Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ponderings After Six years
Bookmark and Share
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
So Tuesday’s game against Akron is Senior Night. That will be Alex’s last home game as an Eastern Michigan Eagle after six years in this program. I will be down on the field with him prior to the game as the seniors are acknowledged. My only regret is that his mom, who passed away in 2015, will not be there to celebrate with us. I already know there will be tears falling from these eyes as I stand on the field.

The seniors also participate in a session with the team after the Senior Night Eagle Walk where they introduce to their teammates someone they feel has had a significant impact on them as a player and a person. Alex has invited me to that session as his person, an honor I will not take lightly. Again, I’m sure the tears will be flowing.

As parents, we have an interesting perspective on the games and the program. We hear all kinds of things from our sons about what is going on: the good and the not-so-good; the joys and the frustrations; the hopes, the dreams, the successes, and the disappointments. Through it all, we watch as our high school boys become young men.

There have been off-field issues where our young men learn some hard lessons, tempered by the program’s community outreach activities where they learn their role as football players is relatively insignificant when compared to the needs and challenges many in this world face each day. They develop a sense of humility and concern for others.

We suffer through their injuries, feel anxiety anytime they make a mistake on the field, and try to temper our pride and enthusiasm when they, and the team, find success. We often bite our tongues in the stands as we hear fans who think they know it all criticize our sons or the coaches for what they perceive to be shortcomings. And we high-five those same fans when it all comes together in a big play and a victory.

Over the six years, this program has had its share of ups and downs. There have been plenty of games we should have won had it not been for “this play” or “that call.” And there have been many games won when the expectations and odds were against the Eagles. That first bowl victory in decades and what it meant to this program will forever be etched in our minds.

As moms and dads, there are the relationships we build with each other and the players’ extended families through week after week and year after year of tailgates and road trips. Taking down the pop-up tent and sliding the portable grill into the back of your vehicle for the last time as a football parent was indeed a bittersweet moment. Thanks to all for the memories and friendships we have built together!

Of course, there is the education our sons gain in the classroom…after all, they are STUDENT athletes. The expectations this program maintains for its players in the classroom are second to none, hence their success year after year in achieving the highest team GPA in their conference. We know the odds our sons will have a professional football career are slim, but the lifetime rewards they will reap from a quality education are invaluable.

There are the coaches and staff who spend countless hours away from their families and homes working with our sons to help them be their best, both as a player and a person. The average fan cannot fully appreciate the commitment these individuals make to our sons. And I’m sure the coaches and staff do not hear often enough how much their efforts are appreciated.

Finally, we are blessed with the fans, alumni, donors, faculty, and university administrators who support EMU athletics and athletes in making this program what it is. Without their support, this program and all the other team and individual sports at EMU would not exist. Thank you for embracing our sons; thank you for cheering them on through the ups and downs; and thank you for making a difference in their lives!
11-10-2023 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Ponderings After Six years
Well stated and I can really understand your feelings.

When I graduated from Wayne State at the tender age of 21, my mother unexpectedly died after I finished classes (March) but before I walked (June). My dad was in the hospital and my developmentally sister didn't come. At my graduation walk were a few aunts and uncles.

These are the times where people really reflect on life...
11-10-2023 12:58 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
(11-10-2023 12:47 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  So Tuesday’s game against Akron is Senior Night. That will be Alex’s last home game as an Eastern Michigan Eagle after six years in this program. I will be down on the field with him prior to the game as the seniors are acknowledged. My only regret is that his mom, who passed away in 2015, will not be there to celebrate with us. I already know there will be tears falling from these eyes as I stand on the field.

The seniors also participate in a session with the team after the Senior Night Eagle Walk where they introduce to their teammates someone they feel has had a significant impact on them as a player and a person. Alex has invited me to that session as his person, an honor I will not take lightly. Again, I’m sure the tears will be flowing.

As parents, we have an interesting perspective on the games and the program. We hear all kinds of things from our sons about what is going on: the good and the not-so-good; the joys and the frustrations; the hopes, the dreams, the successes, and the disappointments. Through it all, we watch as our high school boys become young men.

There have been off-field issues where our young men learn some hard lessons, tempered by the program’s community outreach activities where they learn their role as football players is relatively insignificant when compared to the needs and challenges many in this world face each day. They develop a sense of humility and concern for others.

We suffer through their injuries, feel anxiety anytime they make a mistake on the field, and try to temper our pride and enthusiasm when they, and the team, find success. We often bite our tongues in the stands as we hear fans who think they know it all criticize our sons or the coaches for what they perceive to be shortcomings. And we high-five those same fans when it all comes together in a big play and a victory.

Over the six years, this program has had its share of ups and downs. There have been plenty of games we should have won had it not been for “this play” or “that call.” And there have been many games won when the expectations and odds were against the Eagles. That first bowl victory in decades and what it meant to this program will forever be etched in our minds.

As moms and dads, there are the relationships we build with each other and the players’ extended families through week after week and year after year of tailgates and road trips. Taking down the pop-up tent and sliding the portable grill into the back of your vehicle for the last time as a football parent was indeed a bittersweet moment. Thanks to all for the memories and friendships we have built together!

