Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week EMU at Toledo November 8 2023
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Game Week EMU at Toledo November 8 2023
Pre game notes were released by EMU yesterday.

Injury wise it looks like Rewolinski and Roman have been hurt. Haney has played in 2 games this season, Evans was out before the season, Sterling Miles has not played a game this season and Javier may out with an injury-all of this is DL related. Merritt missed a few games. We have talked about Peavy and Scott being out. Paaske at TE appears to be out and Mowchan at LB may have an injury.

I've been impressed with White and some of the JUCOs at DB this year. JB Mitchell at WR also has some potential.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2023 08:38 AM by emu79.)
11-04-2023 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week EMU at Toledo November 8 2023
Love my Eagles. Hope I’m wrong.
45-21 Toledo.
11-04-2023 09:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Going O/T but JAX ST driving very late vs, S. Carolina trying to tie or take the lead with 2 minutes left.

OOPS: Jax State QB throws an 87 yard Pick 6.

Upset averted. Jax State is a good team. They already beat Fl State couple years ago.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2023 02:32 PM by emu steve.)
11-04-2023 02:30 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(11-04-2023 02:30 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Going O/T but JAX ST driving very late vs, S. Carolina trying to tie or take the lead with 2 minutes left.

Upset averted. Jax State is a good team. They already beat Fl State couple years ago.

Jax St is good. If they could play Liberty in the CUSA title they would have a shot. NMSU... will likely be that team and I don't have much faith in the Aggies. The fact that EMU scored 0 points vs. Jax St is the problem. I think 7 or 8 MAC teams would have scored on them at least... so is it a good loss? If it was 28-14 or something sure. Getting shut out, meh. Toledos D is starting to click. The backend is a no fly zone with a 1st rounder and some other potential draft picks.
11-05-2023 12:01 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-05-2023 12:01 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-04-2023 02:30 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Going O/T but JAX ST driving very late vs, S. Carolina trying to tie or take the lead with 2 minutes left.

Jax St is good. If they could play Liberty in the CUSA title they would have a shot. NMSU... will likely be that team and I don't have much faith in the Aggies. The fact that EMU scored 0 points vs. Jax St is the problem. I think 7 or 8 MAC teams would have scored on them at least... so is it a good loss? If it was 28-14 or something sure. Getting shut out, meh. Toledos D is starting to click. The backend is a no fly zone with a 1st rounder and some other potential draft picks.

Fans, Toledo always dominates the All-Mac team and has the most potential draft picks. It is the gold standard for talent. Candle, to date, however, has not impressed with his deployment of such talent. Saban, Pinkel, Beckman and Campbell did.
11-05-2023 05:26 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Toledo is a 19.5 point favorite, with an O/U of 46.5.
11-06-2023 08:55 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-05-2023 05:26 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Fans, Toledo always dominates the All-Mac team and has the most potential draft picks. It is the gold standard for talent. Candle, to date, however, has not impressed with his deployment of such talent. Saban, Pinkel, Beckman and Campbell did.

Candle is second in wins all time at UT and only trails Lauturbur for MAC titles... Lots of Candles losses have been from QB injuries which derailed 2018 and 2019. In 2022 you guessed it... Finn missed a bunch of games. Finn has played in all games thus far, and UT is 8-1.
11-06-2023 09:55 AM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2023 09:55 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Candle is second in wins all time at UT and only trails Lauturbur for MAC titles... Lots of Candles losses have been from QB injuries which derailed 2018 and 2019. In 2022 you guessed it... Finn missed a bunch of games. Finn has played in all games thus far, and UT is 8-1.

Wow, Toledo Fan. You get the cookie for today! Congrats to you. You have a good coach who is the highest paid in the MAC and you have a good team. Anything else you'd like a pat on the back for?
11-06-2023 02:58 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2023 02:58 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Wow, Toledo Fan. You get the cookie for today! Congrats to you. You have a good coach who is the highest paid in the MAC and you have a good team. Anything else you'd like a pat on the back for?
Nope, not how this goes. This is a public forum for banter on said topic thread. Jerry claimed Candle hasn't done much with the most talent and titleless Beckman and Campbel did. I attempted to disprove that response.

