Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Power Rankings - After Week 8
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Power Rankings - After Week 8
I'll start it off I guess.

After plugging in all the weekly wins and losses, looks like the tiers are starting to cement themselves. A lot of teams at the top. I have a feeling is teams at the bottom are gonna be fish food for the teams at the top going forward.

Week 8

(+/-) from last week

Tier 1
JMU
Troy
Georgia State
Georgia Southern (+1)
Texas State

Tier 2
South Alabama (+1)
Coastal Carolina (+1)

Tier 3
ODU (+1)
Louisiana (-1)

Tier 4
Marshall (-1)
App State (-1)

Tier 5
stAte
ULM
Southern Miss
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 07:25 AM by rileylives.)
10-22-2023 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: Power Rankings - After Week 8
1) JMU
2) Troy
3) South
4) Ga State
5) Louisiana
6) GS
7) Coastal
8) Texas State
9) Marshall
10) ODU
11) App
12) stAte
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss
10-22-2023 06:35 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2023 06:35 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  1) JMU
2) Troy
3) South
4) Ga State
5) Louisiana
6) GS
7) Coastal
8) Texas State
9) Marshall
10) ODU
11) App
12) stAte
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss

Louisiana should objectively be ninth. Georgia Southern fifth.

And South Alabama is ranked somewhere in the middle.

At this point, when in doubt, the East team should always objectively get the higher ranking when all things considered.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 07:22 AM by rileylives.)
10-22-2023 07:21 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(10-22-2023 07:21 AM)rileylives Wrote:  
2) Troy
3) South
4) Ga State
5) Louisiana
6) GS
7) Coastal
8) Texas State
9) Marshall
10) ODU
11) App
12) stAte
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss

At this point, when in doubt, the East team should always objectively get the higher ranking when all things considered.

What a dumb take.
10-22-2023 07:44 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2023 07:44 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
2) Troy
3) South
4) Ga State
5) Louisiana
6) GS
7) Coastal
8) Texas State
9) Marshall
10) ODU
11) App
12) stAte
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss

What a dumb take.

Yes, because the West is lighting it up this year

03-shhhh

How else should one look at it? The East is 8-1...Troy over Georgia State is it.
10-22-2023 07:49 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
1. JMU
2. Troy
3. Georgia St
4. Louisiana
5. South Alabama
6. Marshall
7. Georgia Southern
8. Coastal Carolina
9. Texas St
10. ODU
11. App
12. ULM
13. Arkansas St
14. Southern Miss
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 09:06 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
10-22-2023 08:07 AM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
It’s not like the west is bad, though.

This is a very hot take so don’t holler at me. First cup of coffee.

1. JMU
2. Troy
3. GAST
4. TXST
5. GASO
6. USA
7. ODU
8. CCU
9. Louisiana
10. App St.
11. Marshall
12. stAte
13. ULM
14. Southern Miss
10-22-2023 08:18 AM
herdfan2013 Online
1st String

1 JMU
2 Troy
3 Georgia St
4 Georgia Southern
5 Texas St
6 South Al
7 ODU
8 Coastal
9 App
10 Marshall
11 Louisiana
12 Ark St
13 ULM
14 USM
10-22-2023 08:33 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Best of the SBC- championship contenders
1) JMU (7-0)*- Most complete team with a dominant run defense and a capable offense. JMU is usually the team that makes less mistake on the field. Very consistent and focused on the field. That's indicative of good coaching. (asterisk because they are not eligible for SBC Championship)
2) Troy (5-2)- Nothing really to say. A great defense at every level. It's hard to run or pass against this team. Offense can be lackluster besides Vidal, but does just enough.
3) GSU (6-1)- The Panthers hasn't put together a complete game yet all season, but this team is finding new ways to win at 6-1. Iron Mike installed a culture of mental toughness to finish games. #sowhatnowwhat
4) Georgia Southern (5-2)- They have good skilled players at receiver and running back. Find ways to deliver the ball in their hands, and they will make plays in open space. The QB shows questionable decision at times into coverage, and I think he is who he is at this point in his career: a gunslinger who takes risks. OL protection has been an issue, giving up 15 sacks thus far. Defense can be opportunistic and does enough to give them a chance.
5) South Alabama (4-3)- I see good talents on both sides of the ball, just inconsistent in execution. They beat up two bottom teams in a row like a good team should. Have they turned the corner? The SBC West is a wide open race, and everything is still in front of the Jaguars.

