't even know where to start with assigning a monetary value to all of this. Was wondering where some of ya'll would place the value (US $$s) at for all of this exposure over that last few weeks (not just ESPN)?

While invaluable or uncalculatable might be the answer, some hard figures might be fun to guess at. $5m? $8m? No clue but thinking more in that $10-15 mil range for me with a large chunk of that assigned to potential student 'access' through these outlets.

It's in the millions, and probably tens of millions. PR folks will angle for these unpaid or "earned" media opportunities, as opposed to buying 30 second commercials on WHSV. I couldn't give you a precise figure. I don't know what Pat McAfee's people would charge you to have him mention you on his show, even if they did they kind of thing.

Luke Skywalker: "If you were to rescue her, the reward would be..."
Han Solo: "What?"
Luke Skywalker: "Well, more wealth than you can imagine."
Han Solo: "I don't know. I can imagine quite a bit."
11-17-2023 04:08 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

The value of the media attention is nearly incalculable.

What I’m really interested in is how the media attention will boost applications and the impact on recruiting.
11-17-2023 04:10 PM
Advertisement

VBDuke95 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU DUKES!!
(11-17-2023 04:00 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  Over the last few weeks, the level of exposure for the University, the FB program, JMU athletics, the SBC, Harrisonburg and the Commonwealth has been extraordinary. I wouldn't even know where to start with assigning a monetary value to all of this. Was wondering where some of ya'll would place the value (US $$s) at for all of this exposure over that last few weeks (not just ESPN)?

I would think McAffe’s show alone was worth close to $1M.
Holy Sh#t that crowd, Cig, Pat-phenomenal show. A good 45 min of just roasting the NCAA.
11-17-2023 04:10 PM
BJTDukes Offline
Water Engineer

The “Flutie Effect” might not be your exact answer but it was the first thing that popped into my mind

Not sure if monetary outcomes, but big sports events always result in an influx of applications
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023 05:18 PM by BJTDukes.)
11-17-2023 05:18 PM
Advertisement

We Are the Dukes of JMU Offline
Special Teams

(11-17-2023 04:10 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  The value of the media attention is nearly incalculable.

What I’m really interested in is how the media attention will boost applications and the impact on recruiting.

This is what I've been thinking about as well. I hope every JMU sport has every recruit in Harrisonburg this weekend.

It will certainly be interesting to see the impact on applications. Didn't JMU accidentally over-enroll freshman this semester? I assume that's because our yield was higher than anticipated. I had previously wondered whether last year's elevated football profile may have boosted applications and yield. No idea if that's actually the case.
11-17-2023 05:33 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(11-17-2023 05:33 PM)We Are the Dukes of JMU Wrote:  
(11-17-2023 04:10 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  The value of the media attention is nearly incalculable.

This is what I've been thinking about as well. I hope every JMU sport has every recruit in Harrisonburg this weekend.

It will certainly be interesting to see the impact on applications. Didn't JMU accidentally over-enroll freshman this semester? I assume that's because our yield was higher than anticipated. I had previously wondered whether last year's elevated football profile may have boosted applications and yield. No idea if that's actually the case.

Even more so I hope that JMU can capitalize with more alumni donations to both the Duke Club and university at large. If we want to keep moments like this going forward our fundraising efforts need to continue to improve. I know money doesn't equal success but it certainly makes it easier and opens more doors for the school.

I think the previous knock on the school was that we were still "small time"....hard to find much of what I've seen these past two weeks is "small time".
11-17-2023 05:45 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(11-17-2023 05:18 PM)BJTDukes Wrote:  The “Flutie Effect” might not be your exact answer but it was the first thing that popped into my mind

Not sure if monetary outcomes, but big sports events always result in an influx of applications

A good read...thanks - and from the article, now we know the admin is giving this whole event a lot of rope (no walk back statements from ANYONE...) Alger is all in:

"Schools become more academically selective with athletic success."
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023 07:18 PM by bcp_jmu.)
11-17-2023 07:18 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

It cannot be determined. It is all speculation and guesstimation.

However, we know that it is HUGE. The longer JMU stays on this heater, the longer future years will reap the benefits from the current surge in popularity.

Recruiting decisions are being changed
New Donors are lining up for the bandwagon
Current Donors are digging deeper to reward the results.
Our new AD is going to be a higher level candidate now
The Stadium is going to get expanded on a faster timeline

Somebody has to write a book how everything has magically lined up for JMU. It is a story for the ages.
11-17-2023 11:11 PM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

You simply can't calculate the monetary effect, IMO, because the residual will go on forever and snowball.
11-18-2023 12:01 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(11-17-2023 11:11 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  It cannot be determined. It is all speculation and guesstimation.

However, we know that it is HUGE. The longer JMU stays on this heater, the longer future years will reap the benefits from the current surge in popularity.

Recruiting decisions are being changed
New Donors are lining up for the bandwagon
Current Donors are digging deeper to reward the results.
Our new AD is going to be a higher level candidate now
The Stadium is going to get expanded on a faster timeline

Somebody has to write a book how everything has magically lined up for JMU. It is a story for the ages.

Everyone needs to be talking up in their social circles and on social media the need for JMU alumni and fans who are enjoying this to donate whatever they can afford to donate (even if it is just $10/mo or $10 one time) to The Duke Club and Montpelier Collective so that this can keep happening. Greedy me also would encourage them to donate to the pitifully low endowment fund for such a great institution.
11-18-2023 12:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.