Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis
Bookmark and Share
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP Miners
Memphis
Don't you wish we had a home game against Memphis this year? Memphis is going to be the Utah of this league considering how Utah dominated the old WAC. Memphis will be our biggest new rival now. Memphis will be the team to beat in this conference for years to come, the team we should sell out the Don Haskins Center all the time when playing against them.

Memphis should be could be considered lucky they are not playing the Miners in El Paso this year. When John Calipari and the Tigers come to El Paso next year expect a sold-out Don Haskins Center and a very loud 12,000 Miner fans. John Calipari I don't think has ever been to El Paso and probably doesn't know anything about how it's like playing in El Paso, and I think when he and his Tigers finally step foot here he's finally going to find out just how difficult it is to win in El Paso and just how loud Miner fans can be.
01-25-2006 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sicktrick33 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis

I as a Memphis fan can say that we do not care about UTEP in basketball we respect you in football because we have played you in that sport. I would like to have to play you in your home with the 12,000 ppl, but you are coming to our house and playing in front of about 13,000 not even close to full house. Let
02-02-2006 05:42 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

[quote="sicktrick33"]I as a Memphis fan can say that we do not care about UTEP in basketball we respect you in football because we have played you in that sport. I would like to have to play you in your home with the 12,000 ppl, but you are coming to our house and playing in front of about 13,000 not even close to full house. Let
02-03-2006 12:25 PM
YoKid Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[quote="sicktrick33"]I as a Memphis fan can say that we do not care about UTEP in basketball we respect you in football because we have played you in that sport. I would like to have to play you in your home with the 12,000 ppl, but you are coming to our house and playing in front of about 13,000 not even close to full house. Let
02-07-2006 04:00 PM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

02-08-2006 11:59 PM
sicktrick33 Offline
Bench Warmer

Now I do respect you guy more and I did know that UTEP has a NC but that was a little ways back and now team has ever one a NC while in C-USA. That is like saying that UNLV has a great program becuse they won it back in the day.Great win for your program. Keep it up.
02-09-2006 06:21 PM
Advertisement

egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!

I am looking forward to a great rivalry with UTEP over time and can not wait for a spirited game.

No smack talk here, I am a little nervous. We beat ya'll in football when we were not supposed to, I hope you do not reverse the trend in basketball.

Come hard--or don't come at all!! 04-jawdrop
02-21-2006 07:23 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Up until this year, Memphis played Louisville at Freedom Hall and Cincinnatti at The Shoe every year. Your place may be loud but I doubt it is louder that the two I just mentoned. We are used to hostile envoronments. Just watch TV tomorrow night and get an eyeful and earful of the Fed Ex Forum. Unfortunately the game is a late night weekday game and we will probaby not have 18,500 there. This is the finest college basketball facility in the nation and is located right off Beale Street.
02-22-2006 12:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

DallasTiger Wrote:Up until this year, Memphis played Louisville at Freedom Hall and Cincinnatti at The Shoe every year. Your place may be loud but I doubt it is louder that the two I just mentoned.

You're going to find out next year just how wrong you are. We may not be "louder" but it will be at the same "loud" level atmosphere just as those two arenas.
02-22-2006 01:14 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Proud El Pasoan Wrote:
DallasTiger Wrote:Up until this year, Memphis played Louisville at Freedom Hall and Cincinnatti at The Shoe every year. Your place may be loud but I doubt it is louder that the two I just mentoned.

You're going to find out next year just how wrong you are. We may not be "louder" but it will be at the same "loud" level atmosphere just as those two arenas.

And we beat Louisville pretty soundly at Louisville the year they went to the final 4. Memphis is used to all of that;...believe me.
02-22-2006 09:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

DallasTiger Wrote:Memphis is used to all of that;...believe me.

And you think we're not? We've played at tough and loud arenas in the past you know. Some of our best known rivals have been Utah, BYU and New Mexico who all have had a lot of basketball success in their histories.
02-22-2006 01:01 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

The Kittens think they're dealing with the ECUs, UCFs, Southern Miss, SMUs and Rices of the world (when it comes to men's hoops). UTEP has a NC, has beaten teams in the Top 5 and #1 seeds in the Tourney, our players have played in bigger and more hostile arenas. In other words...been there....done that.

