Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hypothetical scenario: Notre Dame caves to B1G and takes Stanford as partner
WAChsenburggemeinde Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Have fun & no injuries
Hypothetical scenario: Notre Dame caves to B1G and takes Stanford as partner
Sorry for starting this thread, but I can't resist.

*B1G Ten stops at 20 w/ Notre Dame and Stanford added
*SEC stops at 20 w/ North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia added
*Both B1G and SEC sign long-term 12 to 15 year TV contracts that are clear in that they will not be paid any more money for adding any additional teams

ACC would be down to 12 teams (NC State, VA Tech, Louisville, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, GA Tech, SMU, Cal)

XII would still be at 16

What happens next?

I think either Cal says we don't want the bad geography any more with the marquee teams gone, and finds a way into the XII with one other team

OR

the XII gets aggressive and goes after 4 teams such as Cal, VA Tech, Pitt, Miami

OR

the XII and the ACC outright merge or form a long-term TV rights alliance and WVU + UCF + Cinci slide to the ACC side and Cal slides to the XII side (14 for each side)

OR

No movement between ACC and XII, so USF and UConn get added to ACC
11-02-2023 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
RE: Hypothetical scenario: Notre Dame caves to B1G and takes Stanford as partner
ND must be forced, they will not cave if they can continue to skirt the rules
11-02-2023 07:38 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Hypothetical scenario: Notre Dame caves to B1G and takes Stanford as partner
We had gone a whole week without another ND discussion.

1. They want to remain independent
2. See above

Pick a different topic.
11-02-2023 08:07 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Well the simple thing would be the Big12 inviting Miami, VT, Pitt and Louisville right off the bat. With discussions of moving from 16 to 20 and then to 24 teams. The Big12 looks to bring in NC State, Duke, Georgia Tech and USF as team 24.

Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, Pitt, VT, Iowa State

Duke, UCF, GT, Miami, USF, NC State

Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor, Houston

Texas Tech, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St

SMU goes to the PAC/MWC after living somewhat the good life in the ACC. The ACC left overs take a portion of the SBC, AAC and CUSA and UConn to stay somewhat relevant.
11-02-2023 10:41 PM
BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
If we're doing hypotheticals how about the B1G boots Michigan and then ND takes their spot?
11-02-2023 11:04 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-02-2023 07:05 PM)WAChsenburggemeinde Wrote:  Sorry for starting this thread, but I can't resist.

*B1G Ten stops at 20 w/ Notre Dame and Stanford added ...

Stanford is not a major rival of Notre Dame, they were more of a convenience in working out the scheduling of the Notre Dame / USC rivalry that allowed Notre Dame to alternate their end of season game between Southern and Northern California.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2023 11:26 PM by BruceMcF.)
11-02-2023 11:25 PM
Advertisement

gwelymernans Offline
2nd String

I Root For: psu
(11-02-2023 11:25 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(11-02-2023 07:05 PM)WAChsenburggemeinde Wrote:  Sorry for starting this thread, but I can't resist.

*B1G Ten stops at 20 w/ Notre Dame and Stanford added ...

Stanford is not a major rival of Notre Dame, they were more of a convenience in working out the scheduling of the Notre Dame / USC rivalry that allowed Notre Dame to alternate their end of season game between Southern and Northern California.

Yeah, I don't think letting UND pick Stanford as a tagalong would do much to induce them to join the B1G (especially since UCLA could be substitute to get them that yearly Cali trip). Maybe if they said, come join w/ Miami/KU/Pitt (two rivals, one hoops blue blood) it might at least be tempting.
11-03-2023 02:30 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-02-2023 11:04 PM)BeepBeepJeep Wrote:  If we're doing hypotheticals how about the B1G boots Michigan and then ND takes their spot?

LOL

ND might actually consider joining in that situation, though they’d probably go with Michigan to the SEC if that happened.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, Pettiti needs to be very careful here. If the right people at Michigan get the idea that we are headed for a P1 world, I wonder what it would take to convince them that being first to join the SEC would be advantageous?

At the end of the day, Michigan was not being very sporting, but they were going 77 in a 70, not 77 in a 30 here. The inevitable punishment should fit the crime.
11-03-2023 03:00 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-02-2023 07:38 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  ND must be forced, they will not cave if they can continue to skirt the rules

There are no such rules to skirt.

If you think that there are, then name them.
11-03-2023 09:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2023 11:04 PM)BeepBeepJeep Wrote:  If we're doing hypotheticals how about the B1G boots Michigan and then ND takes their spot?