Last season Mac at CMU was paid more than Candles base salary. So 2023 is the first season Toledo has dished out more money for their HC than the field. Paying him to do what he is, and also to thank him for what he's done to keep him from ND and Miami who have gone after him the past 2 offseasons... is working to this point.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2023 03:14 PM by UofToledoFans.)
11-06-2023 03:12 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-06-2023 03:12 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 12:01 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Jax St is good. If they could play Liberty in the CUSA title they would have a shot. NMSU... will likely be that team and I don't have much faith in the Aggies. The fact that EMU scored 0 points vs. Jax St is the problem. I think 7 or 8 MAC teams would have scored on them at least... so is it a good loss? If it was 28-14 or something sure. Getting shut out, meh. Toledos D is starting to click. The backend is a no fly zone with a 1st rounder and some other potential draft picks.

Nope, not how this goes. This is a public forum for banter on said topic thread. Jerry claimed Candle hasn't done much with the most talent and titleless Beckman and Campbel did. I attempted to disprove that response.

Last season Mac at CMU was paid more than Candles base salary. So 2023 is the first season Toledo has dished out more money for their HC than the field. Paying him to do what he is, and also to thank him for what he's done to keep him from ND and Miami who have gone after him the past 2 offseasons... is working to this point.

Fans, drop the window and let the cold air in to sober up. If Candle had ANY interest and offer from ND or Miami, you CERTAINLY could color him gone. The ONLY speculation of such offers is from an over-aggressive press, it reminds me of those that actually put Creighton on potential P5 hire lists as well. Neither is PJ Fleck or Lance Leipold, they are just decent MAC coaches that are not going anywhere. Sean Lewis has a higher upside potential than either of them.

Candle and Creighton are destined to be the winningest coaches in their respective programs. Why? No larger program is going to poach them.
11-06-2023 07:38 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2023 07:38 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(11-06-2023 03:12 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 05:26 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Fans, Toledo always dominates the All-Mac team and has the most potential draft picks. It is the gold standard for talent. Candle, to date, however, has not impressed with his deployment of such talent. Saban, Pinkel, Beckman and Campbell did.

Fans, drop the window and let the cold air in to sober up. If Candle had ANY interest and offer from ND or Miami, you CERTAINLY could color him gone. The ONLY speculation of such offers is from an over-aggressive press, it reminds me of those that actually put Creighton on potential P5 hire lists as well. Neither is PJ Fleck or Lance Leipold, they are just decent MAC coaches that are not going anywhere. Sean Lewis has a higher upside potential than either of them.

Candle and Creighton are destined to be the winningest coaches in their respective programs. Why? No larger program is going to poach them.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2022/01/19/...nator-job/

There's about 25 links which "report Candle turned down the offer." Over aggressive press? OK man.

And do you think Fleck and Leipold are still in the MAC?????

Sean Lewis just lost his job as the playcaller for Colorado. You may be right about upside because he's young and helped Kent to 5 wins... JC is a very good coach that outrecruits, develops, and keeps our kids on the right track. We lead the league every season in GPA. Don't do that to my man's, JC.
11-07-2023 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear UofToledoFans,
First of all Candle turned down an offensive coordinator job, not head coach. Big difference in demand. So, If Candle is so desirable, why hasn't he been offered jobs as a head coach at P5 programs?
11-07-2023 10:29 AM
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

Don't forget plenty of Toledo fans wanted Candle fired last year too before he won the MAC.
11-07-2023 11:06 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-07-2023 11:06 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Don't forget plenty of Toledo fans wanted Candle fired last year too before he won the MAC.

Some of them have wanted him fired every year.
11-07-2023 11:19 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2023 10:29 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear UofToledoFans,
First of all Candle turned down an offensive coordinator job, not head coach. Big difference in demand. So, If Candle is so desirable, why hasn't he been offered jobs as a head coach at P5 programs?

I never said HC jobs... the ND and Miami jobs were new hires of course it wasn't for the HC. It was still for a pay increase and top tier OC positions in the P5.. Better jobs that what Lewis took at CU. The Midwest didn't have a job come calling yet. Michigan State is the 1st and his name is being thrown around for that job in speculation. WVU would also be a possibility but the Troy dude who is there now probably saved his job with a 6-3 start. Pitt would also be a regional job JC or even Creighton would have interest in. Bottom B1G like Illinois are tough tough jobs and dying propositions for those who take em. Babers took Cuse... it's hard to win 8 games consistently at many jobs like that, when its safer to win in the MAC at a high clip and wait for the right job. Why not take Toledo to multiple title games and get paid at the top of the league? 1.2 mil goes A LONG way in NW Ohio.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 12:34 PM by UofToledoFans.)
11-07-2023 12:32 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2023 11:19 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-07-2023 11:06 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Don't forget plenty of Toledo fans wanted Candle fired last year too before he won the MAC.

Some of them have wanted him fired every year.