This "we Memphis are the best thing since sliced bread" crap is getting boring. UTEP has beaten better teams at home and on the road....Next..
02-22-2006 06:55 PM
jhallmphs Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

apparently not
02-23-2006 12:34 AM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

jhallmphs Wrote:apparently not

So tonight may have not been our night. What you don't think we've beaten better teams at home, on the road and in the NCAA tourney before? Here's some history: The Miners upset the top seeded Kansas Jayhawks, who were ranked 2nd in the country, in the second round of the 1992 NCAA tournament. The Miners upset 10th ranked New Mexico here in El Paso some years ago. And in an exhibition in 2003, the Miners upset the Harlem Globetrotters who had beaten every team they had visited including the defending national champion that year. So that say that we haven't "been there done that" cause we have.
02-23-2006 01:04 AM
mapdude Online
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators

Proud El Pasoan Wrote:
jhallmphs Wrote:apparently not

So tonight may have not been our night. What you don't think we've beaten better teams at home, on the road and in the NCAA tourney before? Here's some history: The Miners upset the top seeded Kansas Jayhawks, who were ranked 2nd in the country, in the second round of the 1992 NCAA tournament. The Miners upset 10th ranked New Mexico here in El Paso some years ago. And in an exhibition in 2003, the Miners upset the Harlem Globetrotters who had beaten every team they had visited including the defending national champion that year. So that say that we haven't "been there done that" cause we have.

I'm aware of the UTEP tradition in hoops and that's great, CUSA needs it. THis year, the Tigers are finally reaping the fruits of Calipari's recruiting efforts because everyone showed up instead of jumping to the NBA. 2 years ago, your current team would have given Memphis all it could handle. Memphis has not had much NCAA success in the last 10 years, most of their success has been in the NIT (3 Final Fours, one Championship).

Reality is that Memphis is going to be very good for the next few years considering their youth and the recruits coming in. Calipari has finally got the train moving in the right direction.

Hopefully, Memphis's success will translate into and eleveated recruiting success for the other teams in the conference and the level of competion will get better. UTEP, UAB and Houston are almost there. The others in the league have a way to go, but they can get it done.

Here is a scarey thought. Memphis brings everybody back next year (of significance) except Carney (assuming noone jumps to the NBA), and adds 4 quality recruits. Based on what we have observed this year, where do you think they would be ranked? They could posibly be a #1 preseason ranking. UTEP will have to do some fabulous recruiting to be able to match that, and get a win in El Paso.

Whatever happens, I, for one, am glad that you guys are now with us in C-USA. I look forward to many interesting, hard fought games in the future.
02-23-2006 08:32 AM
Diablosisaminerfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

DallasTiger Wrote:Up until this year, Memphis played Louisville at Freedom Hall and Cincinnatti at The Shoe every year. Your place may be loud but I doubt it is louder that the two I just mentoned. We are used to hostile envoronments. Just watch TV tomorrow night and get an eyeful and earful of the Fed Ex Forum. Unfortunately the game is a late night weekday game and we will probaby not have 18,500 there. This is the finest college basketball facility in the nation and is located right off Beale Street.

sorry to bug in late but 45 other teams in the past 3 years found out how "loud" it was at the don. Nobody i mean nobody likes to play here, just ask rice or any other former wac teams. This is no ut-austin home game, even the pricks at espn commented on our fans, "utep has the most knowledgeable basketball fans in the entire state of texas". We'll just have to look forward to next year.

btw, i think one of the loudest home court was new mexico, i think they said something about topping at 115 dB. Thats equivalent to a still running jet engine. But that was a couple of years ago, FYI.
03-30-2006 02:21 AM
Advertisement

DC Tiger Fan Offline
Bench Warmer

UTEP is third fiddle to Memphis, you can't compare yourselves to us. (UAB is second) lmfao lmfao lmfao
04-07-2006 09:13 PM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

DC Tiger Fan Wrote:UTEP is third fiddle to Memphis, you can't compare yourselves to us. (UAB is second) lmfao lmfao lmfao

Oh really? You all were braging about going undefeated this past season yet UAB beat you at their place and we thrashed UAB, who you claim to be second here in El Paso. Maybe you better be glad that you didn't play us here in El Paso because what happened to UAB could have very well happened to the Tigers if they played us here in our house.

Nobody, I mean nobody likes having to play the Miners in the Don Haskins Center, especially when the crowd is sold-out and is loud and crazy. Just remember the Tigers come to El Paso next season......... 05-stirthepot 05-mafia
04-11-2006 06:00 PM
DC Tiger Fan Offline
Bench Warmer

12,000 fans to 18,200 fans I don't think so! Besides our venue is practically brand new.
05-07-2006 07:51 AM
UTEPPacker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Quote:btw, i think one of the loudest home court was new mexico, i think they said something about topping at 115 dB. Thats equivalent to a still running jet engine. But that was a couple of years ago, FYI.

That game was loud, but the loudest I can remember was the Georgetown game where we destroyed them, I couldnt hear myself think in that game.
05-07-2006 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.