I would prefer just the first part for the fun of it and forget about the second part.
11-03-2023 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(11-02-2023 07:38 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  ND must be forced, they will not cave if they can continue to skirt the rules

I'm always amazed by this popular idea that schools should be "forced" to join a conference....as if CFB wasn't better when there were a lot more independents.
11-03-2023 09:25 AM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls

They don't 'skirt the rules'. They write the rules.

Go Irish!
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2023 09:32 AM by loki_the_bubba.)
11-03-2023 09:29 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
And, anyway, how would Stanford get out of the ACC GoR that the others can't break?
11-03-2023 09:30 AM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(11-03-2023 03:00 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  At the end of the day, Michigan was not being very sporting, but they were going 77 in a 70, not 77 in a 30 here. The inevitable punishment should fit the crime.

What speed was A&M traveling in an 85 mph zone (it's Texas after all) with its 2022 signing class in which "every player was bought" per a well-known figure from Tuscaloosa?
11-03-2023 09:31 AM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10

*B1G Ten stops at 20 w/ Notre Dame and Stanford added
*SEC stops at 20 w/ North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia added
*Both B1G and SEC sign long-term 12 to 15 year TV contracts that are clear in that they will not be paid any more money for adding any additional teams

[...]

bolded - All the other issues with this idea aside, there is pretty much ZERO chance that any conference will sign a deal longer than 10 years. And really, the limit would seem to be even shorter than that.

As several conferences have now learned, there's just no way to predict what the economics will look like that far out.

And no flexibility on expansion? Asking the conferences to blindly tie their hands when an opportunity may show up in the future? Yeah, right, ok. Not happening either.
11-03-2023 09:44 AM
tf8693 Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2023 09:08 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

There are no such rules to skirt.

If you think that there are, then name them.

Scoochpooch's argument can be summed up in four words, and it's the argument of every ND hater on why ND needs to join a conference:

Everyone else does it.

As a reminder, I'm pretty sure that each and every one of us tried that particular argument on our parents at least once in our lives. How did that work out for you? It has the exact same level of credibility here.
11-03-2023 09:45 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I would think ND would prefer Miami instead of Stanford if the big 10 was going to stop at 20 with ND and X. Yet, ND isn’t going to be forced to join the big 10.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2023 09:55 AM by bluesox.)
11-03-2023 09:54 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-03-2023 09:54 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I would think ND would prefer Miami instead of Stanford if the big 10 was going to stop at 20 with ND and X. Yet, ND isn’t going to be forced to join the big 10.

Quite ... the accurate disclaimer in front of any "Notre Dame would prefer to bring X" claim is, "It's a moot point, since ND will stay independent as long as an actual path to the NCC exists for an independent, but Notre Dame would prefer to bring ..."
11-03-2023 10:36 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(11-03-2023 09:25 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  

I'm always amazed by this popular idea that schools should be "forced" to join a conference....as if CFB wasn't better when there were a lot more independents.

Conferences are voluntary organizations.

This guy wants ND to be forced into joining a voluntary organization against its will.

Any logic at work here?
11-03-2023 12:10 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-03-2023 09:31 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(11-03-2023 03:00 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  At the end of the day, Michigan was not being very sporting, but they were going 77 in a 70, not 77 in a 30 here. The inevitable punishment should fit the crime.

What speed was A&M traveling in an 85 mph zone (it's Texas after all) with its 2022 signing class in which "every player was bought" per a well-known figure from Tuscaloosa?

No, no, you misunderstood him. He didn't mean that we actually "bought" the players, that was just, um, a misunderstanding. What he actually meant was that we "legally used our Aggie Bucks to fund NIL consortiums that were, somehow, able to outspend "Alabama Bag Man Inc". Really, that's what he meant.

FYI, not all of our highways are 85. Most of I35 is 75, the only 85 mph area that I can recall is the toll road around Austin. I think that much of I10 west of San Antonio is 85 though.

Circling back though, if A&M, say, just as a theoretical exercise, might have actually used some of that bazillion $$ to "entice" future innocent little student athletes to Join Us in Drinking the Maroon Kool-aid, that would have been more like driving 165 in a 30. But the NCAA can't go after NIL groups b/c they're worried that the SC will just nuke the enitre organization, so they instead go after college basketball coaches who are caught by the FBI on tape offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to 5* studs, no, wait, they punish schools that have no-show A classes for decades, oops, that's not it, probably their strongest play these days is to just go after a guy who can't win a playoff game but hurt a lot of feelings in the B1G with his stealthy scouting tactics (and potentially hurt a Vikings minority owner's feelings, too).
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2023 12:20 PM by bryanw1995.)
11-03-2023 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.