Of course, there is the education our sons gain in the classroom…after all, they are STUDENT athletes. The expectations this program maintains for its players in the classroom are second to none, hence their success year after year in achieving the highest team GPA in their conference. We know the odds our sons will have a professional football career are slim, but the lifetime rewards they will reap from a quality education are invaluable.

There are the coaches and staff who spend countless hours away from their families and homes working with our sons to help them be their best, both as a player and a person. The average fan cannot fully appreciate the commitment these individuals make to our sons. And I’m sure the coaches and staff do not hear often enough how much their efforts are appreciated.

Finally, we are blessed with the fans, alumni, donors, faculty, and university administrators who support EMU athletics and athletes in making this program what it is. Without their support, this program and all the other team and individual sports at EMU would not exist. Thank you for embracing our sons; thank you for cheering them on through the ups and downs; and thank you for making a difference in their lives!

Thanks for the sharing your thoughts and for all your contributions to the board over these years, cid! As someone with young children it is always helpful to hear those older parents talk about those bittersweet "last" they have their children as they grow up, it reminds me to cherish what they are doing now, and not worry too much about what they might do later.

Please thank Alex for all he has done for the program, he has been a major piece in pushing it forward. As an alum I can Alex (and his teammates through the years) have provided so many great games and memorable moments for me that have made me a proud EMU alum and fan!
11-10-2023 01:49 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(11-10-2023 12:47 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  So Tuesday’s game against Akron is Senior Night. That will be Alex’s last home game as an Eastern Michigan Eagle after six years in this program. I will be down on the field with him prior to the game as the seniors are acknowledged. My only regret is that his mom, who passed away in 2015, will not be there to celebrate with us. I already know there will be tears falling from these eyes as I stand on the field.

Thank you so much for all your insight and knowledge during these past 6 years! I've enjoyed watching him play as well! Does Alex have any professional aspirations going forward? Watching our children grow up is a complete joy, but it's also sad letting them go to fly their wings.....Enjoy this last season, let's beat Akron, and Buffalo, and hopefully make a bowl game!
11-10-2023 01:50 PM
Advertisement

EMUuncle Offline
Water Engineer

Well said cid,

I know the pride of being an uncle of a player for 6 years, can only imagine what it's like as a father.

I can't believe how fast it's all flown by. Seems like opening game 2018 was yesterday. I honestly (and mean no disrespect to anyone here) had barely heard of EMU before Brian committed. So glad he found the place where he was happy and proud to represent. I know he has made life-long friends/brothers here.

Dennis it's been fun being next to you at the tailgates and watching the boys next to each other on the right side. Let's hope they have three more games together.
11-10-2023 02:18 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

Cid, I remember when Alex was mentioned as a recruit and how excited I was to be getting him. He's helped push the program forward, and despite a rough season from the team, I think the higher level look shows success. Thank you for all of your insight and raising a good young man. Cheers, Cid and hopefully you still chime in to the threads and let us know how you guys are doing.
11-10-2023 02:24 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Your son and you have always been a class act. Thank you both for representing this team and EMU in an excellent manner. Best wishes to Alex in his future and to you as well.
11-10-2023 03:20 PM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Thanks to you for sharing these thoughts, and thanks to Alex for giving his all for this school over the years. As an alum, I'm always thankful for the sacrifices players make to put on the jersey and represent our school at as high a level as they can. I can speak for many EMU alums when I say thanks for everything you have put into this program and this school. Welcome, Alex, to the brotherhood of EMU Alumni.
11-10-2023 03:26 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Love you and your son, Syd.

Your namesake once sang “Won’t you miss me? Wouldn’t you miss me at all?”

Yes, we certainly will.
11-10-2023 07:59 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

From to you and your family. I say thank you for sharing this message. It's been great watching your son play for EMU. Go Green Go White Go Eastern.04-rock
11-10-2023 09:55 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

Cid, I can’t thank you enough for your contributions to this board. You blow our minds with how deep your understanding of football is. You must be so proud of Alex! We all appreciate how well he has represented EMU. We will forever be grateful to him, and wish Alex the best possible future!!!
11-10-2023 11:13 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
We have a great tradition of EMU dads on this board TJ Lang Pudge Cotton Justin Moody Maxx Crosby and of course Alex's. Wonder who is next Dad up next season?
11-11-2023 08:36 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Cid,

Thanks for such an awesome post! I’m certainly grateful that your son chose EMU to continue his academic and athletic career! During Creighton’s introductory press conference, he mentioned one of his goals was making each player feel that playing for EMU was one of their most enjoyable experiences during their lifetime. I certainly hope Alex enjoyed EMU as much as we enjoyed having him here!

Go Eagles!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2023 11:16 AM by Luckeyone.)
11-11-2023 11:14 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Thanks for a great post, Cid. Our children have a way of making us proud, that's for sure. I think I was more giddy when my son graduated from EMU than I was for my own graduation. Even prouder when he commisioned as a Lieutenant a week later.

Hopefully you'll stay with us on the board for years to come. Your comments are much appreciated.
11-11-2023 11:33 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Hands down the best contributor on our board. Thanks to you and Alex for everything you do.
11-11-2023 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.