The last UT AD retired in 2021 so last season was a show me year for the new AD. 7-5 had JC on edge, but winning the conference and bowl games bought him time. Now he's got it rolling. Even a collapse and another appearance in the MACC at 9-3 won't have JC near the hot seat.
11-07-2023 12:36 PM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

High of low 50's tomorrow. slight chance of rain.

Will be curious to see how our guys respond to 3 games left with 2 wins on the line for bowl eligibility.

Hope we come out firing on offense and sustain some drives.
11-07-2023 05:34 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-07-2023 12:32 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

I never said HC jobs... the ND and Miami jobs were new hires of course it wasn't for the HC. It was still for a pay increase and top tier OC positions in the P5.. Better jobs that what Lewis took at CU. The Midwest didn't have a job come calling yet. Michigan State is the 1st and his name is being thrown around for that job in speculation. WVU would also be a possibility but the Troy dude who is there now probably saved his job with a 6-3 start. Pitt would also be a regional job JC or even Creighton would have interest in. Bottom B1G like Illinois are tough tough jobs and dying propositions for those who take em. Babers took Cuse... it's hard to win 8 games consistently at many jobs like that, when its safer to win in the MAC at a high clip and wait for the right job. Why not take Toledo to multiple title games and get paid at the top of the league? 1.2 mil goes A LONG way in NW Ohio.

You make solid points, except when you speculate about Candle's and Creighton's possible interest in the MSU, WVU or Pitt jobs. Their names are ALWAYS tossed around by the media, just not by the AD's or boosters at Power 5 schools that truly make the decision. Personally, I would be interested in having a relationship with Eva Longoria, but I doubt that acceptance is coming either.

Toledo is unique in the MAC. You have a major metro population with the nearby sports market all to yourselves. Thus, you have the BEST facilities, the BEST fan base, pay coaches the BEST money and get the BEST recruits. In the past you also got the BEST coach (Toledo Tom excluded) as well. Some could say that OSU and Alabama have a lesser built-in conference advantage than Toledo. That is why, to date, you have been such a coaching launching pad.

I must admit, however, that you now have a dream situation. Candle is decent, but he ain't going anywhere, just like Creighton.
11-07-2023 06:30 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Last time I was in Toledo (90s), I was inappropriately and unwillingly fondled by a Toledo assistant coach. Sad thing is that I am now at the age where I would kill for that kind of attention.

Unfortunately, my random story isn’t going to help us win tomorrow. Toledo will win, and they will cover.
11-07-2023 10:41 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2023 06:30 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(11-07-2023 12:32 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

You make solid points, except when you speculate about Candle's and Creighton's possible interest in the MSU, WVU or Pitt jobs. Their names are ALWAYS tossed around by the media, just not by the AD's or boosters at Power 5 schools that truly make the decision. Personally, I would be interested in having a relationship with Eva Longoria, but I doubt that acceptance is coming either.

Toledo is unique in the MAC. You have a major metro population with the nearby sports market all to yourselves. Thus, you have the BEST facilities, the BEST fan base, pay coaches the BEST money and get the BEST recruits. In the past you also got the BEST coach (Toledo Tom excluded) as well. Some could say that OSU and Alabama have a lesser built-in conference advantage than Toledo. That is why, to date, you have been such a coaching launching pad.

I must admit, however, that you now have a dream situation. Candle is decent, but he ain't going anywhere, just like Creighton.

What nearby market is all Toledos? The Buckeyes, Wolverines and Irish are all within 2 hours and 15 minutes?? Toledos facilities are near the top with WMU, funding isn't close to the Broncos, and fan support is near the top as well, but enrollment is about the smallest in the MAC now. The best recruits come because the best coach gets em here... Campbel didn't put near the amount of guys in the NFL as Candle has with even more advantages. Now every school has an IPF...

No school in the MAC is easy to win at. Thats why no one ever repeats as champs, and it's the hardest league to predict every season.

The difference between Toledo and WHO is the same as Ohio State and Indiana or Alabama and Vanderbilt??? I'll wait. That's the worst take I've ever heard on this board. We are all basically the same schools with similar budgets and players. The MACs best recruiting class is ranked like 72nd and worst is 129th. Alabama recruits 1st and Vandy 110th... that's a team in damn Nashville! The mecas dwarf any G5 hierarchy.

Toledo, EMU and Miami are the only winning coaches still here... so if track record holds, they absolutely will be gone eventually. I want JC to stay, but that probably only happens if losses keep him here. A sad goodbye after a 12 team playoff appearance is the dream.
11-08-2023 07:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.