---
Good- Can beat anyone. Could move up or down from here.
6) Texas State (5-2)- They're 5-2 and doesn't get credit as much as they deserve. TJ Finley is the real deal, throwing for nearly 2000 yards with 14 TDs 3 INTs. Mahdi is an underrated RB with over 7 yards per carry. There's a group of receivers to spread around the ball. They'd be up there in the "contender" group had they beaten Louisiana. If they beat Troy next weekend however...
7) Louisiana (4-3)- Zeon Chriss is the next Levi Lewis, but with better athleticism. He is still working on making reads as a freshman, but the ability to create yards with his legs can't be taught. The stable of RBs struggled mightily against Georgia State, but they are normally a reliable bunch with a combination of speed and toughness. Defense is one the better ones in the league, allowing a bit over 200 yards via passing and 150 yards rushing per game. They are the dark horse in the West, and will go far as their freshman QB will take them.
8) Coastal Carolina (4-3)- They still have McCall. They'll always have a chance with him at the helm. Their group of receivers is perhaps the best in conference. OL protection struggled at times, not giving McCall enough time or a clean look. Defense is deceptively decent to my eyes, and their defensive stats of giving up 251 yards passing and 149 yards rushing per game validates it.
9) Marshall (4-3)- Make no mistake, their defense is better than it looks. The front seven is big and physical. The secondary only allows 192 yards per game, which is pretty damn elite. That said, I've seen some mental lapses in assignment football, as well as missed tackles that allows big chunk plays. Offense revolves around healthy Cam Fancher and Rasheen Ali; unfortunately missing both currently and the main reason why they tumbled all the way down here for the moment.

--
Decent- fighting for bowl eligibility
10) Old Dominion (4-3)- I admit, I spent the least amount of time watching the Monarchs. They just keep winning games they're not suppose to. Statistically, they're one of the worst offenses in the league. 197 passing yards per game aren't great by any means. Rushing average of 161 ypg is middle of the pack. The OL may be the worst in the league, allowing alarming 28 sacks through seven games. They are heavy underdogs for the remainder of the season vs JMU, Coastal, Liberty, GSU, and GS, but who knows, ODU keeps proving the doubters wrong.
11) Appalachian State (3-4)- I know they're not as terrible as their record says. We know about the tough loss at Wyoming and the 2OT loss to UNC, but giving up nearly 200 yards rushing per game is very uncharacteristic of the Mountaineers defense we're accustomed to. App State's identity used to be having the killer instinct to finish games, but I haven't seen that this season either. Perhaps Satterfield's recruits have graduated, or the staff has changed too much too fast. Realistically, they had to beat ODU to feel safe about reaching bowl eligibility. They have to find 3 wins between JMU, Marshall, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Southern Miss.

--
Bottom- playing for pride at this point
12-14) Arkansas State, ULM, Southern Miss- There's no need to kick while they're down. It's not all doom and gloom. All of these teams have some pieces in place, but not enough to overcome their glaring deficiencies.
10-22-2023 08:46 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I ain’t no south fan obviously. But y’all are crazy as **** to put south in the middle lol. South could very will win this entire league the way they are playing right now. I don’t give two ***** about their CMU game. They got 1 conference loss in a very close game with JMU just the same as Troy. No one in the East has come close to competing with JMU yet.
10-22-2023 08:53 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

2) Troy
3) South
4) Ga State
5) Louisiana
6) GS
7) Coastal
8) Texas State
9) Marshall
10) ODU
11) App
12) stAte
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss

The west gonna win the SBC championship if JMU ain’t in it and that’s just the facts lol.
10-22-2023 08:58 AM
Advertisement

Just Louisiana Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana RC
(10-22-2023 08:46 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Best of the SBC- championship contenders
1) JMU (7-0)*- Most complete team with a dominant run defense and a capable offense. JMU is usually the team that makes less mistake on the field. Very consistent and focused on the field. That's indicative of good coaching. (asterisk because they are not eligible for SBC Championship)
2) Troy (5-2)- Nothing really to say. A great defense at every level. It's hard to run or pass against this team. Offense can be lackluster besides Vidal, but does just enough.
3) GSU (6-1)- The Panthers hasn't put together a complete game yet all season, but this team is finding new ways to win at 6-1. Iron Mike installed a culture of mental toughness to finish games. #sowhatnowwhat
4) Georgia Southern (5-2)- They have good skilled players at receiver and running back. Find ways to deliver the ball in their hands, and they will make plays in open space. The QB shows questionable decision at times into coverage, and I think he is who he is at this point in his career: a gunslinger who takes risks. OL protection has been an issue, giving up 15 sacks thus far. Defense can be opportunistic and does enough to give them a chance.
5) South Alabama (4-3)- I see good talents on both sides of the ball, just inconsistent in execution. They beat up two bottom teams in a row like a good team should. Have they turned the corner? The SBC West is a wide open race, and everything is still in front of the Jaguars.

---
6) Texas State (5-2)- They're 5-2 and doesn't get credit as much as they deserve. TJ Finley is the real deal, throwing for nearly 2000 yards with 14 TDs 3 INTs. Mahdi is an underrated RB with over 7 yards per carry. There's a group of receivers to spread around the ball. They'd be up there in the "contender" group had they beaten Louisiana. If they beat Troy next weekend however...
7) Louisiana (4-3)- Zeon Chriss is the next Levi Lewis, but with better athleticism. He is still working on making reads as a freshman, but the ability to create yards with his legs can't be taught. The stable of RBs struggled mightily against Georgia State, but they are normally a reliable bunch with a combination of speed and toughness. Defense is one the better ones in the league, allowing a bit over 200 yards via passing and 150 yards rushing per game. They are the dark horse in the West, and will go far as their freshman QB will take them.
8) Coastal Carolina (4-3)- They still have McCall. They'll always have a chance with him at the helm. Their group of receivers is perhaps the best in conference. OL protection struggled at times, not giving McCall enough time or a clean look. Defense is deceptively decent to my eyes, and their defensive stats of giving up 251 yards passing and 149 yards rushing per game validates it.
9) Marshall (4-3)- Make no mistake, their defense is better than it looks. The front seven is big and physical. The secondary only allows 192 yards per game, which is pretty damn elite. That said, I've seen some mental lapses in assignment football, as well as missed tackles that allows big chunk plays. Offense revolves around healthy Cam Fancher and Rasheen Ali; unfortunately missing both currently and the main reason why they tumbled all the way down here for the moment.

--
10) Old Dominion (4-3)- I admit, I spent the least amount of time watching the Monarchs. They just keep winning games they're not suppose to. Statistically, they're one of the worst offenses in the league. 197 passing yards per game aren't great by any means. Rushing average of 161 ypg is middle of the pack. The OL may be the worst in the league, allowing alarming 28 sacks through seven games. They are heavy underdogs for the remainder of the season vs JMU, Coastal, Liberty, GSU, and GS, but who knows, ODU keeps proving the doubters wrong.
11) Appalachian State (3-4)- I know they're not as terrible as their record says. We know about the tough loss at Wyoming and the 2OT loss to UNC, but giving up nearly 200 yards rushing per game is very uncharacteristic of the Mountaineers defense we're accustomed to. App State's identity used to be having the killer instinct to finish games, but I haven't seen that this season either. Perhaps Satterfield's recruits have graduated, or the staff has changed too much too fast. Realistically, they had to beat ODU to feel safe about reaching bowl eligibility. They have to find 3 wins between JMU, Marshall, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Southern Miss.

--
12-14) Arkansas State, ULM, Southern Miss- There's no need to kick while they're down. It's not all doom and gloom. All of these teams have some pieces in place, but not enough to overcome their glaring deficiencies.
I like your take on where everyone is right now. Thank you.
10-22-2023 09:06 AM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-22-2023 09:06 AM)Just Louisiana Wrote:  
(10-22-2023 08:46 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Best of the SBC- championship contenders

---

--

--
I like your take on where everyone is right now. Thank you.
I agree. This is a very accurate and well thought out take.
10-22-2023 09:27 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Dookies (pains me to type)
Panther
Trojan
BOBCAT (Absolutely NO Bias)
ODU
Southern (The Ga. One)
Cajun (We let ‘em off the Hook)
Jags
Herd
Beach Chicks
Appy
Red Woof
ULM (Un Lucky Monroe)
Southern (The Miss. one)

Flame Away . . .
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 09:51 AM by Bobcat87.)
10-22-2023 09:50 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
1. JMU
2. Troy
3. South Alabama
4. Georgia State
5. Georgia Southern
6. Old Dominion
7. Marshall
8. Louisiana
9. Texas State
10. Coastal Carolina
11. Appalachian State
12. Arkansas State
13. Louisiana Monroe
14. Southern Miss
10-22-2023 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
1) James Madison
---
2) Georgia State
3) Troy
---
4) Georgia Southern
5) Texas State
6) South Alabama
7) Coastal Carolina
8) Marshall
9) Louisiana
10) Old Dominion
11) App State
---
12) Arkansas State
---
13) ULM
14) Southern Miss
15) East Carolina

Computer rankings, Troy fans think I'm dumb, etc etc.
10-22-2023 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

(10-22-2023 09:50 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Dookies (pains me to type)

Flame Away . . .

I’m just impressed you can read.

It’s “Dukes” spelled “Y-O-U-R D-A-D-D-Y.”
10-22-2023 12:04 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-22-2023 12:04 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  
(10-22-2023 09:50 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Dookies (pains me to type)

Flame Away . . .

I’m just impressed you can read.

It’s “Dukes” spelled “Y-O-U-R D-A-D-D-Y.”

Naawww, we’re Orphans, we ain’t got no Daddy, but nice try. BTW, since YOU brought it up: It’s “BOBCATS” Not Robertcats.

You want a little respect, try giving some . . .
10-22-2023 01:12 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2023 08:53 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  I ain’t no south fan obviously. But y’all are crazy as **** to put south in the middle lol. South could very will win this entire league the way they are playing right now. I don’t give two ***** about their CMU game. They got 1 conference loss in a very close game with JMU just the same as Troy. No one in the East has come close to competing with JMU yet.

I don’t know I’d call the jmu south Alabama game close.

It was 31-10 with 8 minutes to go in the game and at no time did jmu feel like they weren’t going to win that game.
10-22-2023 01:18 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
1. Troy's daddy.
2. Troy
3. That stupid Train Horn
4. Train Horn's bitter rival
5. Fighting red peppers
6. Less scary mascot than its domesticated distant cousin
7. Remember when they were undefeated?
8. Troy's little brother
9. Still not located on a beach
10. Only beat Southern Miss by 3.
11. 2 years in a row with no bowl?
12. Stupid bird with goggles
13. Mascot is practically extinct
14. Dumpster Fire
10-22-2023 01:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.